GDT: Marc Bergevin to Meet with Media @ 5:30PM ET

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
so that's the excuse for staying mediocre ?
rather finish 8th since "once in the PO anything can happen"

like teams without superstars upfront have as much of a chance to win it all than teams with Crosbys, OV, Kane and co ?
like it happens so very often that teams finishing 7th or 8th in their conf win the big trophy right ?

I think you need to avoid imagining your own interpretations of people's posts please it's annoying.

As far as everyone thought this summer (why else would it be a constant stream of negativity regarding the lineup?) this team WOULD be in the mix for the first overall pick. What do you want Bergevin to do - trade the veterans once he sees the team was winning too much at the start of the year? He traded the captain already.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
DLO, Chaput and Agostino looks good.

if you want to get proper grinders you need les ptits gars de chez nous. They go to war for the shirt. There must be a mistake with Agostino's birthplace, he's a ptit gars de chez nous, too, if not by birthright by adoption. he's our 4th line john snow. his bloodline will be revealed in a a year or two.

Reactions: ArtPeur

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I think you need to avoid imagining your own interpretations of people's posts please it's annoying.

As far as everyone thought this summer (why else would it be a constant stream of negativity regarding the lineup?) this team WOULD be in the mix for the first overall pick. What do you want Bergevin to do - trade the veterans once he sees the team was winning too much at the start of the year? He traded the captain already.
guess you did not notice the many ????
or maybe you just don't know their meaning.
or maybe you do and just avoided awnsering the few Q.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
2020 Entry Draft has Alex Lafreniere, the Habs depth in their top six would be near unstoppable. IMHO.
I am not gushing over either Hughes or Lafreniere. Neither is generational in my opinion right now. But I might change my mind some day. I'm not always right!

Reactions: PaulD

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Who cares whether they’re in the playoff race instead of last because a few people said that was their expectations? The end result is the same. No chance at a cup. They’ve been dummying ****y teams all year. Atleast if we finish lower, we have better draft positioning in all 7 rounds.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Who cares whether they’re in the playoff race instead of last because a few people said that was their expectations? The end result is the same. No chance at a cup. They’ve been dummying ****y teams all year. Atleast if we finish lower, we have better draft positioning in all 7 rounds.

Yeah but who us in control of that? No one ever thought they'd be even this good

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
What are you crying about man? What do you want to see? What do you want Bergevin to do right now?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
What are you crying about man? What do you want to see? What do you want Bergevin to do right now?

I’m *****ing because he built a very average team. There’s nothing to do. Just hope we continue to drop and hope he stays conservative and doesn’t start getting desperate thinking “anything can happen in the playoffs.”

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
To stop pretending we have a chance in the playoffs.
I finally got a chance to listen to his press conference - and that doesn't strike me as a guy pining his hopes on making a desperate move in order to have a chance in the playoffs.

But there's only so much you can take & leave with these press conferences.

To be more realistic towards a roster that has a panoply of holes.
Again, listening to his press conference, he did indicate that trading veterans at this deadline was something he's considered and could look at.

So it *seems* he's aware of these holes on the roster and that they need to be addressed with more long term vision then quick fixes.

But once more - Bergevin's unpredictable, so who the hell knows.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
To stop pretending we have a chance in the playoffs.

To be more realistic towards a roster that has a panoply of holes.

And what the hell are you expecting?

You want to see him take the mic and tell everybody that we suck and we are not going to make the PO?

I mean... Come on...

I’m *****ing because he built a very average team. There’s nothing to do. Just hope we continue to drop and hope he stays conservative and doesn’t start getting desperate thinking “anything can happen in the playoffs.”

Does he look desperate? Does he act desperate? I hear this all the time but I rarely witnessed some desperate moves from his part, to be honest.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
The Habs are in a pretty good spot right now. Kotkaniemi is by all acounts looking like a future star for us, Domi has proven he can be a legit center in the league, we have some very solid prospects coming up the pipeline (a league-high participation rate at the WJHC), and ten more picks this upcoming draft - including six in the first four rounds. We are among the league leaders in forward depth scoring. Bergevin indicated that if anything, he will likely be a seller at the deadline, perhaps further bolstering our future outlook. Not to mention a ton of cap space to play with.

The Habs are well-positioned looking forward at this point.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Why can't the Habs never land a Matthews-type or a Laine. We were so close with Laine.

because players of that caliber dont come around very often,

it could be another 5-10 years before another matthews comes around,

nobody in this draft is even close

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
Agreed, however all 31 teams have "some nice solid pieces to build around"

The Montreal Canadiens have had "some nice solid pieces to build around" since Christ was a child.
Like all NHL teams, professional players are constantly provided.

For some time now in Montreal that means ****...... because of who is doing the "building".

100% agree...every team has some nice young players here and there, but a clear plan and managing assets is a different thing entirely. Knowing when to sell an asset and when to buy an asset is key...at times we have done well in trades...when we traded Rivet for Pacioretty and Gorges - that is the type of deal we need to make for a guy like Petry. It's about evaluating our team...current and future...and making a plan to create a window to win - I believe that our window is already pretty much closed because Price & Weber are on the back 9 of their careers and they are our best players. By the time our true core will be old enough and mature Price and Weber will be too old, their play will diminish, and they won't be worth much via trade. And the cycle will begin again.

We need a GM to make these tough decisions about when to sell assets at the right time to maximize a return and build toward a cup.

Reactions: Pickles and PaulD

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
I finally got a chance to listen to his press conference - and that doesn't strike me as a guy pining his hopes on making a desperate move in order to have a chance in the playoffs.

But there's only so much you can take & leave with these press conferences.

Again, listening to his press conference, he did indicate that trading veterans at this deadline was something he's considered and could look at.

So it *seems* he's aware of these holes on the roster and that they need to be addressed with more long term vision then quick fixes.

But once more - Bergevin's unpredictable, so who the hell knows.

I'm in the 'fire bergevin' bucket BUT I've said it before and I'll say it again, if he starts to trade vets for picks and prospects I will have renewed faith at least in part. I STILL think the larger issues will be Price & Weber though.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I'm in the 'fire bergevin' bucket BUT I've said it before and I'll say it again, if he starts to trade vets for picks and prospects I will have renewed faith at least in part. I STILL think the larger issues will be Price & Weber though.
Those guys are immovable! They're here to die. I don't have a problem with it to be honest, as I think you need solid vets to be able to rebuild successfully.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Does he look desperate? Does he act desperate? I hear this all the time but I rarely witnessed some desperate moves from his part, to be honest.
No desperation on his part, he knows there's enough fans extactic at the possibility of remaining mediocre for a long time.

HE has enough fans.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
100% agree...every team has some nice young players here and there, but a clear plan and managing assets is a different thing entirely. Knowing when to sell an asset and when to buy an asset is key...at times we have done well in trades...when we traded Rivet for Pacioretty and Gorges - that is the type of deal we need to make for a guy like Petry. It's about evaluating our team...current and future...and making a plan to create a window to win - I believe that our window is already pretty much closed because Price & Weber are on the back 9 of their careers and they are our best players. By the time our true core will be old enough and mature Price and Weber will be too old, their play will diminish, and they won't be worth much via trade. And the cycle will begin again.

We need a GM to make these tough decisions about when to sell assets at the right time to maximize a return and build toward a cup.
window has been nailed shut since MB and MT got on board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->