Marc Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruins4777*

So what was up with this guy's hype? He certainly doesn't look like anything special with his numbers? Is it just cause he was eric's brother? I heard there was a lot of hype last year, but it faded cause of a poor season this year, but i looked at his numbers from last year and they were quite poor.

Anyways, what was so great about this guy?

PK*

I've only seen him play once and from what I've seen, he looks fairly defensively sound. He didn't do anything special, but he didn't do the mistakes you'd expect from a young player. IMO, last year's hype was mainly because of his name, but he looks like a solid prospect. I think he's also a good leader.

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
I didn't think there was that much hype around Marc last year. Jordan Staal gets more hype than Marc and even in that case its not that bad.

Marc was talked about being a 1st rounder but I don't think most knowledgable posters had him in their top 10. And I don't think his stats are that bad for a d-man.

From the little I've seen and from what I've read, Marc is solid at both ends of the ice and has good size for a d-man. He looks like he will be a good 2nd pairing d-man and I think he will go in the 2nd half of the 1st round around the 20-30 spot.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
staal appears to be the type of guy who does his job with little fanfare, day in and day out. good size, good skills, good character- i think similarly to mark stuart in 2003 (and maybe kesler as well), staal will be the guy they list as the "safe pick". you can grab a guy with a bigger ceiling, but staal gives you a more certain outcome IMO.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
As a person who sees Staal play on a regular basis, I'd have to agree with most of the posts so far. He is decent offensively, and great defensively in his own zone. I'd like him to bulk up a bit more and play more physically if he wanted to get himself into the first half of the first round. He's not flashy but gets the job done and logs a ton of minutes on the Sudbury blueline. As for a comparison, no one really comes to mind immediately, but if he turned out as a good NHLer, Mattias Ohlund and maybe Eric Brewer come to mind.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I remember hearing Eric Staal say that the youngest of his brothers was incredible. Is this Mark? Or is Jordan the youngest?

bruins4777*

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=76907

it says left wing....
His brotehr jordan's numbers aren't that great either...
If they're defensemen it would make the most sense. But i went into them seeing as they were forwards.
I've heard a bunch of people call him a defensemen but hockey db says left wing and right wing i think for jordan :dunno:

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
bruins4777 said:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=76907

it says left wing....
His brotehr jordan's numbers aren't that great either...
If they're defensemen it would make the most sense. But i went into them seeing as they were forwards.
I've heard a bunch of people call him a defensemen but hockey db says left wing and right wing i think for jordan :dunno:

Marc Staal is definitely a defenceman.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Marc isn't that great from what I've seen, but he has the tools and the pedigree to be a good player... He'll be a 1-2nd round pick and if he models his game he could turn out to be a 3-4 NHL dman IMO

Jordan Staal is VERY young for a 16year old in this league he's one of the youngest players in the league and Peterborough isn't rushing his development they've eased him in and he's got 18 points which is solid. When Ive seen him play he's showed excellent skills and the potential to be like his brother Eric. Just a bigger version

bruins4777*

ktownhockey said:
Marc isn't that great from what I've seen, but he has the tools and the pedigree to be a good player... He'll be a 1-2nd round pick and if he models his game he could turn out to be a 3-4 NHL dman IMO

Jordan Staal is VERY young for a 16year old in this league he's one of the youngest players in the league and Peterborough isn't rushing his development they've eased him in and he's got 18 points which is solid. When Ive seen him play he's showed excellent skills and the potential to be like his brother Eric. Just a bigger version
That sounds damn good. Isn't eric already something like 6'2 or 6'3 already? He's as skinny as a toothpick though

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Marc Staal is actually my top pick for the Devils this year. We have enough depth up front. We need a good two way defensmen.

Staal, Hale, Martin, White and DeMarchi in the future would be impressive to say the least.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
I like Marc Staal, he is a solid defecemen and he'll go in the 1st round, the team that selects him will have a very good prospect. He has a very good future, and I see him as a top 4 guy with a great defensive game.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
So can someone clarify this: Jordan, Jared and Eric are forwards, while Marc is a defenseman??

And so far, Eric is the best prospect, and Jared hasn't played in the O yet?

:dunno:

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Petes1 said:
The youngest is Jared http://www.thunderbaykings.com/bantam/stats.html

Jordan is a center and plays on the 3rd line, he's been very impressive. Stats don't mean much as a 16 year old, because in a lot of cases they're 3rd/4th line players or just not getting a lot of ice time.

i saw Jordan play a month or so ago against Plymouth. He looked very good for a 16 year old. he's huge.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Big fan of Marc... think of a guy like Woywitka... does alot of things well, but doesn't have that one aspect that blows you away. Probably end up as a decent top 4 guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad