Marc Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
I was wondering if anyone who watches Marc Staal regularly could tell what they think of him. Is he a potential #1 or #2 and whos style they would compare him to.

Thanks.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Sturdy #2, a la Adam Foote. He seems to have shown an offensive edge as well with "I will never attack" Sudbury.

Towelie*

He comes to mind when thinking of players inferior to Luc Bourdon, ;)

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Comfortably Numb said:
He comes to mind when thinking of players inferior to Luc Bourdon, ;)
I haven't heard/seen anyone besides Dave Nonis or Canuck fans suggest that Bourdon is better

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
With these Staal kids, you never know how much potential they have because they always seem to be getting better.

His offensive ability is tough to guage, in terms of translating it to the NHL.

I agree with the others in this thread. I see him as a very good number 2 defenseman. Someone like a Scott Hannan. Mobile, physical, solid defensively, slightly above average offensively.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
A good #2 sounds about right, but the thing I have to keep in mind with these Staals boys is that they tend to keep on developing on a pretty steep curve. This year, it looks like Staal has settled into a much more consistent player than he was last year, and now can really be relied on to anchor his team, whereas early last year there were games when he was still tentative, uncertain, or largely ineffective. You can probably peg him as a solid #2, but I think there is still a chance his development could always keep moving until he lands at a Redden-like #1. Not saying it's "probable", only that if it happened it wouldn't shock me unduly. Or maybe the two games I saw were just his best this year. Hard to say when you don't get a regular look.

Kitsune

Feb 20, 2003
Toronto ON CA
www.glidingeagle.com
Hes finally living up to hype here in Sudbury. When he has drafted, his was hyped as very awesome two-way player, and the first two seasons he was very steady on the defense but didnt show much offensivly, until now. Hes looked very very good, his offensive side is finally showing, having had career highs in goals, assists and points already this season. Its a real shame this is his last season in Sudbury, he'll surely make the big show next season...

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
SenSk9tSen said:
Lee > Staal, Bourdon

He was drafted before both of them, duhhhh. :teach: :help:

That's very sound reasoning, especially coming from a Sens fan. Anyone who has seen those 3 play would probably favour Staal and Bourdon at this point. Lee has alot of potential but he also is nowhere near as polished as those other two at this point. You'll have to wait a good number of years before you can make a fair comparison here.

Sticky*

Not that this means anything, but Staal scored a highlight reel goal last nite against the Oshawa Generals. He actually looked like Eric on the goal. THe way he skates and handles the puck.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Seeing him play on a regular basis, he looks to blossom into a solid #2 defensemen and might have the potential to be a #1 guy. He seldom gets beat one on one and his offensive potential is starting to show. In terms of a comparison, Mattias Ohlund comes to mind immediately for me, maybe Staal has a bit more offensive upside though. :dunno:

Sticky*

that is a good comparison, Staal really reminds me of Mattias Ohlund or Wade Redden. Incredibly stable and dependable, but still, skilled, and capable of providing offense when needed. Likes to take care of his own end first, and is so relaxed and composd out there that you dont really notcie him. Rarely makes a mistake though.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Sticky said:
that is a good comparison, Staal really reminds me of Mattias Ohlund or Wade Redden. Incredibly stable and dependable, but still, skilled, and capable of providing offense when needed. Likes to take care of his own end first, and is so relaxed and composd out there that you dont really notcie him. Rarely makes a mistake though.

I would say Redden is an excellent comparison and he could very well be as good as Redden some day as well. I say he will be a #1 guy or the best #2 in the league.

luv_canadian_hockey

Jul 1, 2005
Mississauga
SenSk9tSen said:
Lee > Staal, Bourdon

He was drafted before both of them, duhhhh. :teach: :help:

just because he was drafted before them doesnt necessarily mean that he is better...he just met the needs of a team that was choosing higher and needed him more than the other players...but he is still a good hockey player...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad