Marc-Edouard Vlasic

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
For a teenager, Pickles has unreal hockey sense, especially in his own zone, but really all over the ice. He plays extremely disciplined hockey. Drew the first shift with Hannan and Grier tonight on a long 5-on-3 and was the guy to clear the zone and allow the unit to change.

He can skate and he has good hands. The only real questions about Vlasic are his conditioning (how well will he hold up over 82 games?) and his strength. He's got the frame to eventually develop into a strong player, but he's still a kid and as good as he looks, it's unclear if he'll stick past the ten game mark.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
For a teenager, Pickles has unreal hockey sense, especially in his own zone, but really all over the ice. He plays extremely disciplined hockey. Drew the first shift with Hannan and Grier tonight on a long 5-on-3 and was the guy to clear the zone and allow the unit to change.

He can skate and he has good hands. The only real questions about Vlasic are his conditioning (how well will he hold up over 82 games?) and his strength. He's got the frame to eventually develop into a strong player, but he's still a kid and as good as he looks, it's unclear if he'll stick past the ten game mark.

Along with Hannan he has been the best D man on the ice for the Sharks

Pure Rock Fury*

Pickles........ that's so obvious and simple, but I love it. We need to start using that and hopefully it'll stick.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Pickles showed some offensive skills, as well, tonight, though it won't show up in the box score. Did a good job holding the zone a couple of times. One thing I really like about his point game is the way he understands when to put the puck on net through a screen. He doesn't usually wind up big from the point, but has a knack for getting the puck through and on net in a way that is difficult for the goalie to track and creates rebound chances. Created several goals in the preseason doing just that.

Had a nice pinch tonight and was set up beautifully for a shot by Thornton, but partially fanned. I don't think Pickles is used to getting that kind of feeds yet. His instincts are just amazing, though, and the offense will come. I think we saw him a bit on the 2nd unit power play, as well, though I'm not certain of that. He's paired with Hannan right now, which is good because Scotty is the most defensively responsible of the Sharks' blueliners; takes pressure off the kid because he knows that if he makes a mistake it's not necessarily bad news the other way.

Falloooooon

Nov 11, 2004
When he was out there to kill that long 2 man disadvantage I was saying "Ron, it was cute of you to give the kid a shot doing this in the preseason, but get real."

Vlasic is the real deal, though, through one game. He's everything the coaches have been saying. Smart and poised, basically.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
He's completely blown past all my expectations. He looked pretty good in juniors, but he didn't seem nowhere near as polished. I have always questioned his hockey smarts, but so far it looks as if I may be proven wrong. Either Vlasic really improved over the summer or never got a chance to show his stuff while in the QMJHL.

Grizzly Adams

May 28, 2002
San Jose
I agree that he has looked great all preseason and was very solid opening night, but I'm going to wait at least 25 games before making a serious assesment on him, so far he has been great though.

Thresher

Jun 30, 2004
HECK
I appreciate Pickles

even more so knowing he's the Sharks 2nd round pick for Kip

so far, so great

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
[image]http://www.vlasic.com/Products/images/pic4-koser-dill-spears-BIG.jpg[/image]

That's the relation:biglaugh: . Pickles in U.S.A. and Bick's in Canada if it was only for the contents of the jar. Is there a hockey player named Bick? I was thinking they could share the nickname.:shakehead

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
He's completely blown past all my expectations. He looked pretty good in juniors, but he didn't seem nowhere near as polished. I have always questioned his hockey smarts, but so far it looks as if I may be proven wrong. Either Vlasic really improved over the summer or never got a chance to show his stuff while in the QMJHL.

Vlasic and Gragnani (Buf) were teammates in Midget AAA. ME looked bigger than MA but I always liked the latter. ME played for a very strong Junior team (Quebec) and had very good numbers where MA was on his own (PEI). For the NHL draft I had MA ahead just because of their Junior teams. How's that for pie in the face:innocent: . He is strong defensively and with good offense/passer. :handclap:

QuebeCaniac

Aug 28, 2006
Montreal

I agree. He is a great all-around defenseman and played a good game yesterday. But he sure looks skinny!

He'll be a great Dman for many many years to come.

FREE DENTAL CARE

Mar 20, 2004
Vlasic and "conditioning"

Apparently Vlasic is as well-conditioned as he can be. He works very hard on and off the ice. He may need to add some pounds, but if weight can be added, he'll do it.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Well us followers of the q always knew he and Letang were the real deal so no surprise there you Yandle overraters. There's no dolly mixtures here poofter!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad