Marc Bergevin: Search for Redemption

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Some years, the Habs seem to be more affected by injuries than others. The seasons 2009, 2012, and 2016 are examples of such years.

This may be one of the years. It is so far, but obviously most of the season remains. The team has been missing Byron, Armia, Juulsen, and Weber for a while. Some say that Domi is playing hurt.

It does seem like a lot, but then again every team has injuries. I am not sure at which point the number of injuries becomes a legitimate excuse for a poor season.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
The same media people who excused Bergevin's many low-risk/no-reward acquisitions will find a way to minimize the truly awful Alzner signing - a play who is buyout proof and has a partial NTC.

-It's only 3.6m cap hit in the AHL, who cares!
-So what - he tried to shore up the defense, didn't YOU say that the defense was bad? So now you wanna blame him for trying to fix it??
-Why don't you cheer for the Predators if you like defense so much?
-It didn't work out in the NHL but he's going to help our youngsters in the AHL so it might be overall good
-Alzner was a bad pickup, yes, but did you see how bad Sergachev played the other night? LOL!!

etc.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Bergevin can end up with two very great trades in Drouin and Domi, yet they wouldn't even be enough to excuse the terrible job he's job overall. That's how bad he's been.

Reactions: BLONG7 and Pickles

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Bergevin can end up with two very great trades in Drouin and Domi, yet they wouldn't even be enough to excuse the terrible job he's job overall. That's how bad he's been.
In terms of pure asset value, if there is such a thing, the fact that this club did not develop a single 50-60 point scorer in over six years absolutely tanked this organization.

A good one on one trade doesn't make up for a general lack of talent establishing themselves on the team. And I don't count Juulsen and Mete as talent, they're replacement-level producers so far. Hudon is on the verge of getting waived... Outside of Kotkaniemi it has been bleak for Habs prospects making it in the NHL.

Reactions: Pickles

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Nothing can ever excuse the bad management of the years 2013-2018.

If 2018-???? end up being better years, it will only mean that those years are better years.

It's equivalent to having an B-/C+ in one class and an A in another. They're separate things.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Nothing can ever excuse the bad management of the years 2013-2018.

If 2018-???? end up being better years, it will only mean that those years are better years.

It's equivalent to having an B-/C+ in one class and an A in another. They're separate things.
I'd prefer to frame it as having a poor grade in one semester, and then another, and then another, and then another, and then another, and then another and a better one in the most recent one. The context attaches the results into the overall GPA/pt%. In this analogy, Bergevin's only still in college because his daddy bought the swim team a new olympic sized venue... every single year.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
In terms of pure asset value, if there is such a thing, the fact that this club did not develop a single 50-60 point scorer in over six years absolutely tanked this organization.

A good one on one trade doesn't make up for a general lack of talent establishing themselves on the team. And I don't count Juulsen and Mete as talent, they're replacement-level producers so far. Hudon is on the verge of getting waived... Outside of Kotkaniemi it has been bleak for Habs prospects making it in the NHL.
Agreed. It was a bit funny to hear posters rave about the likes of Hudon, DLR, BigMac, Scherbak and claim how Bergevin had nothing when he took over. Those guys just replaced the Leblanc, Kristo, Tinordi and such. It's as if those posters were not around during that time.
Right now, Kotka and Suzuki are the only two good names. Hoping Poehling becomes one as well, but he's not there yet.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Agreed. It was a bit funny to hear posters rave about the likes of Hudon, DLR, BigMac, Scherbak and claim how Bergevin had nothing when he took over. Those guys just replaced the Leblanc, Kristo, Tinordi and such. It's as if those posters were not around during that time.
Right now, Kotka and Suzuki are the only two good names. Hoping Poehling becomes one as well, but he's not there yet.

Though I agree with your general tone, the people who follow Habs prospects in detail seem to be universally enthusiastic about Brook.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Though I agree with your general tone, the people who follow Habs prospects in detail seem to be universally enthusiastic about Brook.
I learned early on to not give a damn about a prospect until they're in the NHL. Too many busts and misses, too many interesting youngsters who fall off.

If Brook is good then he should be in the NHL sooner than later. Then we'll see. I'll respect his pedigree and rate him accordingly when he's on the cusp, otherwise it's a waste of time.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I'll never forgive him for trading PK, and the way he treated Andrei. Plus those bad contracts, an endless burden on the team for years to come. On the flip side, he's done rather well recently trying hard to undo the damage he inflicted in the first place. Still lots to do, but at least we're headed in the right direction this time. Let's hope it lasts.

Reactions: Pickles and BLONG7

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Some years, the Habs seem to be more affected by injuries than others. The seasons 2009, 2012, and 2016 are examples of such years.

This may be one of the years. It is so far, but obviously most of the season remains. The team has been missing Byron, Armia, Juulsen, and Weber for a while. Some say that Domi is playing hurt.

It does seem like a lot, but then again every team has injuries. I am not sure at which point the number of injuries becomes a legitimate excuse for a poor season.

It is abnormal compared to league average, we're probably top 5 in the league in total MGL to injuries in the last decade, and also prime game lost to injury (top 3 best players).

This begs the question, if we are both a top the league in injuries in the last decade and have had the smallest collection of players in that same decade, is there a link between the two?

I say this, and do realize it's some of our bigger players who got injured, but that might just be because of the fact they are overly relied upon as the rare bigger players on the club. I know the league is getting faster, but at the same time, for the Habs in particular, maybe we should try to deviate from this injury bug by getting players who are tougher. Or is it just all random?

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
It is abnormal compared to league average, we're probably top 5 in the league in total MGL to injuries in the last decade, and also prime game lost to injury (top 3 best players).

This begs the question, if we are both a top the league in injuries in the last decade and have had the smallest collection of players in that same decade, is there a link between the two?

I say this, and do realize it's some of our bigger players who got injured, but that might just be because of the fact they are overly relied upon as the rare bigger players on the club. I know the league is getting faster, but at the same time, for the Habs in particular, maybe we should try to deviate from this injury bug by getting players who are tougher. Or is it just all random?
That's an interesting hypothesis. Maybe you could test it by seeing whether the top 5 in MGL were equally small. If they were then maybe it's more than a coincidence.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->