Injury Report: Marc Staal on IR

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think its appropriate to make "retire" jokes and discuss it in terms of hoping it happens. Its true that Staal pretty much sucks, and his contract is a big problem for this team, he's gotten worse and worse the last few seasons, but if he's retiring, it likely means he can't physically play anymore, and I don't wish that on him.

What I do hope happens is that he gets back to health, and he can be thrown in some trade somewhere during the rebuild or we keep him as a 6/7D, and minimize his role during the rebuild.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Probably done for the year. That doesn't mean his career is over. If he decides to retire I would think that decision would come over the summer. I suspect he'll be back though.

Reactions: leetch99

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Very concerned it’s a concussion. He has probably been the best dman for us this year at least the only one that has been better this year than last.

I think a healthy staal is still a solid defender and great pker. Scary for him. Great Ranger.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
lol

Nobody made room for Gilmour. He's here because Staal can't go. Love the twist of logic.

The made room comment is in regards to the 23 man roster limit. We were at 24 with Gilmour recalled. Now we are at 23 with Staal on IR.

Gravey22

Nov 19, 2017
Yeah go easy Stallsy! Always had a soft spot for Stall and thought he always left it on the ice. I for sure that hit was the knock out concussion although he popped-up fairly quickly. Was surprised it was just that cervical deal but thought maybe his head somehow avoided that bulk of force. Now I wonder if he kind of kept it on the low for fear of the end. His is a warrior type for sure so fear of the end could cause crazy decision. Hope he heals well !!! To heck with hockey at this point.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Must we have this conversation again...as with Girardi...and as with Nash?

Marc Staal has been a really fine player for us for a long time. One of the best #1 draft picks we have ever made and one who fulfilled his promise. In his prime and before injuries and before the ideal of what makes an NHL defenseman changed, he was a legit #1 D. He has been a warrior, a leader, an example to others, and overall, an asset to the Rangers and the NHL.

We all know that he is a shell of what he was although he has been better this year than last. He has suffered major injuries that likely will have an impact on him for the rest of his life.

When the time comes for him to hang up his skates, and that time may very well be now, the decision should be up to him and his doctors. He should not retire to meet the whims of some fans who, again, cannot see the humanity of the players who wear the blue.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
he seriously should consider his health the guys just been beat up for a long time now

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
IF Staalsy is too injured to keep playing he doesn’t necessarily need to retire and forego the rest of his salary. I’m sure he can be LTIRed like Pronger, Lupul, Hossa, etc. I have no problem with Staal being our #6 next year while we transition. Great veteran guy who has bled blue. But if his health isn’t there he doesn’t need to skip out on his money necessarily. He has paid the price in terms of injuries that he deserves his remaining contract IMO (not saying his current play is worth his cap hit, just that Staal more than paid his dues). I also wouldn’t mind bringing him into the organization as like a D coach or something if he can’t go physically next year.

Reactions: kovazub94

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
He should sit out the rest of the season and then reevaluate this off-season. Literally no reason to play him again this year.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
That really depends on what the doctors say. We really are not privy to the medical assessment of his injury. It may be best for him to sit out and reevaluate later. Or the doctors might say that he is good to return. We just don't know. From the fans' point of view, whether you are pro or anti-Staal, it certainly looks like he should not return. But players always want to return, always want to play. In the end, this is going to be a medical decision. He will not be cleared to play until the doctors say he can. If they say he can't, it doesn't matter what he wants. So, all we can do is speculate.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Hope he is well, enough of us would crawl onto the ice with one finger for 4.7 mil but if he retires injured, isn’t that income insured. So he gets his money, makes a decision based on health and yes NYR get their cap space back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->