Marc Staal done all he can do in juniors

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
honestly, i think he will be with the rangers next year. but i do hope i am wrong and he gets at least 20-30 games in the ahl, before he never looks back

A Shea Weber style rookie year might be the perfect scenario for Staal. Weber started in the AHL and played the first 2-3 months of the season with Milwaukee before being called up to the big club. That would give the organization time to watch his development in a pro league and would give them time to feel out a trade if they felt he was ready to be called up.

Last edited:

dank

Jan 11, 2006
NYC
A Shea Weber style rookie year might be the perfect scenario for Staal. Weber started in the AHL and played the 2-3 months of the season with Milwaukee before being called up to the big club. That would give the organization time to watch his development in a pro league and would give them time to feel out a trade if they felt he was ready to be called up.

that does sound like a very good move for Marc. even though all of us would love for him to wreak havoc on the NHL ice, it'd be a much more prudent move to at least let him get his sea legs down in the AHL and like you said, force a trade or some movement to make space..

Malik anyone? ;)

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
If Phaneuf and Vlasic are capable of stepping in right away, I could see Staal stepping in right away on a team with a weaker group of defenseman than the aforementioned two were up against.

dank

Jan 11, 2006
NYC
If Phaneuf and Vlasic are capable of stepping in right away, I could see Staal stepping in right away on a team with a weaker group of defenseman than the aforementioned two were up against.

thats actually a good point.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal

I really, really don't see why M. Staal can't step in right away for the Rangers as a #5-6 (safe, stay-at home) D-Man (this upcoming season).

Who would be above M. Staal right now on the Rangers' team? (among #5-6 D-Men...).

Nich

Dec 8, 2004
Wantagh
well it looks like girardi and tuts pair up

rosi and malik

pock - staal.....and pock was the 7th...guessing rachunek is gone and lifton, lapman or baranka get the 7th spot.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal

rosi and malik

pock - staal.....and pock was the 7th...guessing rachunek is gone and lifton, lapman or baranka get the 7th spot.

Your avatar says : "HRV women = the best"

What is HRV?! (curious!).

dank

Jan 11, 2006
NYC
Your avatar says : "HRV women = the best"

What is HRV?! (curious!).

i may be wrong, but i think its Croatia..

which is Hrvastka in Croatian.. i mean also the flag kinda gives it away a bit..

edit: whoops, i hadn't refreshed the page... repeat..

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

rosi and malik

You forgot about Mara

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site

One thing to consider is that the Rangers tend to be pretty conservative with young players. Just about all of the younger guys currently on the team where brought up because of an opening due to injury (they all played well enough to keep their spot after the injured player returned.) So it wouldn't be suprising to see Staal sent to Hartford for at least half of year.

Personally, I think 30-50 games in Hartford is probably prudent. My guess is that he could probably step in immediately next year and not look stupid, but I don't think he's ready to jump in and be a star. Time in the ahl wouldn’t be pointless, instead it might meen that he is a slightly more refined player when he does make the jump. I've heard of quite a few knowledgable people say that the biggest jump is between the junior and the pro ranks, not necessarily ahl to nhl.

At the same time, I've always gotten a sense, from the ranger's brass, that they view Staal differantly than the rest of the organization's prospects, that he's on a differant track. Don Maloney's gone on record to say that sending Marc back to juniors (he was one of the last players cut in camp) was the biggest mistake that organization had made this year. They also signed him immediately after the 05/06 camp, a month and a half after they had picked him. Based on this, I also don't think it would be too shocking that he makes the team right from the start.

He seems like the kind of prospect that could handle either route, he'd end up as a player either way.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
Personally, I think he does a year in Hartford unless he really impresses so much that he causes a player to be traded.

I've said as much on other boards and been flamed... apparently Staal will push the Rangers to the Cup finals next year...:help:

Nich

Dec 8, 2004
Wantagh
i knew i was missing someone, couldn't remember who

soooo repeat

malik (please no) - rosi
tuts - girardi
mara - staal

pock

honestly, i could see tuts and staal and mara and girardi as well

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
I'll be surprised if Staal doesn't start the year with the Rangers. IMO he will be a real good shutdown guy for many years.

Transported Upstater

I can't wait for him next season. Finally a real top pairing defenseman back on the team again.

Like I said earlier...he's your #1 anchor for the next decade once he has a few years under the system.

He just oozes consistency, dependability and sound fundamentals...MY kind of defenseman.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
I'm willing to wait for Staal. If him spending a year with the 'Pack helps his development, I'm all for it.

If he can be our #1 or 2 anchor guy, who will be our complimentary #1 or 2 offensive guy... Sanguinetti? Do we have anyone else in the system looking good?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I'm willing to wait for Staal. If him spending a year with the 'Pack helps his development, I'm all for it.

If he can be our #1 or 2 anchor guy, who will be our complimentary #1 or 2 offensive guy... Sanguinetti? Do we have anyone else in the system looking good?

Mike Sauer is looking extremely well as well. Another top 3 dman in the making.

And with Tyutin already....

Staal - Sanguinetti
Tyutin - Sauer

A nice top four set in place for years.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
Staal is 10x the Dman Sanguinetti is.

From what I've read, it's hard to compare the two. Staal is your rearguard anchor who is physical and who you want on the ice against the other team's top forwards, while Bobby is total offensive guy, almost a liability on defense, which he needs to work on.

If Sanguinetti can get his **** together in his own zone, he could be just as much of an asset.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
From what I've read, it's hard to compare the two. Staal is your rearguard anchor who is physical and who you want on the ice against the other team's top forwards, while Bobby is total offensive guy, almost a liability on defense, which he needs to work on.

If Sanguinetti can get his **** together in his own zone, he could be just as much of an asset.

Surprisingly...Bobby got very good reviews in his short stint in the AHL this year. I was sure it would be over his head but he proved me wrong. Coaching staff actually gave him top pair minutes by the end.

Bobby is still what..18 or 19? He's got a lot of developing left, and i fully expect him to play a year or 2 in the AHL..unlike Staal.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
Surprisingly...Bobby got very good reviews in his short stint in the AHL this year. I was sure it would be over his head but he proved me wrong. Coaching staff actually gave him top pair minutes by the end.

Bobby is still what..18 or 19? He's got a lot of developing left, and i fully expect him to play a year or 2 in the AHL..unlike Staal.

I agree, somewhat.

Staal will most likely spend most of this year in Hartford, and Sanguinetti will spend more time there in total, but the Rangers will need his help on the blueline sooner than later.

I just hope we upgrade from within rather than trade for defensive solutions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad