Marc Staal

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think getting out of the shadows in Pittsburgh was just as important as playing with Eric, if not more so. Guy just didn't want to be the best 3rd line C in the league for the rest of his career.

I'm hopeful that Marc sees the positives of playing in NY and will stay here.

Me too. But if he does decide to leave, I hope the Rangers don't lose him for nothing. Can't have these high prized young players leaving via UFA for nothing.

*Bob Richards*

I think getting out of the shadows in Pittsburgh was just as important as playing with Eric, if not more so. Guy just didn't want to be the best 3rd line C in the league for the rest of his career.

I still think he's the best D-man this team has, even with McD's excellent 2011-12 season.

I think Marc has found his niche rather nicely on this team. I never like the point that, "Well Jordan did it". Marc isn't Jordan. :laugh:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I still think he's the best D-man this team has, even with McD's excellent 2011-12 season.

I think Marc has found his niche rather nicely on this team. I never like the point that, "Well Jordan did it". Marc isn't Jordan. :laugh:

I agree. I thought that last year McDonagh was definitely the better player, but now that Staal is back to his old self (and perhaps even a notch or two above) he's really demonstrating how dominant he can be. I don't think he'll be running the PP anytime soon, but it's nice to see more offense out of him.

KreiMeARiver*

The ONLY way Marc leaves, is if we win a cup. He will not leave NY without a cup. You can 100% take that to the bank.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
So apparently, Francois Beachemin is better than Staal. Gotta love the main boards!

He's been playing great this year. And is now getting some well-deserved points. Also on a steal of a contract to boot!

He has to be better than Staal. After all, look at what they traded to get him. :naughty:

He's off to a good start and so are the Ducks as a whole. Doesn't mean there's any legitimacy to their claim though. Two years ago, Bobby Ryan for Staal was a fair deal for both sides. Then Staal got injured and suddenly he's "not even close". Ryan supposedly wants out and then Staal is a great return once a gain. Now Ryan is playing well and Staal is just insulting to even offer in a deal. Such is the way of a board full of internet GM's.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
He's great at joining the rush. If he could actually play the power play he'd be a 45+ point player.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
He's great at joining the rush. If he could actually play the power play he'd be a 45+ point player.

To be fair, he does generally look pretty solid when he's given time on the 2nd unit (and the 2nd unit consistently generates better scoring chances than the first, although it's possible that has more to do with matchups).

I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a look on the top unit. He shoots freely, usually gets it on net, and could probably be useful on the breakout, as well.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
I still find this "brothers lure" to Carolina to be so odd. I just don't see it happening. Marc stays a Ranger.

Do you have any brothers? I have one, and if we both played a professional sport, of course I would want to be on the same team as he is. If I had three brothers who were all on the same team, why wouldn't I want to go play there?

If they were still all spread out across the league, that'd be one thing, but Carolina has already moved to get three of them under one roof.

*Bob Richards*

Do you have any brothers? I have one, and if we both played a professional sport, of course I would want to be on the same team as he is. If I had three brothers who were all on the same team, why wouldn't I want to go play there?

If they were still all spread out across the league, that'd be one thing, but Carolina has already moved to get three of them under one roof.

I do not, but you aren't Marc Staal and neither am I. Maybe he wants to play with them, maybe not. For all we know he's sick of looking at Eric's forehead and wants to stay in Manhattan.

KreiMeARiver*

You are missing 2 key points:

1. Jordan was in a situation in Pitt where he was playing 3rd line behind 2 future HOF. He wanted more of a lead role.
2. He has a STANLEY CUP RING, as does Eric.

Marc will only leave NY/possibly join his brothers once he gets his own cup, here. His work here is not finished.

I'm not sure why this is so difficult to comprehend.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I agree. I thought that last year McDonagh was definitely the better player, but now that Staal is back to his old self (and perhaps even a notch or two above) he's really demonstrating how dominant he can be. I don't think he'll be running the PP anytime soon, but it's nice to see more offense out of him.

He looked very good running the point for the 2nd PP unit on Sunday night.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Marc has been the best all-around defenseman this season and probably the most consistent player night in and night out. Others may disagree but I think he's still the #1 defenseman on this team.

I think Slats is going to do everything in his power to retain Staal. If Staal wants to play with his brothers, he can do it later in his career a la Scott Niedermayer. Not sure why he'd rush to do it now when he's still young and has a good thing going in NY.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
for the record.

He IS damaged goods.

The concussion issue is real and with all that we know about them now, he remains susceptible to another, more severe concussion.

Granted, he may never receive another concussion in his life, but playing a physical game, playing a physical position the odds are that he will get hit hard enough to receive another concussion.

He's healthy today. But the unfortunate truth is that could change in one shift. Yes, that could be said for every player, but the odds are greater for those that have already suffered one, to suffer another.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

I have two brothers.

I could care less if I ever played on the same team as them. Regardless if they were all on the same team.

It's no indictment on how I feel about them. They are my brothers and I love them both, but I have no desire to go out of my way to play with them.

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
for the record.

He IS damaged goods.

The concussion issue is real and with all that we know about them now, he remains susceptible to another, more severe concussion.

Granted, he may never receive another concussion in his life, but playing a physical game, playing a physical position the odds are that he will get hit hard enough to receive another concussion.

He's healthy today. But the unfortunate truth is that could change in one shift. Yes, that could be said for every player, but the odds are greater for those that have already suffered one, to suffer another.

I don't really think that the odds ARE that he is going to get another concussion. MANY players around the league have concussions and come back and never have one again...

Concussions are different in the way they effect each individual. At any point there is a chance just ONE concussion can end a career..... just look at Michael Sauer unfortunately.

I don't really think its fair to put a "state of fear" on Staal that he could get a concussion with every hit he takes.... That only applied to Lindros haha

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I don't really think that the odds ARE that he is going to get another concussion. MANY players around the league have concussions and come back and never have one again...

Concussions are different in the way they effect each individual. At any point there is a chance just ONE concussion can end a career..... just look at Michael Sauer unfortunately.

I don't really think its fair to put a "state of fear" on Staal that he could get a concussion with every hit he takes.... That only applied to Lindros haha

while not set in stone, all medical documentation shows that those that have already suffered one are more susceptible to another, more severe, concussion.

As I stated, he could go the rest of his career without another one.

The game and position he plays in conjunction with all medical documentation that we have about head injuries tell me that he's at more risk than soneone that hasn't had a 1st one yet to get another one.

That to me is damaged goods.

I hope he never suffers another one, but I will not be surprised if/when it happens.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Marc has been the best all-around defenseman this season and probably the most consistent player night in and night out. Others may disagree but I think he's still the #1 defenseman on this team.

I think Slats is going to do everything in his power to retain Staal. If Staal wants to play with his brothers, he can do it later in his career a la Scott Niedermayer. Not sure why he'd rush to do it now when he's still young and has a good thing going in NY.

Maybe cause the head injury scared the **** out of him.

We all don't have as much time as we think;)

I think if Marc was playing somewhere else other than NYC he might want to be with his brothers. Senior Staals would only have to make one plane trip every so often;)

And I agree, he's been very steady, looked like one of the more conditioned guys on the team, which is definitely key this early. Lets see what happens when everyone has caught up to speed.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I think people 100% dismissing the possibility of Staal walking (Cup or not) in 2015 are taking way too much for granted.

Obviously there's the brother factor, especially since they are by all accounts pretty close. I know I'd want to play with my brothers. Theres also the city factor; just get the impression for watching Beginnings and the Bauer Hockey Cribs episode with the Staals that Marc may desire a switch in locale at some point. Or at the very least it could be a factor.

None of us are Marc Staal (or are we??) so who knows what will happen. I do think that making any sort of definitive statement at this point is ridiculous. Him leaving is a scenario te Rangers need to at the very least prepare for.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I think Staal is married. What if his wife doesn't want to move? If he's not married, forget this post, lol.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

No I think you are spot on. Staalsy is our best D-man.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I have two brothers.

I could care less if I ever played on the same team as them. Regardless if they were all on the same team.

It's no indictment on how I feel about them. They are my brothers and I love them both, but I have no desire to go out of my way to play with them.

Everyone is different I suppose. I have 1 brother and if we both played professionally I'd love to play on the same team.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Concerning either side of the argument as to whether or not Staal would move to Carolina: unless any of you are Marc himself, one of his brothers or close family members, or a very good friend, you have absolutely no idea what he may or may not want to do. HE may not even know yet. There's absolutely no point to even speculate.

He's not definitely leaving, nor is he definitely staying until he wins a cup. There's ZERO way for any of us to know if we're not one of the aforementioned parties. That simple.

Back to the topic: Staal is under-appreciated, both here and on the main boards. Injury and McDonagh's rise to awesomeness have done that. He keeps playing the way he is and that will change, he'll get noticed again.

Ryan McDonut

Jan 18, 2009
New York
he spent the first 6 years of his career on the rangers. how do we know that doesn't mean more to him than playing with his brothers? we don't. McD stole the spotlight from him after he got injured but staal will gain it back.

honestly do we even know how badly he wants to play with his brothers? it seems like every time we play carolina eric goes way too hard on marc. and he actually did injure him once. i dont like eric.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->