Marc Bergevin: Redemption Song Part 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
[QUOTE="
Would Montreal be there next season if we keep pretty much the same roster ? No.

I fully disagree, we lost so much 3 on 3 and simply the additions of CC changes the 3 on 3 lottery odds.
We lost the games , if you do a count with the eastern teams we end up 11th.

With the new standings ending with the wild card with that record is simply impossible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc McKenna

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
But it's not all or nothing. Making the playoffs was better than missing. Winning the first round was better than losing. Winning the second round was better than losing as well.
Context of discussion matters.
Years of misery under Bergevin isn't going to be forgotten because we win 2 rounds as underdogs.
So if the discussion is about moving forward with this management group, well it's important to understand what people are discussing.

So we are in the final four. If nothing else it may convince good free agents to sign with us, assuming competitive deals are offered.
It may. Maybe it changes nothing on that front. All rainbows and butterflies now, it's like we forget Bergevin fired two coaches this year and was sweating bullets up until game 5 vs Leafs.
Maybe we lose in 4 or 5 vs Vegas and we're celebrating a CF as if it's some super meaningful accomplishment.
Guess we will find out soon, all we can do for now is chant Go Habs Go!.

We do not need to win the Cup to recognize that the team this year is better than last year's team, which is all I said going into this, before the firestorm.

If we do win the Cup (to me the chances are less than 15%), it is icing on the cake.
I mean, we added Toffoli, Edmundson and Anderson so I don't think there were too many people arguing we weren't better.
Being better than a team who finished in the bottom tier isn't some strong improvement.
Circumstances have it that they're not in the final 4, that's awesome. They stepped up when needed in the POs, hopefully this persists.

I do recognize that MB won't be fired like I originally wanted, by or before the end of this season. But I hope we will see how this season ends and in the case of a quick exit against Vegas, how next season starts, before he is offered any extension.
Same.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The only thing i can say about that is, what can seems to be an ''evidence'' that proove your opinion to be right to you.....may not be for others, so in the end it's only a matter of opinion

Are you suggesting that there is no difference between opinion and fact?

Agree to disagree

Reactions: Doc McKenna

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
[QUOTE="
Would Montreal be there next season if we keep pretty much the same roster ? No.

I fully disagree, we lost so much 3 on 3 and simply the additions of CC changes the 3 on 3 lottery odds.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but that is a pathetic reason. What’s next - if CC was there we wouldn’t have hit so many posts and this have scored more to wing more games?

We had no business making the playoffs and I don’t see it happening next year, with or without CC.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You can also cheer for your team and enjoy the run while thinking Bergevin is a good GM ...

This has got to be the most ill-conceived repartee attempted on this forum.

The above was in response to the proposition that you can cheer for the team while wishing to hold Bergevin to account over the whole of his tenure.

What is the likelihood for someone who believes Bergevin to be a good GM, to concurrently want to cheer against the team? Talk about captain obvious material. It's as close to a sine qua non proposition that you can make. :laugh:

Talk about a failed tit for tat.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
This has got to be the most ill-conceived repartee attempted on this forum.

The above was in response to the proposition that you can cheer for the team while wishing to hold Bergevin to account over the whole of his tenure.

What is the likelihood for someone who believes Bergevin to be a good GM, to concurrently want to cheer against the team? Talk about captain obvious material. It's as close to a sine qua non proposition that you can make. :laugh:

Talk about a failed tit for tat.

Lol.........thank you sir, have a good game

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
"Iceberg ahead captain. It appears dangerous and has the colour of gold."

"Huh what, Berg? Berg? Why thats me and I am always ahead! Steady as she goes ensign. Looks like smooth sailing."

Reactions: Runner77

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004

Congrats Marc !

You almost don't know how to react to this. I mean, the team he built can look like a bottom three in the league team for long stretches and is now knocking on the door of the finals. Congrats to him! This can only help his value on an extension

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Bergevin deserves credit for not sticking around Therrien and Julien too long. These coaches do have their merits though, but have big egos. Therrien would smoke pack after pack of cigarettes at the bell centre, Julien coaches the Julien way, technically it's a perfect system, but he's always seemed to struggle with rookies.

Ducharme doesn't seem to have much of an ego, but the players must love the fact that they're not being over coaches as they were with Julien and Therrien.

He however shelters the rookies and provide them with an environment a safer environment to fully develop.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
All 3 of those GMs have done a really good job building their teams.

The Bolts have been the best run franchise since Yzerman took over... he's got a great vision and eye for organizational talent, scooped Brisebois from under our noses.

Lou, as much as i may not care for the personality, is also a proven organizational leader with a clear vision and well established track record of building successful cultures. What he's done with the Islanders since taking over speaks for itself.

Vegas is impressive in that they leveraged a great situation to collect a boat load of assets, but what they've done since the expansion bonanza is the real testament... targeted additions and revamping the roster into a skilled, heavy, deep team, that has one of the better prospect groups in place so sustaining contender status seems quite likely.

we sit as an anomaly... hopefully osmosis rubs off a bit and we see some astute decisions this summer!

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
Bergevin deserves credit for not sticking around Therrien and Julien too long. These coaches do have their merits though, but have big egos. Therrien would smoke pack after pack of cigarettes at the bell centre, Julien coaches the Julien way, technically it's a perfect system, but he's always seemed to struggle with rookies.

Ducharme doesn't seem to have much of an ego, but the players must love the fact that they're not being over coaches as they were with Julien and Therrien.

He however shelters the rookies and provide them with an environment a safer environment to fully develop.

Didn't stick too long with MT?..... huh.....???

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
My lunch tonight. Congrats Marc. You've done it. And you deserve your new contract.

images

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
He built a team that is contending for a cup.

Credit earned, credit given.
They’re gonna win the cup. It’s quite clear the way they are playing. You don’t blanket stars in 3 series because of fluke. They’ve been the strongest team in the playoffs since the Toronto series win.

we were all wrong. Bergevin has turned hockey on his head in building a conventional team with no stars outside of goal and no puck moving d man. It goes against the prevailing hockey zeitgeist and it’s working.

Reactions: Babyhockey and 417
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad