Marc Bergevin Press Conference - 3pm [TSN 690,...]

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
internally I’m sure their goal is to win the SC in due time, it’s everyone’s goal, you just have to be careful what you tell your public, but of course we can twist anyone’s words to fit ones agenda.
Actually, I think you're dead wrong. Internally, their goal is to make more money than last year. That's their primary goal. Winning the cup is simply collateral damage - so to speak.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not even sure the NHL will reach the cup. They expect the POs to run through fall, which is apparently when we're expecting a second wave of the virus. Let's see how this goes. Habs should be out by then anyways.

Canada's economy apparently can't withstand a second wave of the virus.. so I really don't think Trudeau will lift the restrictions to allow a Canadian hub city to host.

DarkSender

Apr 29, 2019
Laval
Actually, I think you're dead wrong. Internally, their goal is to make more money than last year. That's their primary goal. Winning the cup is simply collateral damage - so to speak.

I am literally fed up with these kinds of comments. Even if you think that Bergevin's team goal is to make more money than last year, then you do realize that their only way to make more money is to win more and get a better team right ?? In 2017, A SINGLE playoff game in the Bell Center generated an average of 2M$. Do you think that's not coming into the equation ? Making more money and lifting the Stanley Cup go hand in hand. They can't be separated.

Actually, there's a bigger risk of losing money going into the playoffs and paying full cap salary and losing in 4-5 games in the first round than going home after the season while keeping salary cap low. So if you're really trying to make money you'll either want your team to go deep into the playoff or go home after the season. That's not what Bergevin's is trying to do. He's trying to BARELY go into the playoffs while keeping his salary cap low. In the NHL today - with how competitive it is, there is very low chance of such tactic actually working.

At the end of the day the only way you can make more money than the year before is to actually win more games and generate more excitement. However, what I think Bergevin is trying to do right now is to generate AS MUCH money as last year while not doing better. He's not really trying to win. By forcing Julien into playing our prospects, he's trying to show off the future of the team so the fans continue to get interested, watch and talk about the team so he generates as much money - keeps his job - and continue working on the future.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I am literally fed up with these kinds of comments. Even if you think that Bergevin's team goal is to make more money than last year, then you do realize that their only way to make more money is to win more and get a better team right ?? In 2017, A SINGLE playoff game in the Bell Center generated an average of 2M$. Do you think that's not coming into the equation ? Making more money and lifting the Stanley Cup go hand in hand. They can't be separated.

Actually, there's a bigger risk of losing money going into the playoffs and paying full cap salary and losing in 4-5 games in the first round than going home after the season while keeping salary cap low. So if you're really trying to make money you'll either want your team to go deep into the playoff or go home after the season. That's not what Bergevin's is trying to do. He's trying to BARELY go into the playoffs while keeping his salary cap low. In the NHL today - with how competitive it is, there is very low chance of such tactic actually working.

At the end of the day the only way you can make more money than the year before is to actually win more games and generate more excitement. However, what I think Bergevin is trying to do right now is to generate AS MUCH money as last year while not doing better. He's not really trying to win. By forcing Julien into playing our prospects, he's trying to show off the future of the team so the fans continue to get interested, watch and talk about the team so he generates as much money - keeps his job - and continue working on the future.

Hey, buddy, don't shoot the messenger. I'm just telling you what MB is doing. I'm not telling you I agree with it.

Reactions: DarkSender

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
Not only are the Habs going to be in the newly aligned playoffs come fall, Bergevin himself is spending all summer developing the COVID-19 vaccine so that the second wave doesn’t interrupt our Mickey Mouse playoff run...

Expect the unexpected

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Canada's economy apparently can't withstand a second wave of the virus.. so I really don't think Trudeau will lift the restrictions to allow a Canadian hub city to host.

A second wave is coming regardless. It’s just a matter of when.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

What happens if u save 10m in cap space each year. Does that help cancel out the revenue lost from missed playoffs. What about holding onto a GM for 4 years after his expiration date? Does that save money? What indication has management shown that they give a shit about winning?

Do you think that if GM hadn’t prematurely extended MB for 5 years that MB would still be here. No f***ing chance.

DarkSender

Apr 29, 2019
Laval
What happens if u save 10m in cap space each year. Does that help cancel out the revenue lost from missed playoffs. What about holding onto a GM for 4 years after his expiration date? Does that save money? What indication has management shown that they give a shit about winning?

Do you think that if GM hadn’t prematurely extended MB for 5 years that MB would still be here. No f***ing chance.

Im not saying the Habs management wants to win. Im saying they are trying to hold unto their previous money winnings by giving the hope of getting into the playoffs (while knowing they need a miracle to get in) and showing off their youth prospects to keep fans interested. Im just stating that if they trully tried to make more money, they wouldn't try to spend less. They would rather invest more and not have a 7-8M in cap space (and be more competitive) for a deep playoff run.

Anyone can agree with me that if we had Radulov (for example) last season when we made 96 points we would have qualified for the playoffs. And this year would have been much different. If Bergevin wanted to win, he should have spent more. He didn't. He does not want to win.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

you really lack imagination, hope for your financial health you're not thinking of using your savings to quit your job and open up a business.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Im not saying the Habs management wants to win. Im saying they are trying to hold unto their previous money winnings by giving the hope of getting into the playoffs (while knowing they need a miracle to get in) and showing off their youth prospects

Anyone can agree with me that if we had Radulov (for example) last season when we made 96 points we would have qualified for the playoffs. And this year would have been much different. If Bergevin wanted to win, he should have spent more. He didn't. He does not want to win.
Remember when Bergevin let Markov go and replaced him with Alzner? We had an AHL caliber Defense that year but he told everyone we had improved our D that year when everyone in the world except him new it was a mess. Then he signs Price to a $84 million extension while leaving him hangout to dry. It was a face saving move that showed no direction at all. Tie up 84m on a goalie while decimating the team around him. I think in any other org MB would have been let go years ago. Here, he will likely get another extension.

GM is content as long as the gravy train continues. He’s got no vision, no plan to create a contender. MB is just incompetent. He doesn’t know how to build a winner even if he wanted to. We’re one of the richest franchises in the league, but we aren’t even a cap spending team. They’ve turned this team into a joke. We need new ownership just as much as a replacement for Bergevin.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
It would be so epic if Bergevin got fired for losing in the playoffs that we shouldn’t have been in in the first place. That would be the most Montreal Canadiens thing ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->