Marc Staal ready?

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
my expectation is a game or 2 in ny to get a bit of experience and then to hartford to play in the AHL playoffs.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Staal thinks he stays up for the playoffs

"They said I might get a couple games in before playoffs start and then I'll just kind of be hanging around for the playoffs and just watching and being around the team."

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
-31- said:
Staal thinks he stays up for the playoffs

"They said I might get a couple games in before playoffs start and then I'll just kind of be hanging around for the playoffs and just watching and being around the team."

i think playing in the AHL playoffs would be more valuable than watching the nhl playoffs

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
TheFinalWord said:
Correct. Although it's probably the best place for his development, he can't play in Hartford next year. I would guess he ends up back in Sudbury at some point, but you never know.

Actually, Staal could play in Hartford this year now that his junior team is done for the season. Islanders prospect Ryan O'Marra signed and is playing with Bridgeport of the AHL because his team, the Erie Otters, is done for the season. O'Marra, like Staal just finished his 18-year-old season in junior hockey. The Rangers do have the option to send Staal to Hartford if they want.

Next season, however, will be Staal's 19-year-old season, so New York will have to choose between having him in the NHL or the OHL. The only way he could play in the AHL would be on a 10-game conditioning assignment after being sent down from the NHL. At that point, the Rangers would have to make a decision to keep him in the NHL, or send him back to his junior team.

nyr5186

May 12, 2002
New Orleans
Visit site
NYR469 said:
i think playing in the AHL playoffs would be more valuable than watching the nhl playoffs

Agreed.

However, you have to figure that if he sticks around with the Rangers, that means management probably expects him to make the big club next season. So they're just getting him acclamated to the coaching staff, his future teammates and the Rangers' system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->