Marc Staal vs Jack Johnson

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
There is one guy the Hurricanes have refused to let go through the years, and that guy is Kevin McCarthy. JJ missed a huge opportunity to learn from one of the best.

I agree on Kevin McCarthy being one of the more underrated assistant coaches in the league. He doesn't have a great demeanor for dealing with the media and whatnot which is why he hasn't been presented with a lot of head coaching opportunities, but we're better for having him on board. He has turned a lot of spare parts into successful defensemen.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Its one thing to say who you rather would have at this point, but a diffrent story be so convinced which of them will be better down the line.

Staal aren't a rushing D, he aren't a nr 1 PP quater back. Though he makes a really good first pass, and got tremendous poise playing hockey.

I saw his first preseason game in the NHL two years ago, and while he were in deep over his head in terms of strength ect, he passed and moved the puck extremely well. Actually created allot of offense, along with making some great defensive plays.

I defenitly belives Staal can become a very good nr 1 in this league. He got great raw tools offensivly, and is just so smart and poised overall. He is also 6'4.

Jack Johnson on the other hand is almost a finnished product. He'll just need to adopt to the NHL and he will be ready to go. He got a tremendous skill package.

But in the end, as we all know, playing D is so extremely much more then just pure raw skills. The most important aspect is to be able to play at a high level shift after shift, game after game, season after season. The one who can do that best in the NHL of the two will have the most success.

espo*

Its one thing to say who you rather would have at this point, but a diffrent story be so convinced which of them will be better down the line.

Staal aren't a rushing D, he aren't a nr 1 PP quater back. Though he makes a really good first pass, and got tremendous poise playing hockey.

I saw his first preseason game in the NHL two years ago, and while he were in deep over his head in terms of strength ect, he passed and moved the puck extremely well. Actually created allot of offense, along with making some great defensive plays.

I defenitly belives Staal can become a very good nr 1 in this league. He got great raw tools offensivly, and is just so smart and poised overall. He is also 6'4.

Jack Johnson on the other hand is almost a finnished product. He'll just need to adopt to the NHL and he will be ready to go. He got a tremendous skill package.

But in the end, as we all know, playing D is so extremely much more then just pure raw skills. The most important aspect is to be able to play at a high level shift after shift, game after game, season after season. The one who can do that best in the NHL of the two will have the most success.

well said. That's about it in a nutshell.

kingsfann805

Dec 25, 2006
Oxnard
I agree. JJ should have done his homework and realized that he would be going to one of the smartest defensive coaches in all of hockey.

There is one guy the Hurricanes have refused to let go through the years, and that guy is Kevin McCarthy. JJ missed a huge opportunity to learn from one of the best.

Learning from a former Norris Trophy winner in Rob Blake, might make up for it. ;)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Learning from a former Norris Trophy winner in Rob Blake, might make up for it. ;)

Rob Blake can't make him a smarter player on the ice, IMO. Personally, I thought that it was just him being a tad raw a few years ago. Now that it hasn't gotten better, and if you ask me has actually gotten a bit worse, I am a tad worried about his overall ability to play without those dumb mistakes at a much higher level.

I think he just needs to sit down with a coach and work on his mental game. I don't think that just playing with someone will make him worlds better.

kingsfann805

Dec 25, 2006
Oxnard
Rob Blake can't make him a smarter player on the ice, IMO. .

Alright, then we'll just have to agree to disagree on this issue, because I see it as a teacher / student type situation (same as Blake had with Larry Robinson when he came into the league). So basically JJ will not get any smarter "on the ice," and at the age of 20 has reached his learning peak?

Personally, I thought that it was just him being a tad raw a few years ago. Now that it hasn't gotten better, and if you ask me has actually gotten a bit worse, I am a tad worried about his overall ability to play without those dumb mistakes at a much higher level. .

I really haven't seen him too much, but he seemed to be more solid, then more liable in his own end (in the game I've seen) IMO.

I think he just needs to sit down with a coach and work on his mental game. I don't think that just playing with someone will make him worlds better.

I can't really comment on his mental game, as I've never heard there was an issue with it? Again, we'll just disagree, as I see Blake being a mentor to JJ.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It's not that JJ is liable in his own end. He occasionally makes the bonehead play here and there.

It's his PINCHING. The decision making process he has for it can be downright brutal. Sometimes you watch him do something and he'll do the same stupid ass play 3 times in a row. And you wonder what it will take for him to learn to think before he acts.

kingsfann805

Dec 25, 2006
Oxnard
It's not that JJ is liable in his own end. He occasionally makes the bonehead play here and there.

It's his PINCHING. The decision making process he has for it can be downright brutal. Sometimes you watch him do something and he'll do the same stupid ass play 3 times in a row. And you wonder what it will take for him to learn to think before he acts.

I see, if that's the case I agree with you, I'm hoping that having a future HOF will have some influence on him (and his decision making). I'm also hoping that the "occasionally" becomes "rarely."

Also, I'd rather have him being too aggressive at this stage, then him being non-aggressive. It's hard to teach someone to have a nasty edge.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I see, if that's the case I agree with you, I'm hoping that having a future HOF will have some influence on him (and his decision making). I'm also hoping that the "occasionally" becomes "rarely."

Also, I'd rather have him being too aggressive at this stage, then him being non-aggressive. It's hard to teach someone to have a nasty edge.

Your last point is something that I agree completely with. While he does some of the most idiotic **** out there, I'd rather him do that than not do any of it right now. It's easier to tone down a guy.

He needs a lot of work to reach his potential and I sincerely hope he signs this off season.

kingsfann805

Dec 25, 2006
Oxnard
Your last point is something that I agree completely with. While he does some of the most idiotic **** out there, I'd rather him do that than not do any of it right now. It's easier to tone down a guy.

He needs a lot of work to reach his potential and I sincerely hope he signs this off season.

I'm hoping he signs as soon as Michigan's season is over. :D

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site

Have you seen Rob Blake play? You just described his entire career. The thing we do know is that JJ produces like no other prospect Dman doing what he does. That may make him irresponsible at times but you have to be aggressive to be a great scorer. I'll take the bad with the good :yo:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Have you seen Rob Blake play? You just described his entire career. The thing we do know is that JJ produces like no other prospect Dman doing what he does. That may make him irresponsible at times but you have to be aggressive to be a great scorer. I'll take the bad with the good :yo:

I'm sorry, but Rob Blake is a HELL of a lot smarter than JJ is on the ice.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I'm sorry, but Rob Blake is a HELL of a lot smarter than JJ is on the ice.

I honestly don't think so. JJ when playing in a shut down role, is actually much better at reading the play and taking the open man. Blake, after 18 years in the league still loses his man AT LEAST three times a game(not to mention he still can't clear the zone effectively).
I realize that Johnson has some work to do in this area as well, but at this age, he's way better at marking his man than Blake was at that age(and quite possibly is now)

JJ says he trys to pattern his game after Konstantinov, but I swear right now he plays just like Blake(one of his idols). The thought of having Blake mentoring JJ is just terrifying as a long time Kings fan; not to mention Crawford who favors activating defensemen on the attack-(and I who think contributed to Jovo's lack of defensive awareness).

Johnson has natural talent, but right now it really needs to be nurtured by a professional(peer) at the NHL level. This is in no way a shot at Berenson, who is a terrific coach, and I have no doubt that JJ has learned a ton from. However, at this point and time, I think he would be best served learning in an environment where he isn't expected(he puts a lot of those expectations on himself) to be the man. A place where perhaps he can even be humbled a bit, and learn the subtle things of how to make it in the bigs.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
You really shouldn't compare 18 year all-star vets to guys who have not even played.
I think it is valid to question the mental part of his game now as it should be improving especially considering his competition.
It doesn't mean he still isn't a great prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad