Not open for further replies.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
It may in fact be that Bergevin is MINO (Manager-in-name-only), and that a new GM will come in with a fresh slate once the harder parts of the rebuild are completed. But the Leafs did that properly. They traded away Kessel and Phaneuf. Let me know when the Habs trade Price, Weber, and Pacioretty.

It is the case that coming in right now would suck for a new GM. The Habs will not be winning anything for several years, and the division is getting stronger. This may be much harder on the next GM than it was on Andre Savard.

But if they can clear Price, Weber, and Pacioretty, possibly Shaw and Alzner as well, and have one more tanking season, then it's not all bad for the next GM. However, it will still be very hard, as it will be very hard to transition the team to being good.

When asked if Molson had to sign off on the Galchenyuk trade, Bergevin said: “I have total (authority) to make hockey decisions. But he’s aware of what’s going on before. That’s how I operate. But I have full authority to make hockey decisions.”

Stu Cowan: Canadiens' problems are now on Geoff Molson

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
When asked if Molson had to sign off on the Galchenyuk trade, Bergevin said: “I have total (authority) to make hockey decisions. But he’s aware of what’s going on before. That’s how I operate. But I have full authority to make hockey decisions.”

Of course that's what makes it to the public record.

Remember what Gainey said a few weeks prior to firing Carbo?

He said that hiring Carbo was his best move as GM.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Might still have a couple of ball washers at TSN690 but their numbers are clearly dwindling. Also, we can't totally discard the traditional media cowards on both sides of the linguistic spectrum, who will sell their souls to MB not to lose their sandwich privileges at the BC.
Berkshire is still an acolyte of Bergevin's it would appear.

Reactions: Runner77

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
bum-this-old-picture-of-marc-bergevin-is-very-telling-30944591.png
That interview is on YouTube.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

Bergevin is Kefka of Final Fantasy VI or Zamasu of Dragonball Super. A successful villain who manages to destroy and then rule their world and heroes have to take them out. Except, Molson is no hero. He is penny pinching bean counter who can't expel the man who has made the Habs a disgrace. A disgrace to hockey in general and especially their legacy.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Bergevin is Kefka of Final Fantasy VI or Zamasu of Dragonball Super. A successful villain who manages to destroy and then rule their world and heroes have to take them out. Except, Molson is no hero. He is penny pinching bean counter who can't expel the man who has made the Habs a disgrace. A disgrace to hockey in general and especially their legacy.

Bergevin isn't nearly competent enough to be Kefka, he's more a Kuja or Seymour or some other second rate villain.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Bergevin isn't nearly competent enough to be Kefka, he's more a Kuja or Seymour or some other second rate villain.
In terms actual results, he is. Nuked the world. Takes out those who oppose him, like that one city in which he launches his "Light of Judgment", Tzen. He rules the world with an iron fist, and even has a cult of at least 1 on this board. Belial is basically "Magimaster".

Bergevin's Light of Judgment of Karakter has hit Subban, Eller, Markov, Radulov, and Galchenyuk.

And don't underestimate him. He negotiated an unusually long contract for himself. One in which Molson doesnt want to lose money by firing him too soon.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
This draft and free agent off season is not going to be pretty. Likely going to be Bergs swansong.

How much damage will he do...

Have to admit, it's quite compelling to watch in a gruesome kind of way...sort of like watching a massive train wreck happen in real time.

Reactions: Lshap

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
All of this will lead to a MB book.
How to destroy a team 101 : Character and Attitude above Skill Edition .

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

Bergevin really is a caricature of an evil villain. I would enjoy watching this massive train wreck if it wasn't for us fans being on the train! :laugh:

Bergevin is definitely no Sepiroth or Vegeta I'll give you that. :sarcasm:

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Bergevin really is a caricature of an evil villain. I would enjoy watching this massive train wreck if it wasn't for us fans being on the train! :laugh:

Bergevin is definitely no Sepiroth or Vegeta I'll give you that. :sarcasm:
Eller owned Bergevin like Android 18 owned Vegeta though.

Bergevin likes Vegeta types, but hates Goku types. Vegeta has ego, is bombastic as hell, has some skill. But Goku simply is better and GETS....SHIT...DONE. It is scary how Drouin and Marchessault parallel Vegeta and Goku.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Bergevin is getting critiqued on Hockey Central at Noon right now.

They don’t seem to be overly critical about the trade, but they are critical about how MB handled the trade itself.

Reactions: DAChampion

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
Bergevin is getting critiqued on Hockey Central at Noon right now.

They don’t seem to be overly critical about the trade, but they are critical about how MB handled the trade itself.
Well it's clear that the 1 for 1 value wasn't there and Galchenyuk should have obtained at least a pick along with Domi. Arizona definitely took advantage of Bergevin's hard-on for a character/gritty player like Domi.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Well it's clear that the 1 for 1 value wasn't there and Galchenyuk should have obtained at least a pick along with Domi. Arizona definitely took advantage of Bergevin's hard-on for a character/gritty player like Domi.

As is the case with many of Bergevin's non Subban trades, it isn't a huge loss, but he trades a slightly better player for someone who is worse and grittier.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

One of the hosts, I believe Damien Cox commented how the underlying numbers don’t really favour the trade in that regard. Montreal definitely gave up more is basically what he said, which supports what you and many others have said.

I’m paraphrasing here, but they did say that maybe the trade is for the best for both players, but asset management and communication were sorely lacking on Montreal’s side.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
As is the case with many of Bergevin's non Subban trades, it isn't a huge loss, but he trades a slightly better player for someone who is worse and grittier.
More like they "seem grittier". But Eller and Subban showed up when it counts. They're mentally gritty and physically gritty. They don't sledgehammer all the time, but puck battles are always about sledgehammering people.

Grit is such a vague word. It means different things for different people. These people haven't even thought out what it really means.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
More like they "seem grittier". But Eller and Subban showed up when it counts. They're mentally gritty and physically gritty. They don't sledgehammer all the time, but puck battles are always about sledgehammering people.

Grit is such a vague word. It means different things for different people. These people haven't even thought out what it really means.

Definition: Grit (adjective) - a quality attributed to MOR hockey players who tend to block shots, frequently bleed on the ice, and wail and cry after losing. Typically, they speak in clichés and toe the Company line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->