News Article: March To The Playoffs, Calgary Flames Game 2

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just throwing this out there, but wouldn't these fit better in the GDT where we are all already discussing the game? I get the desire to draw eye to your piece, but I think in this case it might be counterintuitive as the GDTs get a lot of eyeballs and people will be more willing to discuss what you see rather than in its own solo thread (since they're talking about the same stuff there)

1976len

Aug 16, 2017
Hey just responding to your other post. I just read your article, but before I give you my thoughts can you tell me a little bit about Win Column Sports? It’s important information to fully answer the question.

Site started in January 2017. Based out of Edmonton but with writers in Boston and Mexico. Plan was baseball, wrestling, hockey, NFL, basketball. The NFL and basketball left and the wrestling guy bought the site after year one.

I'm a baseball guy and the only local baseball is the Edmonton Prospects of the WMBL. I'm a Flames fan who lives in Edmonton but doesn't hate the Oilers.

That's it in a nutshell.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Site started in January 2017. Based out of Edmonton but with writers in Boston and Mexico. Plan was baseball, wrestling, hockey, NFL, basketball. The NFL and basketball left and the wrestling guy bought the site after year one.

I'm a baseball guy and the only local baseball is the Edmonton Prospects of the WMBL. I'm a Flames fan who lives in Edmonton but doesn't hate the Oilers.

That's it in a nutshell.

Gotcha! Well I liked this article quite a bit more than your previous one, mostly due to flow. You did a good job of commenting on the in-game highlights and summarizing it with your overall opinion to back it up. I think really all you need is more repetition, as you go you will become more polished at doing this.

I asked about the site background because I think it heavily influences the “tone” of your pieces (or at least it should). The writing style isn’t super formal but I also don’t think it’s 100% your goal to be that way. From reading it, I get that you’re trying to convey the highlights of each game while allowing your personality and personal opinions to come through.

The main media outlets mostly eliminate this. Sure each author has their own distinct writing style, but most of their personality and personal bias are left out of it. I don’t think it’s a positive or negative thing, personally I find it somewhat refreshing. But I would just ensure that this aspect is consistent with the other writers on your forum.

Good job! I give credit to anyone who does anything like this so I wish you well.

Reactions: 1976len

1976len

Aug 16, 2017
Just throwing this out there, but wouldn't these fit better in the GDT where we are all already discussing the game? I get the desire to draw eye to your piece, but I think in this case it might be counterintuitive as the GDTs get a lot of eyeballs and people will be more willing to discuss what you see rather than in its own solo thread (since they're talking about the same stuff there)

If it was published immediately after the game I would but because I publish the next I went separate thread. Dont know what the protocol is.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If it was published immediately after the game I would but because I publish the next I went separate thread. Dont know what the protocol is.
I don't think there is a protocol, I was just suggesting that because I think it's good in two ways. 1) keeps the conversation about the game in teh GDT and 2) since the GDT gets more eyes, you will likely get more people reading it.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad