Prospect Info: Marco Rossi, Center, 9th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He can be better and still be stuck behind.
Very true, but I didn't say anything about what line he plays on. The point remains, if Rossi isn't the best player on that 4th rate team, then he isn't ready to play in the NHL

Death of Rats

Jan 28, 2012
Blashyrkh
ZSC Lions are likely not counting on Rossi to stay in there for the whole season. He was just an added bonus to their team, not one they built around. They likely want their actual no. 1 center playing the top minutes over a rental, and they probably value points in the standings over development of Rossi.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Every single one of them better be.

Pius Suter is a Sturm level prospect.
You're confusing potential with level of player they currently are. Not a single player in the top ten, maybe Lafreniere, torched the NL in their draft years like Suter did last year.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You're confusing potential with level of player they currently are. Not a single player in the top ten, maybe Lafreniere, torched the NL in their draft years like Suter did last year.
And you're confusing the Swiss league with leagues that are actually talented. We're talking ECHL level here.

You're also extremely overrating what Suter did last season.

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
And you're confusing the Swiss league with leagues that are actually talented. We're talking ECHL level here.

You're also extremely overrating what Suter did last season.
That pretty much says it all. What would be the incentive for someone to play in the ECHL, making 20k a year, when they could also play in the Swiss League and make 100-500k? The Swiss league is the best league in the tier of leagues that includes Liiga, Czech, and DEL.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That pretty much says it all. What would be the incentive for someone to play in the ECHL, making 20k a year, when they could also play in the Swiss League and make 100-500k? The Swiss league is the best league in the tier of leagues that includes Liiga, Czech, and DEL.
Why are you acting like players are lining up for a chance to play in Switzerland?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't know what the translation is between Matthews scoring at 1.28 per game in his draft year as a near "generational" presumptive #1 pick, and what Rossi might do in 2 months as whatever player we all think he is or might be.

I'm guessing, in the end, it's not going to matter all that much.

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Why are you acting like players are lining up for a chance to play in Switzerland?
They’ve been drawing a lot of the best imports recently. Not Like the KHL, or even the SHL, but certainly you’re seeing the top-end AHL players flock over there. There’s a few things that go into, but for I’ll try and keep it simple for you. The more a job pays, the more selective the employer can be. The NL is paying more than just about any European league these days outside of the KHL and SHL. I get that it’s not like it’s the KHL, but it’s definelty not a significantly worse league than the AHL. Just look at the players on some of the rosters. There’s tons of guys who were top 6 AHLers and even a few fringe NHLers on each team.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
They’ve been drawing a lot of the best imports recently. Not Like the KHL, or even the SHL, but certainly you’re seeing the top-end AHL players flock over there. There’s a few things that go into, but for I’ll try and keep it simple for you. The more a job pays, the more selective the employer can be. The NL is paying more than just about any European league these days outside of the KHL and SHL. I get that it’s not like it’s the KHL, but it’s definelty not a significantly worse league than the AHL. Just look at the players on some of the rosters. There’s tons of guys who were top 6 AHLers and even a few fringe NHLers on each team.
Daniel Winnik was a top 5 goal scorer last year. Garrett Roe was 2nd in scoring. Just stop.

Last edited by a moderator:

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Daniel Winnik was a top 5 goal scorer last year. Garrett Roe was 2nd in scoring. Just stop.
Go ask anyone. The NL is a far better league than the ECHL. Winnik was a .25ppg player for the Wild before he left for the league, he’s be doing well in any European league. Saying that one of the best scorers in the league was.. an import from the NHL really proves your point aye? You’re the one that made the outlandish statement that “every top 10 pick should be better than Pius Suter.” If you still don’t understand why that doesn’t make sense I don’t know how I can help you.

Last edited by a moderator:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
What is the expectation of Rossi? IMO- I expect him to be better than a fringe NHLer right now.

If the best players in Switzerland are fringe NHLers or worse, then how can you not expect Rossi to be one of the best players in Switzerland?

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
He's going to play men (fringe NHL'er) regularly the first time of his life. He might need a few games to adjust (new team, european ice-surface, new coaches,...) but in the end he will do well in Switzerland. This is the best preparation for the NHL he can get. So please calm down and let Rossi play a few weeks there before you get inpatient and call him a bust.

Reactions: 57special

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
i completely disagree. Lessons and failing are how humans by nature learn what not to do. Basic psychology. How many times did someone tell you not to do something and you did it anyways? its only by learning the hard way that bad habits are broken. Sheltering someone only holds them back from reaching their potential. while trial by fire allows a person to see their flaws and work on them.

Perhaps there aren't too many on this board that are old enough to remember Brian Lawton. I had really high hopes when the Minnesota drafted this kid. He didn't want to play in the Olympics so he went straight to the NHL from high school. I remember attending one game and he sat on the bench for what seemed like the entire game. And that sad goofy look on his face I'll never forget. I felt sorry for him. No way he should have played even one game that year.

Reactions: BagHead

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The players I have talked to say that the NL is much improved, but no way is it as good as the AHL What the NL demands now and for the past few years is that a player has to have played in the AHL( or better) league, whereas in the old days you could come from a lesser league and still be able to play there.

Having said that, the ECHL has some really good players. Both it, and the AHL are underrated, IMO.

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra
The players I have talked to say that the NL is much improved, but no way is it as good as the AHL What the NL demands now and for the past few years is that a player has to have played in the AHL( or better) league, whereas in the old days you could come from a lesser league and still be able to play there.

Having said that, the ECHL has some really good players. Both it, and the AHL are underrated, IMO.
I think we need a poll. Is a beer league a lessor league?

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Very true, but I didn't say anything about what line he plays on. The point remains, if Rossi isn't the best player on that 4th rate team, then he isn't ready to play in the NHL
What do you know about their coach? Their team hierarchy? This is clearly a short term deal. Why would they give him top minutes, etc.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
pat lalalalalalalalalafontaine! went #2 and was a 50 goal scorer instead of lawton kinda one & done. i f'n remember.

I'm afraid you are misremembering that. The top 4 should have gone in the exact opposite order of how they actually went.
1983 Draft

Lawton was not a one and done. He was more of a this-didn't-quite-work-but-he's-still-an-NHLer-for-years-and-done. My modern day comparison would be Alex Galchenyuk. But yeah, thrusting Lawton into the league and not removing him when it wasn't working probably wasn't the best for his development. That type of developmental "strategy" reminds me of how the Oilers and Blue Jackets stunted the growth of some of their high draft picks for years. Some of that may be due to bad scouting, but many of the 1st round choices of both teams were considered pretty consensus picks. I've been glad to at least see the Jackets get away from doing that as much.

Reactions: Windy River

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
I'm afraid you are misremembering that. The top 4 should have gone in the exact opposite order of how they actually went.
1983 Draft

Lawton was not a one and done. He was more of a this-didn't-quite-work-but-he's-still-an-NHLer-for-years-and-done. My modern day comparison would be Alex Galchenyuk. But yeah, thrusting Lawton into the league and not removing him when it wasn't working probably wasn't the best for his development. That type of developmental "strategy" reminds me of how the Oilers and Blue Jackets stunted the growth of some of their high draft picks for years. Some of that may be due to bad scouting, but many of the 1st round choices of both teams were considered pretty consensus picks. I've been glad to at least see the Jackets get away from doing that as much.

Fascinating !!

What a strong draft! Yzerman, Neely, Lafontaine... plus many more! And prone to the typical ‘missed opportunities’ we see every year.. Rich Tocchet at 121st..

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Perhaps there aren't too many on this board that are old enough to remember Brian Lawton. I had really high hopes when the Minnesota drafted this kid. He didn't want to play in the Olympics so he went straight to the NHL from high school. I remember attending one game and he sat on the bench for what seemed like the entire game. And that sad goofy look on his face I'll never forget. I felt sorry for him. No way he should have played even one game that year.

one could argue he just was a bust of a draft pick. There are PLENTY of examples of players that have stepped right into the NHL right out of their draft year and have succeeded. Throwing a player in right away shows them what they need to work on and how fast being in the big league really is. If a persons persona cant handle that adversity they shouldnt be in the big league to begin with.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It makes no sense to me to bring in Rossi in a lame duck year, unless he is absolutely torching the Swiss league, AND Covid numbers are way down/vaccine is ready. We have 13 forwards as is, with only Sturm being waiver protected. Do we really want to send Sturm down, when he really deserves and needs to see NHL time for his development?

In a year when franchises are going to be bleeding money, I can't see Leipold being happy about sending Rask down. Even if Johansson and Bjugstad get injured, then I think that MN will bring up someone like Mayhew, rather than bring Rossi over from SWI.

Even borrowing him to come over for training camp will be problematic. He will have to quarantine both ways, which could add up to 3-4 weeks of the season.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
What do you know about their coach? Their team hierarchy? This is clearly a short term deal. Why would they give him top minutes, etc.
How does any of this relate in any way to anything that I said?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It makes no sense to me to bring in Rossi in a lame duck year, unless he is absolutely torching the Swiss league, AND Covid numbers are way down/vaccine is ready. We have 13 forwards as is, with only Sturm being waiver protected. Do we really want to send Sturm down, when he really deserves and needs to see NHL time for his development?

In a year when franchises are going to be bleeding money, I can't see Leipold being happy about sending Rask down. Even if Johansson and Bjugstad get injured, then I think that MN will bring up someone like Mayhew, rather than bring Rossi over from SWI.

Even borrowing him to come over for training camp will be problematic. He will have to quarantine both ways, which could add up to 3-4 weeks of the season.

Because it's not a lame duck year. If Talbot is average, this is a playoff team. If Kaprizov and Rossi are good, it might be a good playoff team. If Talbot is good, it might be a good playoff team.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
1983 Draft

the way i remember it was we needed a goal scorer and i believe lafontaine was ranked higher than yzerman or neely im not talking about hinesight im talking about when the draft happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->