Sportsnet Marchand says first few games upon return will be ‘really, really ugly’

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Marchand says first few games upon return will be 'really, really ugly' - Sportsnet.ca

It’s the job of the NHLer right now to just be ready so that if the league is cleared to play again, they’re fit enough to start back up for playoff season.

But speaking on his own conference call on Thursday, Boston’s said just being off the ice for so long would lead to side effects on its own.

“The toughest thing is, it doesn’t matter what you do off the ice, you can run, you can bike, but nothing will really simulate the workout you get on the ice. You can’t duplicate it, you can’t replicate it,” he said.

“It doesn’t matter who does what in this break we’re all going to feel awful coming back. We’re all going to be bad. It’s going to take a while to get it back. That’s probably the biggest concern. If you take guys that have been off that have had limited opportunity to work out and haven’t skated in months, you can’t just throw them back into games.

“Everybody’s going to get hurt. There’s gotta be some kind of ramp up period. It’s going to be really, really ugly for the first few games so it’d be nice to get a couple games before playoffs start, otherwise it’s really a free for all.”

And then there’s the idea of playing without fans. Sure, Marchand will continue to be the same pest of a player to his opponents, but if he can’t have that interaction with people watching the game, something will be missing.

Right at a time when the games would be at their most important, Marchand says a key part of that whole environment will be noticeably absent.

“It would be like a practice really. That’s kinda the way it’d feel,” he said. “One of the most exciting things about the game is having the fans there for support and the energy and the momentum swings they can create.

“But if that’s what it takes for us to get back on the ice and play, we just want to get on the ice and play. Hopefully they can find a way to make that happen. If it’s without fans, it’s without fans. We just want a shot to get that Cup.”

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Ok. You’ve identified a potential problem. Fix it.

Last edited:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
you can do the best you can and give yourself a competitive advantage. Find a way.

I don’t think you understand.

These guys are likely all working out as hard as they can with what they have. But they are hockey players. Even in the summer, you can get on ice regularly. Not being able to skate will only allow any level of working out to bring you so far.

Sounds like the cabin fever has got you good. Not sure how you’re calling the guy a “jackass” over such innocent remarks.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

These guys are likely all working out as hard as they can with what they have. But they are hockey players. Even in the summer, you can get on ice regularly. Not being able to skate will only allow any level of working out to bring you so far.

Sounds like the cabin fever has got you good. Not sure how you’re calling the guy a “jackass” over such innocent remarks.

Guilty. it’s ok to disagree. You can easily read the quotes as pushing excuses before anything happens.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada

Anyone that has played hockey at rep / junior level will understand what Marchand is talking about. I am no where near an NHL player, however, I played Junior hockey and still play in a competitive beer league. One year I took the summer off, did not skate for around 4 months and OMG. When I got back on the ice, it was like I had not played for years. Your timing, passing, edgework, stamina, etc were all missing. It took me until Christmas to find my game again at playing once a week.

Reactions: Strafer and Estlin

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Anyone that has played hockey at rep / junior level will understand what Marchand is talking about. I am no where near an NHL player, however, I played Junior hockey and still play in a competitive beer league. One year I took the summer off, did not skate for around 4 months and OMG. When I got back on the ice, it was like I had not played for years. Your timing, passing, edgework, stamina, etc were all missing. It took me until Christmas to find my game again at playing once a week.

I’m a decent skater, but at this point in my life, often only skate on ponds and lakes during the winter.

The first 10 or so minutes is usually relearning what the f*** I’m doing. Like you said, its obviously a bit different for professionals who have dedicated their life to the game, but muscle memory (along with strength) wears off pretty quickly.

Reactions: Estlin

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
Jez me thinks somebody doesn't like Marchand?
He was just giving his thoughts on the likely affects this lockdown will have on all players. Nothing at all to do with making excuses.

Anywho, it would be bizarre to see the playoffs played in empty arenas. I wonder how significant the intensity drop off would be without the energy of a crowd and would it tarnish the cup somewhat for whomever won it, if indeed it was to be won that way?

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Gotta look at the bright side of covid19......at least we won't have to worry about marchand licking anyone else.

member 96824

Yeah you look at Willy Nylander last year's start and that's going to be everyone.

Even just going overseas threw people off. I think we all remember a lot of players who went overseas for the lockout and then came back and looked like they had never played hockey before in their lives.

The good news is it will be everyone in that camp, so it doesn't really matter all that much. I just worry a bit about injuries.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Let the season end for god sake. Figure out a process that's fair for every one concerning the draft. Everything else keep the same dates for FA, buyouts and such

I would rather watch no hockey than bad hockey.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I for one hope the regular season continues a little bit so I can watch the last few Arizona Coyotes games, because you know that Phil Kessel has spent this quarantine eating pizza and donuts and will show up to camp at 280 pounds.

Reactions: Strafer and Ladyfan

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Yeah you look at Willy Nylander last year's start and that's going to be everyone.

Even just going overseas threw people off. I think we all remember a lot of players who went overseas for the lockout and then came back and looked like they had never played hockey before in their lives.

The good news is it will be everyone in that camp, so it doesn't really matter all that much. I just worry a bit about injuries.

This reminds me - AFAIK, the Bruins are still slated to start the 2020-21 season in the Czech Republic against the Preds. They need to cancel that. Like, now. Granted, I'm in the "it was a silly gimmick even before coronavirus" crowd, but right now, it's at best wasteful, and at worst irresponsible. Reschedule it for the 2021-22 opener.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
This reminds me - AFAIK, the Bruins are still slated to start the 2020-21 season in the Czech Republic against the Preds. They need to cancel that. Like, now. Granted, I'm in the "it was a silly gimmick even before coronavirus" crowd, but right now, it's at best wasteful, and at worst irresponsible. Reschedule it for the 2021-22 opener.

I think they're going to wait to see what the actual plan is for reopening.

Like if this calms down by May and we can get our playoffs in in June/July, then maybe they can push back the start of the 20-21 season a little bit to give us a full offseason, the you'd cancel/postpone the Prague series. But if we cancel 19-20 altogether as of now and decide to start 20-21 on time, you can keep it. Though it would kind of be unfair if after all the waiting for sports the first Bruins game is halfway around the world.

Reactions: Strafer

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I’m a decent skater, but at this point in my life, often only skate on ponds and lakes during the winter.

The first 10 or so minutes is usually relearning what the f*** I’m doing. Like you said, its obviously a bit different for professionals who have dedicated their life to the game, but muscle memory (along with strength) wears off pretty quickly.
Glad to hear you still put on the blades! Stay safe

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I think they're going to wait to see what the actual plan is for reopening.

Like if this calms down by May and we can get our playoffs in in June/July, then maybe they can push back the start of the 20-21 season a little bit to give us a full offseason, the you'd cancel/postpone the Prague series. But if we cancel 19-20 altogether as of now and decide to start 20-21 on time, you can keep it. Though it would kind of be unfair if after all the waiting for sports the first Bruins game is halfway around the world.
I don't think you can cancel this season. It messes everything up, including the draft that usually takes place in June.
My thought would be to restart the season when it is safe, say Sept/Oct and complete the playoffs by November, take 2-3 weeks off, have the draft, no All Star game and start the next season in Dec. You may have to condense this schedule ( 20-21 season) to fewer games?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I don't think you can cancel this season. It messes everything up, including the draft that usually takes place in June.
My thought would be to restart the season when it is safe, say Sept/Oct and complete the playoffs by November, take 2-3 weeks off, have the draft, no All Star game and start the next season in Dec. You may have to condense this schedule ( 20-21 season) to fewer games?
I agree that we need to complete this year and award a Stanley Cup no matter what. I just feel with every passing day of no improvement that Bettman's going to be a dink and just cancel it outright to start afresh in September/October.

Reactions: Strafer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad