Marc Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Ive been reading up on him a bit and I really like what ive read. A very good defensive dman that could easily be #1 dman on the team. Where do you feel he was be picked around and who do you think he will turn into? (assuming he reaches his full potential)

I think he'll be picked somewhere between 8-13 and he might turn into the next Foote.

Buffalo Stylee

Apr 4, 2004
Buffalo/Niagara
King Henry I said:
I'm hoping that he falls a little bit because I'd expect the Isles to land between 10-20. Foote seems like a very good comparison but he could be even better.

I don't know about that. Foote's a very good defenseman. I'm not sold on Staal just yet. IMO he'll probably just end up being a 3rd defenseman.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Fake Plastic Sabre said:
I don't know about that. Foote's a very good defenseman. I'm not sold on Staal just yet. IMO he'll probably just end up being a 3rd defenseman.

Ending up as a 3rd defenseman would make him an excellent top 15 pick. :dunno:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Isnt Jordon suppose to be the best of all 3 also?? I think I heard that on Hockey Day in Canada last year (that 12-15 hour show that featured all 6 canadian teams facing each other durning that day)

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Jordan Staal's Stats

Reg. Season
66 GP 9 G 19 A 28 PTS +1 29 PIM

Playoffs
14 GP 5 G 5 A 10 PTS +7 16 PIM

turnbuckle*

I think Staal may be picked as highly as fifth overall depending on the draft order. A team like Carolina would look very seriously at him with the fifth pick IMO, and not because his brother's on the team, but because the Canes really need defensive prospects.

I really like Staal, as do my closest scouting friends, and would be shocked to see him slip out of the top ten. He'll be a highly dependable blueliner that will never give you Lidstrom-like numbers, but will more than take care of clearing the zone and the crease. I think Adam Foote is a good comparison - I see him as a Robyn Regehr type with perhaps a little less offence.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
GoLeafsGo2003 said:
Jordan Staal's Stats

Reg. Season
66 GP 9 G 19 A 28 PTS +1 29 PIM

Playoffs
14 GP 5 G 5 A 10 PTS +7 16 PIM

Hmm, those stats dont look all that good. Is there another younger brother by any chance?

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Hmm, those stats dont look all that good. Is there another younger brother by any chance?

I dont think so. Also, he's a rookie. His numbers look like he got rookie playing time for most of the reg. season. He stepped it up in the playoffs though.

FLYLine4LIFE said:

He's a good player, calling him the best of the brothers was just typical draft hype. It shouldn't detract from him as a player.

And there is a even younger brother, but he's not anywhere near the others in terms of NHL potential. I don't know if he'll even play in the OHL.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
yes there is a 4th brother...not sure but i think he's like 14

and if they raise the draft age and phase it in then jordan staal would become a 2007 draft, so he's projected as a potential top 10 for next year and might end up with 2 years before his draft.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
everything ive read about jordan said he is pretty much on the same path eric was at that age. he is considered more of a power forward than eric but they have nearly an identical skill level. dont look into the stats, as said before he was a rookie on the third line i believe. they said he was one of the pete's best players in the playoffs, we'll know if he's for real next season when he becomes a featured player.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Russian_fanatic said:
Man Staal is great kid! I can see him as a top pairing guy in the future. Rock solid!
Staal strikes me as the kind of d-prospect who is a bit stuck in the middle and doesn't get pigeon-holed as easily as some of the others. He shows signs in just about every direction... he knows something about D, but he's not a big hitter, he knows something about rushing the puck, but he's not a big point producer, etc. I don't know who that makes him a comparable too, maybe more of an Eric Brewer? :dunno: He teases just enough that if you really believed he'd pull all the bits and pieces together, he'd be a top-5 candidate. But he hasn't done it yet, and who's to say if he ever will. I wouldn't be the one to pick him in the top-10, probably, but I wouldn't criticize anybody else for doing so. I just like to find an area of pizzazz in the guy I draft, that's all. Staal hasn't established his... yet. He might. :dunno: I liked him alot more in the playoffs though than early in the season. He started to Take Command a bit more, and if he keeps that up, I would be totally in the wrong to overlook him.

turnbuckle*

Blind Gardien said:
Staal strikes me as the kind of d-prospect who is a bit stuck in the middle and doesn't get pigeon-holed as easily as some of the others. He shows signs in just about every direction... he knows something about D, but he's not a big hitter, he knows something about rushing the puck, but he's not a big point producer, etc. I don't know who that makes him a comparable too, maybe more of an Eric Brewer? :dunno: He teases just enough that if you really believed he'd pull all the bits and pieces together, he'd be a top-5 candidate. But he hasn't done it yet, and who's to say if he ever will. I wouldn't be the one to pick him in the top-10, probably, but I wouldn't criticize anybody else for doing so. I just like to find an area of pizzazz in the guy I draft, that's all. Staal hasn't established his... yet. He might. :dunno: I liked him alot more in the playoffs though than early in the season. He started to Take Command a bit more, and if he keeps that up, I would be totally in the wrong to overlook him.

Good points BG and I can't say I disagree - he is by no means a shoo-in as a 1st pairing defenceman. What the scouts have been saying to me is that they think he'll be a better pro than he was a junior, if that makes any sense to you. They just feel that he does have that untapped potential that will be better realized at the NHL level. Again - he's never gonna be an offensive powerhouse, but scouts expect him to gain confidence in the offensive zone as he adds muscle and experience. I'd say Brewer comparisons are valid - and IMO if he's gonna be a Brewer type player, then in this draft you pick him in the top seven without question.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
turnbuckle said:
Good points BG and I can't say I disagree - he is by no means a shoo-in as a 1st pairing defenceman. What the scouts have been saying to me is that they think he'll be a better pro than he was a junior, if that makes any sense to you. They just feel that he does have that untapped potential that will be better realized at the NHL level. Again - he's never gonna be an offensive powerhouse, but scouts expect him to gain confidence in the offensive zone as he adds muscle and experience. I'd say Brewer comparisons are valid - and IMO if he's gonna be a Brewer type player, then in this draft you pick him in the top seven without question.
If he's going to be Eric Brewer, I'm not sure I pick him in the top-7, and I acknowledge I'd be a bit stupid not to... but I'm notoriously dense on defense picks and like to swing for the fences whenever a character forward isn't involved. I dunno. I like Brewer. Would I draft him in the top-7 this year? Hrm. Well, I won't have to worry about it, anyway. :) I'll enjoy watching Staal develop in the OHL next year, that much is for sure, and I won't be the least bit surprised if he does start making some cautious observers (like me!) look bad. (PS - if you don't know my track record yet on drafting defensemen, then this should be like a flashing neon sign saying PICK STAAL!!!!! ;) ).

turnbuckle*

He he. I think there are six potentially solid first line players in this draft -

Sid
JJ
Ryan
Brule
Pouliot
Kopitar

After that - you're looking at second-line forwards and second or third defencemen. Staal has the tools to be a solid second defenceman (ala Brewer) in this league - I think he's almost a gimme to be picked right after the top six.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->