Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
man-with-a-plan.jpg

Last edited:

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Your image inspired an update. I hope you don't mind ...

28o1pp.jpg
If we are going with a TV show, in honour of how Bergy lets himself go when things get tough:

image.jpg

THE ARROGANTEST HOBO

There's a voice, keeps on calling me
In the bin, that's where I'll always be
Every trade I make, it's for the 4th line
Can't stay for long, more character I've gotta find.
Maybe tomorrow, I'll find someone who'll score
But till tomorrow, shot blockers I'll need more
So if you want to sign here for awhile
If you don't mind. you've gotta grind, that's Bergy style
Maybe tomorrow, I'll find someone with skill
I'm only kidding, the thought it makes me ill
Until tomorrow, we'll just drink Molson swill

"If you wan't loyalty, get a dog. Especially one who can solve crimes."
little-hobo.gif

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Do we know who are the other guests?
They could ask him the hard questions.

They taped the show today. Chantal Machabée is the only sports guest I see from the list, she's on the show to promo her book. It would all depend on when Bergevin is brought in -- if he's the first guest, he'll likely leave right after he's done:

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
They taped the show today. Chantal Machabée is the only sports guest I see from the list, she's on the show to promo her book. It would all depend on when Bergevin is brought in -- if he's the first guest, he'll likely leave right after he's done:

You dont think he'll stay for a glass of wine?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
PK Subban would still be here. That's for sure.
Doubtful...

the issues with PK Subban and this organization go much further than Michel Therrien & Sylvain Lefebvre (there's no connection with the latter at all).

Only way PK Subban were still here, were if Molson stepped down as owner of this team and sold it to someone who didn't mind Subban's star shining just as bright as the Montreal Canadiens.

Furthermore - the fundamental issues with this team/organization go MUCH further than just the presence of PK Subban.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Doubtful...

the issues with PK Subban and this organization go much further than Michel Therrien & Sylvain Lefebvre (there's no connection with the latter at all).

Only way PK Subban were still here, were if Molson stepped down as owner of this team and sold it to someone who didn't mind Subban's star shining just as bright as the Montreal Canadiens.

Furthermore - the fundamental issues with this team/organization go MUCH further than just the presence of PK Subban.
Right...

Feel free to continue defending terrible coaches and making posts about Jared Tinordi. I'm not wasting my time with this.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Right...

Feel free to continue defending terrible coaches and making posts about Jared Tinordi. I'm not wasting my time with this.
I never did this, I have not made A SINGLE STATEMENT THAT DEFENDS ANY COACH, in fact, I just literally threw the entire organization under the bus because of how they dealt with PK Subban...

But sure, continue to make up false narratives because you don't like hearing/reading anything beyond what you want to hear/read.

I mean, what the hell does Sylvain Lefebvre have to do with PK Subban? lol

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah he just said the coaching wasn't relevant (how is lefebvre relevant?).
Just want to clarify...I said the reasons why Subban was traded went beyond just his relationship with Therrien (Lefebvre, like we both said, is irrelevant to Subban).

As awful as Therrien handled Subban, there was more than just that, that led to the trade.

Somehow, he read that to mean I was defending coaching.

How come people here always ignore what others say? You guys all see what you want to see.

great questions - don't expect answers.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Just want to clarify...I said the reasons why Subban was traded went beyond just his relationship with Therrien (Lefebvre, like we both said, is irrelevant to Subban).

As awful as Therrien handled Subban, there was more than just that, that led to the trade.

Somehow, he read that to mean I was defending coaching.

great questions - don't expect answers.

I think a lot of what was assumed to be issues regarding Subban could have been controlled or not come to be at all had he had a coaching staff that knew how to handle that kind of personality.

I always took issue with how the organization wanted to "tame" Subban when he's really the type of guy you should be leaching off his energy. I drew parallels to Ovechkin and his younger days in Washington in the past. Eventually they grow out of it and lead in their own way. In Montréal, it's as if the organization always took the disapproving father figure role and Subban was in a "prove them wrong" or straight up "f*** them, I know I'm right" mindset. It was just a very unhealthy relationship from the beginning, and so I think it's only natural to let Therrien get the blame for most of what unfolded with Subban. He didn't know how to handle him.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
He outlasted Therrien...

Just think about how much further we'd be ahead if we hadn't hired either one of them.
It's nice to fantasize but the reality is that we'd have simply hired someone else who thinks along the exact same lines as Bergevin. We have had defense-first coaching and character-over-skill general managing of one degree or another for the past 25 years. The names have changed but the underlying philosophy has not.

Reactions: Runner77 and 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think a lot of what was assumed to be issues regarding Subban could have been controlled or not come to be at all had he had a coaching staff that knew how to handle that kind of personality.

I always took issue with how the organization wanted to "tame" Subban when he's really the type of guy you should be leaching off his energy. I drew parallels to Ovechkin and his younger days in Washington in the past. Eventually they grow out of it and lead in their own way. In Montréal, it's as if the organization always took the disapproving father figure role and Subban was in a "prove them wrong" or straight up "**** them, I know I'm right" mindset.
You could trace back posts of mine to Subban's 2nd year that talk about how the organization is falling into false perceptions about Subban, so i'm in complete agreement with your post here.

But I do think things went beyond his relationship with the coach at a certain point, so I don't a different coach would of been able to prevent the eventual trade.

It was just a very unhealthy relationship from the beginning, and so I think it's only natural to let Therrien get the blame for most of what unfolded with Subban. He didn't know how to handle him.
Despite what LG said, i'm not absolving Therrien of any blame for what unfolded with Subban - I simply suggested there are far more individuals responsible for it as well. He's one of many.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
You could trace back posts of mine to Subban's 2nd year that talk about how the organization is falling into false perceptions about Subban, so i'm in complete agreement with your post here.

But I do think things went beyond his relationship with the coach at a certain point, so I don't a different coach would of been able to prevent the eventual trade.

Despite what LG said, i'm not absolving Therrien of any blame for what unfolded with Subban - I simply suggested there are far more individuals responsible for it as well. He's one of many.

I agree, but I think it was allowed to bubble to that point in large part due to Therrien.

Although, to be fair, the whole shoving down a laughably underpaid bridge contract down Subban's throat was a 100% on Bergevin and probably wasn't the best footing to start a relationship.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's nice to fantasize but the reality is that we'd have simply hired someone else who thinks along the exact same lines as Bergevin. We have had defense-first coaching and character-over-skill general managing of one degree or another for the past 25 years. The names have changed but the underlying philosophy has not.
Pretty much...they would of just hired another coach capable of suffocating Subban's personality which was just too much for this ultra-conservative franchise to deal with.

At the time, probably some panelist from 110% who spent every other episode analyzing Subban's every move.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I agree, but I think it was allowed to bubble to that point in large part due to Therrien.

Although, to be fair, the whole shoving down a laughably underpaid bridge contract down Subban's throat was a 100% on Bergevin and probably wasn't the best footing to start a relationship.
There was talk about 'taming' PK Subban even before Bergevin/Therrien came on board...you can trace it back to Jacques Martin/ Randy Cunneyworth's/Pierre Gauthier's last year or 2 with the Habs.

Bergevin/Therrien just finished the job those guys had started to do.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

It's funny though because Subban seemed to do great with Boucher in the AHL and he's as defensive and strict as they get. The fact Boucher had won with our then young core is in large part why I would've liked him to be given a shot when he was available.

There was talk about 'taming' PK Subban even before Bergevin/Therrien came on board...you can trace it back to Jacques Martin/ Randy Cunneyworth's/Pierre Gauthier's last year or 2 with the Habs.

Martin was a lot more mellow with PK though... I don't recall him publicly throwing PK under the bus. He trusted him to kill penalties and gave him a ton of responsibilities early on his career, and Subban did great when the coaching staff put their trust in him.

Therrien came around, and his whole philosophy of "easing him in" on the third pair with Bouillon, not having him out there when he statistically was one of the top PKer in the league... It was just odd. Therrien didn't seem like a fan of his if you go back to his talkshow days either.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's funny though because Subban seemed to do great with Boucher in the AHL and he's as defensive and strict as they get. The fact Boucher had won with our then young core is in large part why I would've liked him to be given a shot when he was available.
I might be remembering wrong - but I recall some friction with Subban & Boucher his only year in Hamilton

Martin was a lot more mellow with PK though... I don't recall him publicly throwing PK under the bus. He trusted him to kill penalties and gave him a ton of responsibilities early on his career, and Subban did great when the coaching staff put their trust in him.
No public shaming, that wasn't Martin's style...but there was also some friction, whether real or just perceived.

Remember when Martin made Subban a health scratch for a few games? There's always been a stench around the coach & Subban while he played here (relax folks, not saying it was Subban's fault).

Therrien came around, and his whole philosophy of "easing him in" on the third pair with Bouillon, not having him out there when he statistically was one of the top PKer in the league... It was just odd. Therrien didn't seem like a fan of his if you go back to his talkshow days either.
Like I said, I thought Therrien was just picking off where his predecessors left off.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Again I go back to my IBM/Apple comparison:

The Habs are IBM. White, right and polite. Gray flannel suits. Black Oxford shoes. Buttoned-down collars. Subban is a dark-skinned, free-thinking, improvisational Steve Jobs type of character. Now the bosses are going to try and make him work in a cubicle for 8 hours a day.

That isn't a recipe for success on a pro hockey team. It's the plot outline for a bad workplace sitcom.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Again I go back to my IBM/Apple comparison:

The Habs are IBM. White, right and polite. Gray flannel suits. Black Oxford shoes. Buttoned-down collars. Subban is a dark-skinned, free-thinking, improvisational Steve Jobs type of character. Now the bosses are going to try and make him work in a cubicle for 8 hours a day.

That isn't a recipe for success on a pro hockey team. It's the plot outline for a bad workplace sitcom.
And they went out and traded him for the poster boy of what you just described

Reactions: Pickles
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->