Injury Report: Marc Methot - Lower Body - Day to Day

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
You'll understand next season, and very fast.

I get that, but in the meantime, I think its fair to give Methot the nod ahead of him based on merit and play. Let Cowen actually prove himself. I have no doubt he will after he shakes off the cobwebs.

This is from TSN:

In the interim, Warren said that he expects the Senators to recall Mark Borowiecki from Binghamton of the AHL to temporarily fill the roster vacancy.

Hope this happens. Time to test Mark's metal.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Methot def. ahead of Cowen at this point in the game. And really, I expected Methot to play at #2 spot (as long as he could handle it).

So IMO, We've now lost our 1,2, 3/4 D man. Its pretty ridiculous. At this point.

Hope he heals quickly!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You'll understand next season, and very fast.

Methots number 2, whoever he plays with is 'the sens best d' according to hf. The consistency is incredible. How good he is defensively and getting the puck out controlled is just unbelievable.

I hope lebda gets the call up he skates very well I really liked his game in detroit. Clearly there is some familiarity with Maclean from his red wing days. Great to hear he is doing well in bingo.

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013
Yeah in my book Methot definately our number 2 D-man. Id love to see him play entire next season alongside Karlsson when hes back.

Last edited:

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I hope lebda gets the call up he skates very well I really liked his game in detroit.

Me: Michael Scott
You: Toby
Cause: for even suggesting Lebda

7N41g.gif

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
I get that, but in the meantime, I think its fair to give Methot the nod ahead of him based on merit and play. Let Cowen actually prove himself. I have no doubt he will after he shakes off the cobwebs.

This is from TSN:

Hope this happens. Time to test Mark's metal.

Is this speculation? Boro was/has been hurt the past 3 or 4 games. Is he ready?

DG

Sep 19, 2006
Toronto
If Cowen can become Methot, or a bit better, I'd call it success.

Methot is definitely #2 (or 3 given how good Gonchar has been this year) on the depth chart though right now, for me.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Anyone who doesn't think Methot is #2 needs to get their head checked....

I would rank our healthy D as

1)Karlsson
2)Gonchar
3)Methot
4)Cowen
5)Wiercioch
6)phillips

Do i seriously need to get my head checked? :amazed: :cry:

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Gonchar and Methot are basically our 2 and 3 guys. The order isn't really that important.

Anyway, anybody got an update? Mendes suggested MacStache would have a presser at 1:00.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Gonchar and Methot are basically our 2 and 3 guys. The order isn't really that important.

Anyway, anybody got an update? Mendes suggested MacStache would have a presser at 1:00.

You should start banning people who try and rank lists on this site. It's always the start of a huge pissing match between who is #4 vs #5.

Senschirp has an article saying Methot might play tomorrow. Steve Lloyd quoted Stache saying the same thing
Lundin is ready so no call up.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Me: Michael Scott
You: Toby
Cause: for even suggesting Lebda

7N41g.gif

People that watch bingo say he deserves it. He has played consistent nhl minutes too. Borowiecki is hurt makes perfect sense to me. Not a fan of lundin at all but apparently he is healthy so the point is moot.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Judging by the radio guys today, Lundin will get the nod if he can't go. Not expecting much, but I'm feeling that Benoit is ready to step up. He's played really well lately, mostly in the offensive game but he's a capable defender albeit undersized and not quite quick enough to be really effective.

Gonna really miss Methot on the PK but maybe Lundin will be able to help there.

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
I would rank our healthy D as

1)Karlsson
2)Gonchar
3)Methot
4)Cowen
5)Wiercioch
6)phillips

Do i seriously need to get my head checked? :amazed: :cry:

Phillips is definitely better than both Cowen and Weircioch right now.

burf

Mar 27, 2012

Methot is definitely #2 (or 3 given how good Gonchar has been this year) on the depth chart though right now, for me.

If Cowen can become Methot, I'd be satisfied.

Given his draft position though, I'd only really call it a success if he can develop a better offensive game than Methot - ie. a consistent 25+ point scorer.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I don't think ranking is as important as finding the right pairings. I don't care if it is Gonchar or Methot at #2, when Karlsson is back Methot is the better top 2 pairing.

With a healthy lineup (if such a thing exists in our world) I would pair them this way:
1) Karlsson/Methot
2) Gonchar/Cowen
3) Wiercioch/Phillips

And send some boys back to Bingo to get hungry to be in the show again.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Phillips is definitely better than both Cowen and Weircioch right now.

Honestly these lists are so stupid.

What factor other than icetime is anywhere near as relevant in ranking defensemen? Cowen hasn't played so we have to kind of guess where he'd go, but beyond that peoples' personal views aren't really relevant unless there is a difference of <1:00 or so in icetime.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Just to echo everyone's sentiments, Methot is certainly a #2 D. Even if he'd be ranked lower in a vacuum, he's such a complimentary player that he fills the #2 spot admirably. I'm confident that next year he pairs up with EK again. Of course this all stirs up the whole ranking vs pairing thing. Not here to argue, just to praise the Method Man.

So glad to hear that it's only a day-to-day injury. :phew:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Just to echo everyone's sentiments, Methot is certainly a #2 D. Even if he'd be ranked lower in a vacuum, he's such a complimentary player that he fills the #2 spot admirably. I'm confident that next year he pairs up with EK again. Of course this all stirs up the whole ranking vs pairing thing. Not here to argue, just to praise the Method Man.

So glad to hear that it's only a day-to-day injury. :phew:

It's only day-to-day!??!?!?!?

Thank you God.

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
It's only day-to-day!??!?!?!?

Thank you God.

I feel the same way, but I did as well with Michalek AND Anderson. They are still not back; one is hopefully not far off, the other we might see during the playoffs (if we make it)... and trouble comes in threes... He's back when he's back.

Until then, Gryba and Phillips and just became the backbone of Ottawa's defensive corps... against the NHL's elite. Gonchar could become a beast and become a MVP candidate.

Their next trial by fire is the Bruins... lol.

However, I still believe the Sens will win. :laugh: ... or at least sneak out with a point.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

Cowen has a much more accurate shot, and is more offensively inclined than Methot. If Cowen reaches Methot's defensive level of play, he will still have more upside.

Methot is our #2 for now. We will see how Cowen proceeds next season.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Without quoting everyone...

Let's just start by saying that my ranking was MY OPINION on who I think are our best D-men, based on overall ability and intangibles. Thought it was clear. No idea why so many people jump on that list so badly

Anyone who doesn't think Methot is #2 needs to get their head checked....

Ok I'm calling Bryan Murray because his coach needs to get his head checked.

1 Erik Karlsson OTT D 14 6 4 10 +6 8 2 1 2 0 63 9.5 27:03 28.5 0.0
2 Sergei Gonchar OTT D 27 2 18 20 +6 14 1 0 2 0 53 3.8 24:40 29.9 0.0
3 Marc Methot OTT D 30 1 3 4 -4 20 0 0 0 0 31 3.2 22:39 28.2 0.0
4 Eric Gryba OTT D 16 0 3 3 -5 16 0 0 0 0 30 0.0 21:37 27.9 0.0
5 Chris Phillips OTT D 30 4 5 9 +5 33 1 0 0 0 51 7.8 21:01 28.0 0.0
6 Andre Benoit OTT D 25 1 7 8 +0 4 0 0 1 0 40 2.5 16:02 23.0 0.0
7 Patrick Wiercioch OTT D 26 4 10 14 +5 29 2 0 0 0 50 8.0 15:18 20.9 0.0
8 Mike Lundin OTT D 7 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 0 0 10 0.0 14:43 19.4 0.0
9 Mark Borowiecki OTT D 6 0 0 0 +1 18 0 0 0 0 1 0.0 12:59 20.7 0.0

And who knows if everyone was healthy? Maybe Cowen would have more ice-time (or close) than Methot? Unlikely because Methot plays at ES with Karlsson but IMO, first PK pairing would have been Methot-Cowen. However, Cowen would have played PP too

PP units (to spread the strength) :

Cowen-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Gonchar

Methot is an excellent D-man but mainly in his zone. Cowen is still developing, this guy will be a monster.

Nothing wrong having Methot as our 4th best D-man, it just means our defense is awesome.

NOTE (before everyone jumps on it) : Regarding Gryba... He had an opportunity to play a lot this year because of injuries, hence why I don't consider him our #4 or #5. Basically, he's been asked to replace Cowen while Wiercioch is somewhat being asked to replace Karlsson (although with sheltered minutes).

Gonna really miss Methot on the PK but maybe Lundin will be able to help there.

Hopefully Lundin will be "unrusty" ala Latendresse despite missing time... Hard to do when you get a streak of injuries.

If Cowen can become Methot, I'd be satisfied.

Given his draft position though, I'd only really call it a success if he can develop a better offensive game than Methot - ie. a consistent 25+ point scorer.

Theing is Cowen is already better offensively and Cowen's defensive upside is unlimited (well exaggerating)

That being said, it's so funny to see everyone rank Methot as our undisputable #2... that's funny because of the comments regarding the Foligno trade. That's one heck of a turnover hehehe

And I still have no idea why people see Methot as the #2 and not Gonchar... Offense is as important defense and Gonchar plays both sides of the ice. Gonchar has been our MVP so far with Turris

Anderson would have the nod easily but we have a 3 goalies split.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->