Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Eller owned Bergevin like Android 18 owned Vegeta though.

Bergevin likes Vegeta types, but hates Goku types. Vegeta has ego, is bombastic as hell, has some skill. But Goku simply is better and GETS....****...DONE. It is scary how Drouin and Marchessault parallel Vegeta and Goku.

But Vegeta is the hard worker and puts to work the work to maximize his potential, whereas Goku is the unfair natural talent who gets better without trying all that hard. I could never picture Drouin being a parallel to Vegeta.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
20p6gp5.gif

Reactions: Draft and Runner77

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Love this line from the “What the Puck” writer-

“It all reminds me of a line someone used on Twitter about a year ago: If Marc Bergevin was actually working to destroy the Canadiens, what would he do differently?”

Sign Pacioretty 8x8, sign Plekanec 4x3, sign Johnson 5x4, sign Bozak.

Pacioretty - Bozak - Gallagher
Domi - Danault - Drouin
Byron - Plekanec - Lehkonen
Hudon - De la Rose - Shaw
Sherbak
Deslauriers

Johnson - Weber
Alzner - Petry
Schlemko - Juulsen
Mete
Reilly

Price

Puts the nail in the coffin of any contending hope for the next 5 years.

Edit : Lmao I think theyre not even cap-compliant and it's an horrible line-up... Shaw, Weber, Price, Pacioretty (in that scenario), Alzner take way too much space for their overall contribution.

Last edited:

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
But Vegeta is the hard worker and puts to work the work to maximize his potential, whereas Goku is the unfair natural talent who gets better without trying all that hard. I could never picture Drouin being a parallel to Vegeta.
He parallels Vegeta in that someone else is always one step ahead of him. That's Marchessault. Marchessault got a call up first when they were in Tampa. Marchessault hit 30 goals first. Marchessault is already a 70+ point player.

Freiza's the natural talent who never trained. Once he did, boom, Golden Freiza.

Goku had to suffer grueling runs, excessive gravity, getting into fights while at a lower power level and tapidly scaling up that power level mid-fight, and even had to lose Krillin to hit Super Saiyan.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Love this line from the “What the Puck” writer-

“It all reminds me of a line someone used on Twitter about a year ago: If Marc Bergevin was actually working to destroy the Canadiens, what would he do differently?”
He wouldn't do anything differently, once he signs Pacioretty to a long term deal we are set for years of press conferences about better hot dogs and reading pro bergie posters taking shots at the guys we traded that went on to bigger and better things. Molson must be going to sell the team, there is no way they are dis delusional, they can't be can they?

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
He wouldn't do anything differently, once he signs Pacioretty to a long term deal we are set for years of press conferences about better hot dogs and reading pro bergie posters taking shots at the guys we traded that went on to bigger and better things. Molson must be going to sell the team, there is no way they are dis delusional, they can't be can they?
bergevin-940.jpg

Bergie: We gona fill this team wit Karakter and trade away de bad attitoods.

cut.jpg

Molzie: And don't forget our commitment to serve better hot-dogs to our peasant fans Marc.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
So Dubas , was asked what he looks for when he drafts prospects. He said that while certain attributes such as size and speed can be flavours of the month and so come and go, he sees the staples as being high skill and high intelligence, sense. Always go for high skill and high intelligence. He said not a word about CHaracter, grit, Attitoode or intangibles.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
So Dubas , was asked what he looks for when he drafts prospects. He said that while certain attributes such as size and speed can be flavours of the month and so come and go, he sees the staples as being high skill and high intelligence, sense. Always go for high skill and high intelligence. He said not a word about CHaracter, grit, Attitoode or intangibles.
Of course not, the game has changed, and he has a pulse on that...does that mean he will be a good GM? Time will tell.

MB dos not have a pulse on today;s game or players...

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Of course not, the game has changed, and he has a pulse on that...does that mean he will be a good GM? Time will tell.

MB dos not have a pulse on today;s game or players...
Actually, it didn't change. Some guy named Wayne was the cream of the crop of forwards playing in the NHL. There was Mario too. And even Lanny MacDonald

The dip in scoring from dead puck hockey was an aberration, not the norm. And even Devils had HoF talents.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I hope that the Habs have an awful start to the season, unlike 2016 when they won the October Stanley Cup.

I want them to start off with 2 wins in 20 games or something, so that Bergevin can be fired and the team can move on. A new GM can come in and organize a fire sale.

My instinct is that each of Price, Weber, Perry, Gallagher, Drouin, Byron, Shaw, and whoever else 25 or older and has value should be traded to the highest bidder. There's one caveat though: The next generation that the next GM builds around (Poehling, Lehkonen, Mete, Juulsen, Scherbak, etc) will need some veteran surroundings and support. If the kids are left to themselves, they might not develop ever, that seems to happen throughout the NHL. Given that, should some of the veterans be kept? It would be similar to how Hamrlik and Gill likely helped Subban back in the day.

@Talks to Goalposts , @montreal , @Lafleurs Guy , what do you think?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I hope that the Habs have an awful start to the season, unlike 2016 when they won the October Stanley Cup.

I want them to start off with 2 wins in 20 games or something, so that Bergevin can be fired and the team can move on. A new GM can come in and organize a fire sale.

My instinct is that each of Price, Weber, Perry, Gallagher, Drouin, Byron, Shaw, and whoever else 25 or older and has value should be traded to the highest bidder. There's one caveat though: The next generation that the next GM builds around (Poehling, Lehkonen, Mete, Juulsen, Scherbak, etc) will need some veteran surroundings and support. If the kids are left to themselves, they might not develop ever, that seems to happen throughout the NHL. Given that, should some of the veterans be kept? It would be similar to how Hamrlik and Gill likely helped Subban back in the day.

No doubt. I want this team to massively flop. Even without Bergevin, I want them to tank.
What I stress about is if Bergevin tanks but Molson comes back with "that was the plan for this year" so Bergey stays on yet again.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

I am not hopeful for the future of this club even if Bergevin is fired as long as Molson is the owner. I suppose the team could luck out if they chose someone competent like Julien Brisebois but Molson has proven that he is not a hockey guy. He turned to Savard for help who had been out of hockey for over a decade and that was surely a huge mistake. Who does he turn to for help this time? Molson doesn't care about winning a Cup either. You see it in some owner's eyes they are so proud when they win as if they were the sixth man on the ice like Ted Leonsis in Washington. Molson just cares about status quo, fan experience and hotdogs.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
No doubt. I want this team to massively flop. Even without Bergevin, I want them to tank.
What I stress about is if Bergevin tanks but Molson comes back with "that was the plan for this year" so Bergey stays on yet again.

Nice plan if we sign Bozak and Johnson long term

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I have major doubts Molson will fire MB, maybe if they are really, really bad. I hope he's gone but I think Molson is a cheap ass owner that doesn't want to pay 2 GM's and then what does he tell his new GM he has to keep Julien? I got to think a new GM will want to input his coach at least by the off-season. So that would be 2 GM's, and 3 coaches or 2 if it's done in the 0ff-season when MT's contract is up. Guess we'll see.

I would trade everyone on your list and Drouin as well over the next 1/2/3 years. Whoever you think is at peak value, like Petry who's value imo won't be higher then it is now. Maybe Gallagher although you might be able to hold off a year. Drouin maybe in a year or two depending on how much better he does. If he really turns it around then perhaps you keep him but I was so disappointed in his play that he's going to need to be much better before I would consider keeping him.

I agree 100% that the next wave needs vets. What I would do once I had traded a few vets, is then take on bad contracts of vets for 1st/2nd round picks. Seabrook, Luic, Loui Eriksson, those kinds of deals. We won't need the cap space, we can buy them out down the road if we do, and as long as we got high draft picks for them I think it would work out. If you need more vets, you could try to get creative, as an example not so much what I'm saying we should do now but take John Carlson as an example. Offer him a short term deal at a very high cap hit and tell him you plan on trading him at the deadline. Retain on his contract and you might get something of high value.

The point is use your financial assets, by taking on bad contracts and trying to get creative in bringing in high profile UFA's to trade. Granted they might not go for it, but if they are young enough, they might be tempted to get paid 13/14/15M for a year knowing that as long as they don't get injured they can get paid the following year on a long term deal. I know this is highly unlikely to happen, just that I hope whoever is the next GM can be very creative.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I have major doubts Molson will fire MB, maybe if they are really, really bad. I hope he's gone but I think Molson is a cheap ass owner that doesn't want to pay 2 GM's and then what does he tell his new GM he has to keep Julien? I got to think a new GM will want to input his coach at least by the off-season. So that would be 2 GM's, and 3 coaches or 2 if it's done in the 0ff-season when MT's contract is up. Guess we'll see.

I would trade everyone on your list and Drouin as well over the next 1/2/3 years. Whoever you think is at peak value, like Petry who's value imo won't be higher then it is now. Maybe Gallagher although you might be able to hold off a year. Drouin maybe in a year or two depending on how much better he does. If he really turns it around then perhaps you keep him but I was so disappointed in his play that he's going to need to be much better before I would consider keeping him.

I agree 100% that the next wave needs vets. What I would do once I had traded a few vets, is then take on bad contracts of vets for 1st/2nd round picks. Seabrook, Luic, Loui Eriksson, those kinds of deals. We won't need the cap space, we can buy them out down the road if we do, and as long as we got high draft picks for them I think it would work out. If you need more vets, you could try to get creative, as an example not so much what I'm saying we should do now but take John Carlson as an example. Offer him a short term deal at a very high cap hit and tell him you plan on trading him at the deadline. Retain on his contract and you might get something of high value.

The point is use your financial assets, by taking on bad contracts and trying to get creative in bringing in high profile UFA's to trade. Granted they might not go for it, but if they are young enough, they might be tempted to get paid 13/14/15M for a year knowing that as long as they don't get injured they can get paid the following year on a long term deal. I know this is highly unlikely to happen, just that I hope whoever is the next GM can be very creative.

@montreal for GM.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

I only see Bergevin getting fired once the media turns on him. Even if we suck, if most of the media is still making excuses for him or scape goating some random player then it doesn't matter if we lose. What will it take for Bergevin to lose the media is anyone's guess.

As for selling everyone, I don't think that's a good idea, like you said you need some vets around to shelter the young guys so they develop best, but at the same time people always underestimate how quickly you can turn around an average team by adding an elite player. Adding that player is often enough to push players who are in over their head into roles that suit them. So guys who look like crap suddenly are valuable.

That said we absolutely should sell several of the current vets. Pacioretty and Byron should be no brainers to do at the draft. I would probably keep one of Weber/Petry and sell the other.

Price and Gallagher I'd keep. Price because you'll never get appropriate value and Gallagher as the leader. Drouin it depends on the offer, I don't expect him to have much value right now, so I'd rather probably keep him around and try to build him up so that in a few years we could get something good for him.

Reactions: DAChampion

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The Big Reveal is upon us. The next 72 hours should give us a clearer idea of what Bergevin's "secret" plan is.

There's something anti-climatic about it.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

But does he focus on how many video games they play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad