Injury Report: Marc Staal on IR

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
lol

Nobody made room for Gilmour. He's here because Staal can't go. Love the twist of logic.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
He should probably retire. Too many major injuries at this point.

After recovering from multiple concussions, lower body injuries, shoulder injuries, major permanent eye damage, this common cervical strain ice pack injury is the one that Marc is going to say enough is enough on.

Reactions: nyrpassion

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Hopefully he's okay. I know we'd all like him off the team, but like, in one healthy piece. Sad to see such a promising career derailed by a bunch of garbage injuries.

Staal's been in the league for 11 years, 8 of those he played well.. Had 2 stinker years, but rebounded this year and played respectable hockey again for the most part. If he hung them up today, i'd say he had a very good career

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
What's the report on him? I saw "neck injury" or something but is that it?

"cervical strain" was the original word but that was more or less a preliminary diagnosis.

Wouldn't be surprised if they found something more serious and/or he started experiencing concussion symptoms later.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
After recovering from multiple concussions, lower body injuries, shoulder injuries, major permanent eye damage, this common cervical strain ice pack injury is the one that Marc is going to say enough is enough on.
I don't buy that diagnosis at all. Did you see that hit? He got destroyed.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I don't buy that diagnosis at all. Did you see that hit? He got destroyed.

That's true. I saw the hit. They took their due diligence before diagnosing him and releasing more or less of a injury status so it's certainly not a day to day injury. Is Staal skating? I saw a bunch of guys were skating, Vesey, Kreider, but can't remember if Staal was among them.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Staal's been in the league for 11 years, 8 of those he played well.. Had 2 stinker years, but rebounded this year and played respectable hockey again for the most part. If he hung them up today, i'd say he had a very good career
Yeah, he has definitely had a really nice career any way you slice it. Still can't help but feeling like Staal would have been a perennial AS-candidate and true defensive stalwart had the injuries (particularly the eye thing) not caught up with him. He could have had a stellar 1100+ game career I feel like. I don't think he makes it there now, and certainly not playing that same legit shutdown defense that he used to.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Terminator meme would be more appropriate for Staal instead of Girardi (when he got the puck behind his visor).

Staal got himself in a good enough shape (hello Smith’s summer) to be serviceable, regardless of salary. But getting another concussion (what else would have prompted IR?) he should seriously consider if retirement is the best way to proceed. There’s got to be an insurance in place to protect himself financially.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Terminator meme would be more appropriate for Staal instead of Girardi (when he got the puck behind his visor).

Staal got himself in a good enough shape (hello Smith’s summer) to be serviceable, regardless of salary. But getting another concussion (what else would have prompted IR?) he should seriously consider if retirement is the best way to proceed. There’s got to be an insurance in place to protect himself financially.

Neck injuries aren't something to f*** with.

Reactions: egelband

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah, he has definitely had a really nice career any way you slice it. Still can't help but feeling like Staal would have been a perennial AS-candidate and true defensive stalwart had the injuries (particularly the eye thing) not caught up with him. He could have had a stellar 1100+ game career I feel like. I don't think he makes it there now, and certainly not playing that same legit shutdown defense that he used to.

The eye thing killed his offense, for sure.

Its crazy to think of now but during the Torts era Staal-Girardi was a feared shutdown pairing. I'm sure the system we played helped that kind of defenseman more, but it was objectively a very good tandem.

Staal also had something of a bounceback year which was nice. He certainly outplayed Holden and Smith.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Sorry to see him down, he has been MUCH better this season. He has been a real solid top-4 defenseman on this team for a very long time. Hopefully he takes his time coming back, no need to rush it.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Sorry to see him down, he has been MUCH better this season. He has been a real solid top-4 defenseman on this team for a very long time. Hopefully he takes his time coming back, no need to rush it.

He needs to retire. He was a very good player for us, and for a long time. He needs to take care of himself though.

I feel for Staal. These guys are more competitive than we imagine. It’s time he hangs eh up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad