Marc Staal vs. Ryan Parent

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
Personally I'd rather have a guy like Parent on my team than Marc Staal, although they are similar and near equals, I feel Parent has better potential physically, is more agile around his goal, has better mobility skating the puck out of his end, and also makes a better first pass than Staal.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
Personally I'd rather have a guy like Parent on my team than Marc Staal, although they are similar and near equals, I feel Parent has better potential physically, is more agile around his goal, has better mobility skating the puck out of his end, and also makes a better first pass than Staal.

I'm never in favor of basing an argument soley on stats, but in this case I think it's difficult to argue that parent has superior passing skills when they're assist numbers over the last two years read: 63 to 23 in favor of Staal. Stats don't tell the whole story, but in this case the differance is overwhelmingly in Staal's favor.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The first pass and the set-up pass on the powerplay are two very different things. Parent is better on the pk, Staal on the pp.

Otherwise they´re equal. If you already have two players that can score on the pp on your defense you want Parent. If you want to shore up the pp, you want Staal.

For me, there seem to be a lot of defensemen in the NHL with amazing pp shots but are otherwise a liability. There are a lot fewer guys who will go out there and pay the price to shutdown the top pairing.

But at the end of the day Staal could develop into either one of those, Parent into only one of the above.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Parent is and will be easily better. I like every facet of his game better than Staal in terms of translating to the NHL, even offense.

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
I'm never in favor of basing an argument soley on stats, but in this case I think it's difficult to argue that parent has superior passing skills when they're assist numbers over the last two years read: 63 to 23 in favor of Staal. Stats don't tell the whole story, but in this case the differance is overwhelmingly in Staal's favor.

1st passes often dont result in points, however they do lead the transition game through the neutral zone. Parent I find is better at this than Staal, and is better at doing it while skating the puck out himself as well.

I find Staal is a better offensive passer, however that being said I don't think his ability in this area will translate into an NHL pp qb, either will Parents.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
As someone who lives in Al Morganti's home town, he is a complete moron.

yea he just likes to say things. he said Hatcher would be mved too and started all of this stuff about that.

i agree with a previous poster that we got the one that we could get out of the two shut down guys so im happy. But just looking at the way that this guy skates and moves im very surprised given his size. as far as who is better. i think that is a relative question, the rangers need a o dman the flyers have a a few and with an already great PK it is good news to having him come in.

David McConnor

Unregistered User
Aug 30, 2006
Alert, Nunavut
I'd take Staal but would kill to have either one on my team.

People do underrate Parent. He's a brilliant skater with great size who simply never makes mistakes in the defensive zone. As far as defense goes you cannot ask for much more than what he brings.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
the logic in this thread is amazing. So because Parent is great at defense then Staal is not? Has anyone ever watched Staal? We're talking about the premier shut down dman of his age group.

Both will be very good defensive dmen. The differance is that Staal has offensive upside in addition to his defence and Parent probably doesn't.

AgentNaslund*

Staal for a long time was considered the better player, hf have him ranked higher, people on this board knew it, now all of a sudden parent vs Staal, its the same deal, Staal for me.

Sep 23, 2005
Hamilton
I didn't say he was anything special on offense, I just think he'll end up being better, even offensively, in the NHL than Marc Staal.

I'd say for now they will both be very effective in the NHL. Both are shutdown defensemen, they won't be looked at to score very often.

But I'm going to give the edge to Marc Staal based on the times I've seen him play, he just seems a little more sure of himself, IMO... AND hes a Staal :bow:

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
As a Flyers fan if given the choice i would take Staal. As a previous poster said Staal is no pushover in his own end, he isn't quite as solid defensively as Parent and he will make more mistakes (still very few). Both of them are top pairing dmen, however the difference between Staals offensive ability in regards to Parent is far greater than the difference in their defensive "shut down" abilities.

That being said i am still Psyched about having Parent because i feel Pitkanen and Picard will be our offensive Dmen.

Kaktus*

I like both... I can not say right now who is better. Flyers needed a shut down d-man and we got one. His health issues? Anyone who had a bad back and played like he did in WJC deserves a lot of credit.

Flyers GM is aware of those "health issues" and publicly said it was not a problem. Who am I going to believe, some clown reporter or a GM. Easy choice.

If I was trading Forsberg to NYR I would want Staal back because Flyers need this kind of player. We got Parent and I am happy. If Parent doesn't score a single point but plays solid D I am still happy because like I said that is exactly what Flyers need.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
You guys did very well in that deal. Parent will be a solid player. We have Staal and if Ranger brass are to be believed we will keep him.

I'm very happy with that.

I'm hoping that Staal, a more developed Tyjtin, and guys like Sauer and Giradi will keep my heart where it belongs instead of in my throat.

