Injury Report: Marchand, Pastrnak, McAvoy Undergo Surgery

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
I want to see them both get their shot. Seny before Cam because of development time, if he sucks, adios amigo and bring in Cam. Ideally they would have let Seny sink or swim more last season before his contract expired. Now they have qualified him, so he'll get a couple more years. Cam is still on his ELC, so if Seny flames out as you expect, bring Hughes up next and let him have a crack at it.
Fair enough we just view it differently. I think Cam Hughes is 10x Seny and therefore deserves an opportunity before irregardless of development time. That’s kinda my whole point some guys will and deservedly so spend their entire careers in the AHL without ever being given 1 shift in the NHL. I’m like a broken record but I don’t think anyone is entitled to time with the big club

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Fair enough we just view it differently. I think Cam Hughes is 10x Seny and therefore deserves an opportunity before irregardless of development time. That’s kinda my whole point some guys will and deservedly so spend their entire careers in the AHL without ever being given 1 shift in the NHL. I’m like a broken record but I don’t think anyone is entitled to time with the big club

Unless your name is Kevan Miller :naughty:

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Maybe time to sign some talent Don...

or perhaps the worst time to sign some talent...that is If the FO is convinced that there’s no chance to strongly contend.

In which case some would say blow it up.

But tough to pull off a true rebuild about now.

clowns to the left of us, jokers to the right, Here we are....

Reactions: Gordoff

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Pasta's injury intrigues me. The human body can be weird sometimes but it's highly unlikely he suffered a labral tear just from his little jump in that game against Carolina. Aggravated it, sure, but as per Cassidy, Pasta had that injury the entire playoffs, which makes complete sense as he never ever looked right. Labral injuries are a common enough hockey injury, and simple wear and tear may have weakened the joint in Pasta's case, but it wasn't actually torn before March, or there's no way he could have been playing the way he was. Which means he almost certainly tore it originally over in the Czech Republic during the break. I doubt we'll ever find out, but I'd be curious to know how that happened.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Am I making it up, or did Sweeney, Cassidy, or somebody else basically say they didn't expect any surgeries this offseason? I feel like I distinctly remember reading that somewhere.
It is clear they tried to go the conservative route which is actually pretty normal especially with hip and knee injuries. Once it is determined that you need surgery, you strengthen as much as you can before surgery.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Pasta's injury intrigues me. The human body can be weird sometimes but it's highly unlikely he suffered a labral tear just from his little jump in that game against Carolina. Aggravated it, sure, but as per Cassidy, Pasta had that injury the entire playoffs, which makes complete sense as he never ever looked right. Labral injuries are a common enough hockey injury, and simple wear and tear may have weakened the joint in Pasta's case, but it wasn't actually torn before March, or there's no way he could have been playing the way he was. Which means he almost certainly tore it originally over in the Czech Republic during the break. I doubt we'll ever find out, but I'd be curious to know how that happened.
Wondering if he tore it due to overtraining.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Well it looks like we will be seeing some of Frederic/Senyshyn/Studnicka/Hughes and maybe some Lauko. I’m intrigued to see what the Bruins have in these guys. Studnicka would’ve probably been a regular this upcoming season but for Frederic/Senyshyn this should be a real opportunity.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Wondering if he tore it due to overtraining.

It's possible. There were reports that he was skating quite a lot in Prague, hitting the gym, playing tennis etc. Most of it was probably unsupervised by a professional trainer or sports physician, and Pasta being Pasta, it's not unlikely that he got something a little wrong and caused himself an injury. Not casting aspersions - could have been plain bad luck, just a small mistake, or whatever else. It happens. Just curious.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
It's possible. There were reports that he was skating quite a lot in Prague, hitting the gym, playing tennis etc. Most of it was probably unsupervised by a professional trainer or sports physician, and Pasta being Pasta, it's not unlikely that he got something a little wrong and caused himself an injury. Not casting aspersions - could have been plain bad luck, just a small mistake, or whatever else. It happens. Just curious.
This is exactly what I'm thinking. A freak thing that he likely had no clue happened until it got aggravated enough to cause him to miss games.

Just gotta hope all is good now and we will see him flying around the ice in a few months

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Given how free agency is going so far, I'm almost ready to write off the 2021 season, so this doesn't really faze me all that much. But even if we were a competitive team, the injury timeline looks pretty good.

I think Bettman's underestimating the amount of time it will take to reboot the NHL. He said it won't be -EARLIER- than January 1, but I think it could be later. I don't know how they'll do the whole training camp/preseason games, but it wouldn't surprise me for the games that actually count to start at earliest in mid-January...say January 13. Marchand misses a month, and Pasta misses two. But as was said earlier, they do overestimate recovery time, to make players seem "superhuman" (and also to temper fan expectations.) So it could be 2 and 6 weeks, respectively. Even in a COVID-shortened season (they're not playing 82 games), that's not certain death.

I'm far more concerned that we seem to have a big fat bagel for free agency, but that's a complaint for another thread.

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario
Given how free agency is going so far, I'm almost ready to write off the 2021 season, so this doesn't really faze me all that much. But even if we were a competitive team, the injury timeline looks pretty good.

I think Bettman's underestimating the amount of time it will take to reboot the NHL. He said it won't be -EARLIER- than January 1, but I think it could be later. I don't know how they'll do the whole training camp/preseason games, but it wouldn't surprise me for the games that actually count to start at earliest in mid-January...say January 13. Marchand misses a month, and Pasta misses two. But as was said earlier, they do overestimate recovery time, to make players seem "superhuman" (and also to temper fan expectations.) So it could be 2 and 6 weeks, respectively. Even in a COVID-shortened season (they're not playing 82 games), that's not certain death.

I'm far more concerned that we seem to have a big fat bagel for free agency, but that's a complaint for another thread.
the timelines i thought for the recovery was retro to mid sept so marchy mid jan and pasta mid feb return

Reactions: talkinaway

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Whose the first overall pick next year? We may have a legit shot. Particularly with another move or two.

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site
from the lack of free agent signings, my bet is that don sweeney got this injury report the same time we all did, TODAY!!!!

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Krejci, Bergeron and Marchand are all past their peak years and will be a year older. The newly acquired Smith is on the wrong side of 30 too. What if Chara returns? No one wins against Father Time. You can't expect these guys to maintain their level of play as they get older.

Well to be honest Hedman, McDonagh , Stamkos
and Killorn will all be 30/31 before X Mas.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
WHY

WHY

WHY

Why won't Bergeron get surgery on his groin? Just completely asinine.

I believe he’s had 2 surgeries for this issue and it’s returned each time. I would guess there’s not much point until he stops playing/training which is what’s aggravating it. Probably just creating more scar tissue while not fixing the issue for any real length of time.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
This makes sense. Trying to save some coin for the owner because they’re going to be without Pastrnak for a while. They’re expecting to suck so they can get a top 10 pick and then take a 2nd rounder there because they’re geniuses.

how bad does not getting Hall look now?
I'mwitchew!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad