GDT: Marc Bergevin to Meet with Media @ 5:30PM ET

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Yep. they out right tanked in 016. And still had a better winning percentage that the Carey Priceless habs did. Had Carey missed that entire season Habs could have had have Matthews. :sarcasm:

Ive seen somewhere that when the last ball was to be drawn that the Habs had better odds than the leafs for winning the #1 overall pick(2 numbers vs 1). Imagine how that would have changed the landscape.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't consider Burkes failures as a rebuild. Those cornerstones were there because Burke made a mess of the team and it sucked. Burke/Nonis tried to win make the playoffs every year. NO one can forget the trade for Kessel and then getting the 2nd over all pick.

Its like saying MB has been rebuilding all along because we missed the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years.

Shanny came in and targeted the Matthews draft. After he got Matthews his rebuild was over and he was smart enough to not trade every player with talent on his team for some mythical in 3 years we will compete so lets trade everyone for MOAR picks.

And throughout the "rebuild" in which he didn't trade all of his talent, he even traded "futures" a 1st and 2nd for a back up goalie and he signed a 38 year old to a multi year contract.

I'm not sure what the context is of your comments but the only point I'm trying to make was that there were some rebuild peices already in place before Matthews came in and that it wasn't simply a 1 year process. Matthews just happened to be the most vital peice of it.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I'm not sure what the context is of your comments but the only point I'm trying to make was that there were some rebuild peices already in place before Matthews came in and that it wasn't simply a 1 year process. Matthews just happened to be the most vital peice of it.

I agree Matthews put them over the top.

The context is that Shanny was smart to not dump every single talent he had to get MOAR picks. He held onto those rebuild pieces even one he got in 2012 in Reilly. Kadri was also on the down trend when he came on board he was not the player he was today.

Shanny even held onto all his UFA's last year for the playoffs instead of selling them.

Shanny came into a good position because Burke/Nonis screwed everything up so much and also gave him some good pieces from nearly a decade of incompetence from those 2.

Not trying to discredit Shannahan, I actually think he did a good job and showed that you can rebuild without throwing everything off your team and you don't need top 5 picks 5 years in a row. He got Marner and Matthews and then went out and traded futures for a goalie and singed a 38 year old.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If we miss the playoffs this year and don't improve next year he's as good as gone imo

And that shouldn't even be the barometer. He's built us into a perennial 7, 8, 9 seed. It doesn't even matter if we make the playoffs, we're not contenders and with direction he's taking us we have no hope of contending in the forseeable future.

But we're such a young team witha lot of prospects knockong at the door, hard to imagine us not improving next year even with no trades or ufa's. 90% of our roster will just be better because they're a year older and more mature. Really, only Weber and Petry may decline due to age, and maybe Tatar. But even they may not.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site

The context is that Shanny was smart to not dump every single talent he had to get MOAR picks. He held onto those rebuild pieces even one he got in 2012 in Reilly. Kadri was also on the down trend when he came on board he was not the player he was today.

Shanny even held onto all his UFA's last year for the playoffs instead of selling them.

Shanny came into a good position because Burke/Nonis screwed everything up so much and also gave him some good pieces from nearly a decade of incompetence from those 2.

Not trying to discredit Shannahan, I actually think he did a good job and showed that you can rebuild without throwing everything off your team and you don't need top 5 picks 5 years in a row. He got Marner and Matthews and then went out and traded futures for a goalie and singed a 38 year old.

Shanny had little to do with it...Lou was the guy pulling the strings. The Leafs did a fabulous job of managing assets for a few years...they would sign UFAs then trade them for picks, it was pretty genius. They also traded their best forward and their best D. The guys they kept were all mid 20's.

As for last year, I would argue they made a mistake in not trading JVR prior. And the same can be said about Gardiner this year if they lose him for nothing - mind you this year they have a better team with JT so it's easier to swallow if they lose Gardiner for nothing.

The next 1-2 moves will make or break the Leafs. They will be good for awhile but their cap situation is going to get that much trickier when Kadri and Andersen are up. They should be going all in this year imo.

As for the habs I think we have some nice solid pieces to build around. But none of those are Weber, Price, Petry, Shaw, or Byron. If I was going to keep ONE of those guys it would be Weber.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Shanny had little to do with it...Lou was the guy pulling the strings. The Leafs did a fabulous job of managing assets for a few years...they would sign UFAs then trade them for picks, it was pretty genius. They also traded their best forward and their best D. The guys they kept were all mid 20's.

As for last year, I would argue they made a mistake in not trading JVR prior. And the same can be said about Gardiner this year if they lose him for nothing - mind you this year they have a better team with JT so it's easier to swallow if they lose Gardiner for nothing.

The next 1-2 moves will make or break the Leafs. They will be good for awhile but their cap situation is going to get that much trickier when Kadri and Andersen are up. They should be going all in this year imo.

As for the habs I think we have some nice solid pieces to build around. But none of those are Weber, Price, Petry, Shaw, or Byron. If I was going to keep ONE of those guys it would be Weber.
Agreed, however all 31 teams have "some nice solid pieces to build around"

The Montreal Canadiens have had "some nice solid pieces to build around" since Christ was a child.
Like all NHL teams, professional players are constantly provided.

For some time now in Montreal that means shit...... because of who is doing the "building".

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Of course there are people that said MB was in the running for GM of the year, but there are just as many (if not more) that are being pig headed and hypocritical and can't acknowledge when he does something half decent.

and then there are posters like you, which I read and like, that keep arguing with the marginal fanbase and handful of believers that had planned the parade. Now I understand its all in good fun and I'd be lying if I said I did not laugh at some of your cracks every now and then, but at some point you have to respect the believers. They are emotional, hysterical even. They believe. Its not rational, its like religion. It personally makes me happy to see fans get excited about the season, no matter how ****ty the previous one was.

sometimes, just sometimes, it feels like you guys are borderline ''happy'' when habs are in a slump. It proves your point. But which point? There is no need for the ''I TOLD YOU'' narrative when 90% of the fanbase kept a cold head the whole time and were just pleasantly surprised when something good like Domi finally happens. Sometimes, its rubs me the wrong way, in a manner that a believer never could.

cheers.
I haven't felt happy about the Habs since 2014 mate..Maybe that's why I'm like the old grumpy man.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Yeah I mean people think rebuild and say well "look at how they stockpiled picks". Do they have a good pipeline? Not particularly, they just managed to snag the first overall pick in a year where it wasn't Hall or Yakupov but Matthews.

The guys they drafted very highly are the difference makers on the team. I don't see many other guys contributing significantly on their roster that aren't first round picks and were drafted by them. Kadri, Rielly, Marner, Matthews. They traded or acquired Kapanen, Marleau, Tavares, Andersen. Are guys like Gardiner and Brown really important pieces?

All that is to say that rebuilding is useless unless your first round picks end up being stars in key positions. Rebuilding seems a crapshoot in many ways.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
sometimes, just sometimes, it feels like you guys are borderline ''happy'' when habs are in a slump. It proves your point. But which point? There is no need for the ''I TOLD YOU'' narrative when 90% of the fanbase kept a cold head the whole time and were just pleasantly surprised when something good like Domi finally happens. Sometimes, its rubs me the wrong way, in a manner that a believer never could.

cheers.
I really enjoy your comment ; you really nail it

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's entirely possible Bergevin is simply a figurehead at this point - just a well paid one.

ST.gif

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Yeah I mean people think rebuild and say well "look at how they stockpiled picks". Do they have a good pipeline? Not particularly, they just managed to snag the first overall pick in a year where it wasn't Hall or Yakupov but Matthews.

The guys they drafted very highly are the difference makers on the team. I don't see many other guys contributing significantly on their roster that aren't first round picks and were drafted by them. Kadri, Rielly, Marner, Matthews. They traded or acquired Kapanen, Marleau, Tavares, Andersen. Are guys like Gardiner and Brown really important pieces?

All that is to say that rebuilding is useless unless your first round picks end up being stars in key positions. Rebuilding seems a crapshoot in many ways.
so that's the excuse for staying mediocre ?
rather finish 8th since "once in the PO anything can happen"

like teams without superstars upfront have as much of a chance to win it all than teams with Crosbys, OV, Kane and co ?
like it happens so very often that teams finishing 7th or 8th in their conf win the big trophy right ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->