Isles_Guy*

since they are both Division rivals prospects, I don't like either Staal or Parent.....:D but in terms of pure talent I'd have to go with Marc. Defensively both are very solid positionally and while Ryan may appear to be a bit more of a shutdown defender, than Marc appears to be that is merely because no real offensive contribution, is expected of Ryan so his focus tends to be on the defensive side. In the NHL, where more is expected of all players offensively, Marc should be better able to adapt to that expectation without suffering defensively. Flyer fans should see this already as Pitkanen' play has suffered this year due to increased expectations on him due to him being considered a veteran now.

The fact that the Rangers have been very cautious with Marc and not wanted to thrust him into the savior role on their defense, speaks volumes as to just how highly they regard him and despite Nashville's deep defense, the fact that Ryan was traded for a rental (even one as good as Forsberg), tells me that clearly Marc Staal is the better regarded player.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
The fact that the Rangers have been very cautious with Marc and not wanted to thrust him into the savior role on their defense, speaks volumes as to just how highly they regard him and despite Nashville's deep defense, the fact that Ryan was traded for a rental (even one as good as Forsberg), tells me that clearly Marc Staal is the better regarded player.
I agree that both players are very good, and I'd be happy with either player - I'm pleased the Flyers were able to get one of them.

Not sure about your logic regarding Parent traded making Staal a higher regarded player. If the Rangers had a surplus of amazing young defenseman both on the team and in the system, Staal may have been available for a Forsberg-type player as well. The fact that the Rangers wouldn't entertain offers for Staal says more about the organization's depth at D than the quality of the player, in my opinion.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I agree that both players are very good, and I'd be happy with either player - I'm pleased the Flyers were able to get one of them.

Not sure about your logic regarding Parent traded making Staal a higher regarded player. If the Rangers had a surplus of amazing young defenseman both on the team and in the system, Staal may have been available for a Forsberg-type player as well. The fact that the Rangers wouldn't entertain offers for Staal says more about the organization's depth at D than the quality of the player, in my opinion.

We have depth on "D", maybe not all bluechips but our
younger D-men have more upside than the forward prospects.

We held onto Staal because he is good and will go against Crosby
as long as the Sid & Malk show is in our division.

Isles_Guy*

Charlie girl it's more of a subjective evalution, than anything else, My gut tells me that giving up a 1st, a 3rd, Scottie Upshall and Parent, for a rental That more than anything tells me that Nashville didn't see him as that good.

Its common knowledge that Nashville doesn't expect to resign Forsberg after the season. Would you trade a player that you thought was a shutdown first pairing defender with a 1st and 3rd plus, for a rental....? thats where my logic comes from. to me the trade itself tells me that to some extent Nashville didn't see him as being all that.

I admit that its after the fact thinking, but GM's (except for Mad Mike Milbury, of course) tend to be very skittish about trading away players they believe are going to come back to bite them in the butt.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Charlie girl it's more of a subjective evalution, than anything else, My gut tells me that giving up a 1st, a 3rd, Scottie Upshall and Parent, for a rental That more than anything tells me that Nashville didn't see him as that good.

Its common knowledge that Nashville doesn't expect to resign Forsberg after the season. Would you trade a player that you thought was a shutdown first pairing defender with a 1st and 3rd plus, for a rental....? thats where my logic comes from. to me the trade itself tells me that to some extent Nashville didn't see him as being all that.

I admit that its after the fact thinking, but GM's (except for Mad Mike Milbury, of course) tend to be very skittish about trading away players they believe are going to come back to bite them in the butt.

If you were dealing from a hopelessly deep pool of defensive prospects, and that rental could very well be the piece that sent you reeling into the finals?

Hell yes you would.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
If you were dealing from a hopelessly deep pool of defensive prospects, and that rental could very well be the piece that sent you reeling into the finals?

Hell yes you would.

Remember NMK ... this IS Hockey's FUTURE ... where prospects are always more valuable then roster players, even if they do or don't have a bulging disk in their back

Isles_Guy*

nomorekids, to be honest with you, it would depend on the player, and for me Peter Forsberg who is always an injury waiting to happen, isn't that guy... Joe Sakic, a proven big game player like Chris Drury yes. but not Forsberg.... I respect your belief that he is worth it, but for me the Injury history makes it too great a risk, and the few times that I've had dealings with David Poile in the past, he really doesn't strike me as a foolish risk taker, in fact when I knew him (back in washington dc) he was one of the shrewdest executives in the NHL.

Like I said its a subjective opinion and I respect that you disagree, and things may be such in Nashville that he feels he needs to do this at this time, but it would be out of character with the man I knew. (though I admit player transactions and Tax administration for the league are 2 different kettles of fish) I will say this however aside from David Conte in New Jersey, David Poile was always the quickest study in the room. The man had a head for finance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad