Marc Bergevin: We want to compete Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Ever had Lucky Lager? I swear people out West drink that **** like it's the best thing in the world. I took one sip and nearly spit it out. It's even worse than you think.

Lucky lager was the first beer I ever drank still remember a bunch of friends pitching 40$ to get a older brother to buy it. We all kinda laughed after seeing the case buck a beer slogan oh well got drunk friend pukes after 3 beers will always remember how awful that beer taste though.

In high school everyone went through a phase of buying James Ready just for its 5.5% and cheapness that is some awful stuff too.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Lucky lager was the first beer I ever drank still remember a bunch of friends pitching 40$ to get a older brother to buy it. We all kinda laughed after seeing the case buck a beer slogan oh well got drunk friend pukes after 3 beers will always remember how awful that beer taste though.

In high school everyone went through a phase of buying James Ready just for its 5.5% and cheapness that is some awful stuff too.

Yeah JR.... I started on lake port, then laker and then JR 5.5 as it was the best dollar to alcohol ratio that wasn't Old English or Colt 45......

Reactions: Peanut

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
It's been a hell of a long time since I drank piss beer. I remember the taste though.

Call me a beer snob if you wish, but I drink mostly Hoegaarden or if there isn't any, I go for the next white ale. If there's no white, I go for heineiken.

Don't worry dude, you're not a beer snob! :laugh:

The 'lowest' I go is Boréale. Anything below that (Pabst, Heineken, Corona, Molson/Coors etc), I get a serious headache.

I'd rather drink less, but more expensive beer. No hangover.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Don't worry dude, you're not a beer snob! :laugh:

The 'lowest' I go is Boréale. Anything below that (Pabst, Heineken, Corona, Molson/Coors etc), I get a serious headache.

I'd rather drink less, but more expensive beer. No hangover.
I don't think Heineken and Corona belong with those other degenerate beers mentioned. And how do you get a headache from Corona? Add a wedge of lime, it goes down like water, perfect hot summer outdoors beer.

Reactions: Tank Toad

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I don’t know the difference between good beer and bad beer, I just drink it...

It just needs to get me drunk and not give me a hangover.

You're the one who has to drink it, so the only thing that really matters is that you enjoy it. I think most (not all) beers actually serve a purpose. Neutral lagers that get shit on by my fellow beer snobs are wonderful to drink on a hot day, and you know who seems to agree? The Germans. Lagers came after ales, and due to their golden, crystal clear appearance, they were seen as a technological innovation: an elixir of the gods. And on a hot bavarian summer's day, that's absolutely correct.

There are many highly celebrated beers that are way too expensive that I would rather pour down the drain than drink on a hot summer's day. On the other hand, weissbiers like Paulaner are not celebrated by any beer snobs, but that shit is like a half litre of healing potion.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don’t know the difference between good beer and bad beer, I just drink it...

It just needs to get me drunk and not give me a hangover.
Develop your palet. You should switch to hard liquor if your objective is to just get drunk. You'll build up a tolerance for beer and that beer belly will creep up on your real quick.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
'

Gainey never brought the team to last place in the league GTFO with your bull****!!! and he won a stanley cup as GM of Dallas. Gauthier helped this team more in one year as GM than Bergevin has in 7 years! At least Gauthier was smart enough to resign Markov. Can't say the same for Bergevin. Gauthier also acquired Lars Eller. Who scored the stanley cup game winning goal? Ya I thought so. Who was the Canadiens best player this year? Brendan Gallagher. Who drafted Gallagher? Please stop posting until you come back with better arguments and GTFO wth your ridiculous disingenuous posts you're embarrassing yourself. open your eyes!!

Relax. It's a conversation and we disagree.

Gauthier: Can't believe you are defending him. I guess every squirrel gets a nut every once in a while eh?

Gainey and Bergevin: Same thing pretty much. They started off well and struggled towards the end. And I was a huge fan of Gainey as our GM for the record.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You're the one who has to drink it, so the only thing that really matters is that you enjoy it. I think most (not all) beers actually serve a purpose. Neutral lagers that get **** on by my fellow beer snobs are wonderful to drink on a hot day, and you know who seems to agree? The Germans. Lagers came after ales, and due to their golden, crystal clear appearance, they were seen as a technological innovation: an elixir of the gods. And on a hot bavarian summer's day, that's absolutely correct.

There are many highly celebrated beers that are way too expensive that I would rather pour down the drain than drink on a hot summer's day. On the other hand, weissbiers like Paulaner are not celebrated by any beer snobs, but that **** is like a half litre of healing potion.

I've developed a liking to japanese beers a lot more since moving to Asia. Used to like Sapporo, but Orion takes the cake.
Don't know if you can find it back home, personally had never seen it.
On the Belgium side, Achouffe brewery all the way.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Speaking of beer guys, maybe MB could go to the Molson Beer Division and run things there?? Keep hoping each time I logon the board, that MB will be fired...............tick tick tick....

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Speaking of beer guys, maybe MB could go to the Molson Beer Division and run things there?? Keep hoping each time I logon the board, that MB will be fired...............tick tick tick....

New beer flavor rolled out by Molson... Bergevin Buster. Brewed with character and the right attitude. The taste is in the bottle and if you don't like it, it's on me.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Call me racist but I only drink whites these days (mostly Farnham 12)

On a sidenote, I work next to Molson's new brewery in Longueuil/St-Hubert. I can't wait to see Bergevin on his next job: truck driver. I bet he would trade his spare tires for headlights right before having a flat tire

Reactions: lo striver

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Relax. It's a conversation and we disagree.

Gauthier: Can't believe you are defending him. I guess every squirrel gets a nut every once in a while eh?

Gainey and Bergevin: Same thing pretty much. They started off well and struggled towards the end. And I was a huge fan of Gainey as our GM for the record.

Gainey never struggled that much. He had a playoffs bubble team as he was adding sloppy core pieces to a team that had almost nothing when he took over. You could argue that the most depressing year happened with the darkest Day in History. He made a small reset because there was a lot of pressure for the centennial year. He resigned a few months later but then it was followed by Halak's legendary run. Mind you, the team missed Markov, Cammy and Gionta for many games as well. He made a lot more of coach juggling though: Therrien -> Julien -> Carbo -> Martin

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Gainey never struggled that much. He had a playoffs bubble team as he was adding sloppy core pieces to a team that had almost nothing when he took over. You could argue that the most depressing year happened with the darkest Day in History. He made a small reset because there was a lot of pressure for the centennial year. He resigned a few months later but then it was followed by Halak's legendary run. Mind you, the team missed Markov, Cammy and Gionta for many games as well. He made a lot more of coach juggling though: Therrien -> Julien -> Carbo -> Martin

Where Gainey is weak, Bergevin is strong (And vice versa). Gainey failed to address the depth in case of injuries and Bergevin is not very good at managing skilled young players. The results are sort of the same... they both started out well and struggled towards the end.

8 top 100 picks from 2008-2011. That is on Gainey and very few people are willing to acknowledge this. This set us up for failure with our prospect pool for many years after and we are only turning the corner from this now... 7 years later. I'm a fan of Gainey, he tried but he made mistakes that costs us as well. That Gomez trade is very bad too. One of the worse in our History.

Bergevin has not mortgaged the future but he has made too many trades trying to change the culture of the team. He screwed up last off season big time IMO. 3 year deal for Galchenyuk, Too much money for Price, Lost Radulov and Markov, and signed Alzner to a stupid contract.

We can like Gainey cause he was a man that deserves respect. But he made mistakes as well. I think Gainey is the better GM but I'm not willing to put him on a pedestal while using a hate evaluation on Bergevin at the same time. In the end, both of these guys struggled towards the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad