News Article: Marc Denis' perspective on player management and PK Subban

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
your guess is wrong.

I wasnt replying to Marc Denis, I was replying to YOU, the guy who complained about P.K. not being used on the... P.K...

I guess I'll have to respond again and try to explain it to you, read the article that seb linked. The guy in that article said that we have better options on the P.k than Subban so that's why he's not playing on it. So my question was aimed at that article, who is a better option than Subban on the P.k. That's not complaining, I was simply responding to the article.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I guess I'll have to respond again and try to explain it to you, read the article that seb linked. The guy in that article said that we have better options on the P.k than Subban so that's why he's not playing on it. So my question was aimed at that article, who is a better option than Subban on the P.k. That's not complaining, I was simply responding to the article.

I pretty much awnsered your question, and the best you came up with was "guess you didnt read MD article", wich was a wrong guess.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Wow I always knew he was well spoken and articulate, but didn't realize he was this good of a writer. Very good read, offers an interesting take on the whole situation.

Thanks for sharing:handclap:

Do you not understand it was handed to a copywriter first?

- Ex player writes - P.K a good player who isn't quite the leader yet he should be in the locker-room

- Copywriter Edition - As grandeur, and prized, as young P.K Subban is to this team, the Norris Trophy winner is learning how to win on the ice, and capture the respect of his teammates.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
I pretty much awnsered your question, and the best you came up with was "guess you didnt read MD article", wich was a wrong guess.

But I'm not talking about Marc Denis' article, this isn't complicated. I was responding to the link of Marc Leclerc's article that seb posted.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
But I'm not talking about Marc Denis' article, this isn't complicated. I was responding to the link of Marc Leclerc's article that seb posted.

still, I gave you the awnser, 5th in the league, gave no goal to the 4th best PP last game... this isnt complicated either.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore

- Ex player writes - P.K a good player who isn't quite the leader yet he should be in the locker-room

- Copywriter Edition - As grandeur, and prized, as young P.K Subban is to this team, the Norris Trophy winner is learning how to win on the ice, and capture the respect of his teammates.

While what you say may be true for some, I believe (and so might be wrong) that Denis wrote the article himself. Have you ever heard him talk? Sounds exactly like him.

And if some other RDS guys' article are being handed to a copywriter first, well, it doesn't show at all. :laugh:

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
still, I gave you the awnser, 5th in the league, gave no goal to the 4th best PP last game... this isnt complicated either.

I don't think you understand really, in no way was I "complaining" about his usage as I was simply responding to Marc Leclerc's comments where he said that Subban wasn't good enough to play on the P.k. It's annoying when people have to make something out of nothing just like you did. Your replys make no sense considering my comment, now I'm done with this.

Last edited:

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Great article, I really like Marc Denis. I'M pretty sure someone re-wrote his original piece though.

His point is not obvious, and it's probably because as a RDS guy, he cannot state his opinions too clearly. But what he wants to say is:

1. It's OK to criticize players publicly, as long as you give them a chance to rebound.
2. PK's ice time in the last game wasn't what he should be getting.

Hence, Therrien can try to motivate him by blaming him for his mistakes, but he shouldn't cut on his ice-time the following game, since he's a game-breaker.

I fully agree. Subban looked like a castrated thoroughbred against the Blues.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Great article, I really like Marc Denis. I'M pretty sure someone re-wrote his original piece though.

His point is not obvious, and it's probably because as a RDS guy, he cannot state his opinions too clearly. But what he wants to say is:

1. It's OK to criticize players publicly, as long as you give them a chance to rebound.
2. PK's ice time in the last game wasn't what he should be getting.

Hence, Therrien can try to motivate him by blaming him for his mistakes, but he shouldn't cut on his ice-time the following game, since he's a game-breaker.

I fully agree. Subban looked like a castrated thoroughbred against the Blues.

forgot a damn important part...

Un entraîneur ne perdra pas son temps à pointer du doigt un joueur qui n’a pas d’impact sur le résultat final d’un match

feel free to translate if you want.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

Just because he's an ex hockey player you think he can't write? He sounds just like that in real life. But naw I'm sure everything he says is scripted, right?:sarcasm:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Just because he's an ex hockey player you think he can't write? He sounds just like that in real life. But naw I'm sure everything he says is scripted, right?:sarcasm:

Everything in the media is scripted to some degree, yes.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Like to Know if Therrian likes him off the ice or is their a dislike.I guess respect is the most important.Steve Shutt would say Bowman would see you in the store and try to walk away.Scotty was always afraid too be to friendly to a player because he knew he might have to get rid of you.But what Scotty had was Full respect among key players.The answer if future is will Therrian have respect of team.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Like to Know if Therrian likes him off the ice or is their a dislike.I guess respect is the most important.Steve Shutt would say Bowman would see you in the store and try to walk away.Scotty was always afraid too be to friendly to a player because he knew he might have to get rid of you.But what Scotty had was Full respect among key players.The answer if future is will Therrian have respect of team.

Its simple.

Just state that its obvious that Therrien hates Subban on and off the ice and repeat that as often as possible. Eventually people will be responding as to why its bad that Therrien hates Subban off the ice.

Next will follow the "IF Therrien hates Subban and we lose Subban because of that hate, I will change teams etc and so on."

Then we will have more threads with IF as the premise based upon the oft repeated statement that Therrien hates Subban.

This pretty much sums up the last couple of weeks here and in the media.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
It's written by and for people who are not of the Twitter generation and who require an immediate point to be made. Just like jokes require a setup to be established before hitting the audience with a punchline, Marc Denis is simply painting a picture.

His article only had a few hundred words. Is your attention span that short? How long did it honestly take you to read that? 4-5 min, right? Is your time that precious? :p
"The age of the baroque is over." - Ernest Hemingay

Writing is a craft, not art. Of course I appreciate this kinda stuff over the rest of the shoddy, terrible "sports journalism' in Montreal but it doesn't forgive Denis' 500 word essay's tweet's worth of content. :laugh:

Macbeth

Mar 12, 2008
Petite-Patrie, Qc

Writing is a craft, not art. Of course I appreciate this kinda stuff over the rest of the shoddy, terrible "sports journalism' in Montreal but it doesn't forgive Denis' 500 word essay's tweet's worth of content. :laugh:

That's a good one.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto

I love that you're quoting Hemingway and forgot to put the W in his name so the last syllable is "gay."

Keeping with novelists, it's not as if Marc Denis' essay was the work of F. Scott Fitzgerald, here. It's not dense or devoid of any meaning. Perhaps you think it takes too long for him to get to the point, but like I said, painting a picture makes the point all the more valid.

You think guys like Martin Luther King and Ghandi would have been as successful if they had simply said "Equality, please?" lol! How things are said is as important as what is being said. If you disagree with that, you can expect to be single soon if that's not already a reality. ;)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I love that you're quoting Hemingway and forgot to put the W in his name so the last syllable is "gay."

Keeping with novelists, it's not as if Marc Denis' essay was the work of F. Scott Fitzgerald, here. It's not dense or devoid of any meaning. Perhaps you think it takes too long for him to get to the point, but like I said, painting a picture makes the point all the more valid.

You think guys like Martin Luther King and Ghandi would have been as successful if they had simply said "Equality, please?" lol! How things are said is as important as what is being said. If you disagree with that, you can expect to be single soon if that's not already a reality. ;)

Cmon you're talking to the suave W7 here.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

Yeah that was a howler of a typo.

As for your point... I don't disagree but I think it's a bit of a reach to equate Marc Denis' column with major historical speeches. Also it's a cop out to try and make a personal insult out of it too.

I hate sports journalists but I've noticed that the columnists in RDS really like to "paint the picture" as you'd say... But how much of the picture still needs to be painted? Any fan who'd read RDS' columnists would be aware of most of this stuff already. No?

And how things are said does matter but in journalism you need to be brief above all. I was making a remark and you keep making personal jabs.

I like being single, thank you very much.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Yeah that was a howler of a typo.

As for your point... I don't disagree but I think it's a bit of a reach to equate Marc Denis' column with major historical speeches. Also it's a cop out to try and make a personal insult out of it too.

I hate sports journalists but I've noticed that the columnists in RDS really like to "paint the picture" as you'd say... But how much of the picture still needs to be painted? Any fan who'd read RDS' columnists would be aware of most of this stuff already. No?

And how things are said does matter but in journalism you need to be brief above all. I was making a remark and you keep making personal jabs.

I like being single, thank you very much.
They're not insults but I'm sorry you're taking them as such. More of a friendly jab, the way you tease friends.

In any case, we'll agree to disagree and I'll chalk it up to personal tastes. However, I'd rather read well written articles that give you some depth than some editorial that belongs in a Coles Notes book.

For that type of thing, I come here. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad