Marc Methot scouting report

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Greetings and salutations Columbus fans!

Sens fan here. I was just hoping you could, now that the season is finally set to start, give us a scouting report on Methot. We don't get to see him much out here. What are his strengths, weaknesses? What type of Dman would he be best with (it looks like he is starting with Karlsson, especially with Cowen out)? Can he fight? I imagine he won't see PP time, but does he PK? Does he hit? Block many shots?

Thanks in advance, and I think you guys will REALLY like Foligno. He is a great team guy, good 2-way, can hit, fight a bit, sticks up for teammates, and can pot you 20 goals a year.

BJFan1

Feb 6, 2008
Columbus
Greetings and salutations Columbus fans!

Sens fan here. I was just hoping you could, now that the season is finally set to start, give us a scouting report on Methot. We don't get to see him much out here. What are his strengths, weaknesses? What type of Dman would he be best with (it looks like he is starting with Karlsson, especially with Cowen out)? Can he fight? I imagine he won't see PP time, but does he PK? Does he hit? Block many shots?

Thanks in advance, and I think you guys will REALLY like Foligno. He is a great team guy, good 2-way, can hit, fight a bit, sticks up for teammates, and can pot you 20 goals a year.

If you want to see his stats, check here.

He is a great guy, more of a defensive d-man, does play on the PK, but not afraid to fire the puck to create some opportunities. He's not afraid to be physical and hit someone, and definitely willing to lay it down and take a puck. Can be a solid defensive player, but also a liability when it comes to the +/-... although, that could also be accredited to his pairing partner as well...

I think you'll like him, although, IMO, CBJ won this trade at face value.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
He's a stay at home type defenseman, probably the closest thing we've had to a shutdown dman in Columbus since Foote left. I like him alot, others opinions will vary, but i don't think anyone would say he's a liability on the ice. He is a big man and can play physical and smart (doesn't take stupid penalties).

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Thanks for the responses Jackets fans! Sounds like there is a big split in opinions on him. Do most of you think he'll be a good match with Karlsson, and allow EK to roam more freely? :)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Good skater, not afraid to be physical but he doesn't really start the aggression as he only plays physical if prompted by the other team. Id like to see him use his physicality more. He's got no offensive game, but thats not what you got him for. He's a Defensive Defenseman who can maybe develop into a poor mans shutdown defenseman. He's a solid 3rd pairing defenseman who can play on the 2nd pair and not look out of place. You have a good player.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
I liked him as a solid d-man. Not flashy, but hardworking and doesn't play stupidly. He had what I thought was his best game on New Years last year vs Ovechkin. Shut him down pretty much all night until they changed the matchups.

Quality community guy, too. Did a lot of work with the CBJ foundation, great personality with fans.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Methot is a dichotomy. Just about everything in this thread in true. I'll add that if the defense makes a bone-headed play that hangs the goalie out to dry, chances are Methot is on the ice.

I wish him well though. Ottawa is my second favorite team. Yeah, I sure can pick 'em! LOL

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Thanks for the responses Jackets fans! Sounds like there is a big split in opinions on him. Do most of you think he'll be a good match with Karlsson, and allow EK to roam more freely? :)

We'll see. It'll be the biggest responsibility he will ever have in his career. He hasn't been given that big of a role with the CBJ, time will tell.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
He's a better transition guy than he gets credit for, and can skate the puck out of danger periodically, but don't count on him for that role. Ideally he's best suited for the third pair, but he can play over his head if necessary. Not a very noticeable defenseman other than that – not a standout shot blocker, hitter, etc. but he fills his role well, at least I could see him doing so on a team with the right depth. He was often overused here.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
The only thing that I would add is that I thought Methot was very inconsistent through the course of the season. It did not really translate into the teams he was facing, but rather, the calender.

I broke his last season down into thirds, because to me he played great for a third of the season, good for a third of the season, and bad for a third of the season.

So, I guess if you average out the season, he is a good D-man.

Does that make any sense? :laugh:

Kutter

Jan 27, 2008
Dublin
On a historic note, a number of years back Methot and Aaron Rome battled it out for a spot in the lineup. Many had thought Rome would get the spot but Methot edged him out at the time. Rome eventually went on to sign as a free agent with Vancouver.

Rome played his junior hockey with the London Knights, and like a lot of former Knights has an excellent work ethic. He was always considered one of the most fit Jackets and was known to have a very intense off season fitness program. Several years ago he reportedly gave up beer to cut down on body fat.

He's a solid depth defenseman. I'd be interested to see how he does with Karlsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad