Marc Bergevin: Offseason Summertime Love Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
They might say it internally but if they miss again there will be a massive blowback and hopefully it falls on Bergey.
I have a difficult time believing he can dodge yet another bullet..

I think the breaking point is when the noise comes from within the room. They've shown time and time again they don't give a flying shit about what the fans think. But if Price decides it's enough, it'll be enough.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think the breaking point is when the noise comes from within the room. They've shown time and time again they don't give a flying **** about what the fans think. But if Price decides it's enough, it'll be enough.
He started voicing it this year, hopefully it gets louder next season.
That said, if we miss the PO we would tie our worst stretch of 5 years ever in history. I don't know how Bergey would get a pass.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I think there's hope if the situation actually gets bad enough that guys like Price, Weber and Gallagher go talk to Molson face-to-face and tell him they won't take more of this bull****. If they threaten to leave or just say "do something to improve the situation or trade us", don't worry, Bergevin will leave. In the end, guys like Price and Weber bring more money to Molson than Bergevin.

That's why I hope we get slaughtered, and badly, in the first 10 games.

Yup. That's how bad this situation got.

It's arguably the best thing for us to do. If you can't get a young player like Aho or Laine to join the team, and it's likely that he cannot, the best thing to do is choose. We have two elite players who are 11-15 years older than our next elite players. Adding the fact that this draft is basically lottery proof, the choice starts to get pretty clear.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I guess now it's officially doldrums of the summer. In a way it's good... mental rest from everything that sucks about the Habs. On the other hand - booooring. Do another OS, MB! OS Marner!

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
He started voicing it this year, hopefully it gets louder next season.
That said, if we miss the PO we would tie our worst stretch of 5 years ever in history. I don't know how Bergey would get a pass.

George Gillette != Geoff Molson.

One cared deeply about the on-ice stuff, being a huge fan of the game itself. The other is just a complete idiot who just displays the same stupid smile in front of the cameras and pumps his idiot's tires.

I've said it. If you want a look at the real problem, go on Twitter and read most people. They're genuinely HAPPY with the crap they're being served.

And we're not even talking about a charismatic or a particularly clever GM... FFS the guy STILL has trouble speaking proper English after all those years and is equally as bad in his own language. He probably has an IQ that flirts with the "handicap" treshold.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They might say it internally but if they miss again there will be a massive blowback and hopefully it falls on Bergey.

And yet he keeps on ticking. Tough to say with an overseer like Geoff who said a lot of the stuff fans wanted to hear during the disastrous 2017-18 season but somehow still managed to safeguard MB’s job.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It does nothing for Armia and Lehkonen. Completely unrelated. Labanc clearly took a hit for his GM. And while everybody praise him for being a team player, he's incredibly stupid if you ask me. If he injures seriously this season he's never going to see that money.
I'm sure it came with a promise from Wilson that he'd be well compensated next year regardless of how he performs this year.

NHLPA can't be thrilled with that deal to be honest.

Reactions: Andy and Licentia

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I'm sure it came with a promise from Wilson that he'd be well compensated next year regardless of how he performs this year.

NHLPA can't be thrilled with that deal to be honest.

What about if he has a career-threatening injury? I know odds are slim and I sure don't wish him that, but it's still a possibility. He'd regret the 20 or so millions he could have gotten if he got a fair contract.

Reactions: Licentia

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
If we miss the playoffs again this year, does he finally get fired?
I think so. 3/4 years of no playoffs after not committing to a rebuild with an aging Price and Weber. You’d have to salvage it somehow at this point.

Unfortunately the time to do it was when Yzerman was still in Tampa so we could have acquired BriseBois.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
And yet he keeps on ticking. Tough to say with an overseer like Geoff who said a lot of the stuff fans wanted to hear during the disastrous 2017-18 season but somehow still managed to safeguard MB’s job.
Yes...mystery to me how this guy wasnt fired about 4 years ago. All the worrying signs of a complete lack of structure, planning and vision were there already.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I don't think stating facts, as that poster did, is defending anyone...

He presented what place the Habs finished under Bergevin.

Those are facts. That's not a defense.

I don't know...I think this constant need to pit imaginary factions against each other by certain posters is what kills any attempt at having healthy debates here.

Virtually every stat posted on this board by every poster myself included is done to further their argument. You can use stats to defend or attack. In this case they were used to further the argument that Bergevin isn't the worst GM in the league, you can see that with his last sentence when he asked a rhetorical question.

The problem with labels is that they are all encompassing. So if you are a Bergevin Defender you must agree with everything Bergevin has done. If you are a Bergevin Hater you disagree with every move he's made. In reality 99% of people will probably like some things and hate others. So yes @teamfirst was defending Bergevin from what he felt was an unfair criticism, and no that doesn't make him a Bergevin Defender.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What about if he has a career-threatening injury? I know odds are slim and I sure don't wish him that, but it's still a possibility. He'd regret the 20 or so millions he could have gotten if he got a fair contract.
Oh agreed 100%...not a smart move from him IMO, hence why I gotta think the NHLPA isn't thrilled with that deal

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
George Gillette != Geoff Molson.

One cared deeply about the on-ice stuff, being a huge fan of the game itself. The other is just a complete idiot who just displays the same stupid smile in front of the cameras and pumps his idiot's tires.

I've said it. If you want a look at the real problem, go on Twitter and read most people. They're genuinely HAPPY with the crap they're being served.

And we're not even talking about a charismatic or a particularly clever GM... FFS the guy STILL has trouble speaking proper English after all those years and is equally as bad in his own language. He probably has an IQ that flirts with the "handicap" treshold.

The fans on reddit are the worst, they are such rubes. Like you said, they are so happy with the shit on a platter and they eat it up with a smile on their faces. Any negative opinions or even questions are downvoted to oblivion. It's all just memes about "mint" and "GMMB" (a nickname I have never seen elsewhere) and his biceps. The cognitive dissidence when "Shawzie" was traded was worthy of scientific observation.

I actually realize that those fans are likely in their teens/early 20s which was a time when I too would feverishly defend this team no matter what even if it meant deluding myself into pretending we had the best prospect pool ever and our team was just around the corner from contending.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The fans on reddit are the worst, they are such rubes. Like you said, they are so happy with the **** on a platter and they eat it up with a smile on their faces. Any negative opinions or even questions are downvoted to oblivion. It's all just memes about "mint" and "GMMB" (a nickname I have never seen elsewhere) and his biceps. The cognitive dissidence when "Shawzie" was traded was worthy of scientific observation.

I actually realize that those fans are likely in their teens/early 20s which was a time when I too would feverishly defend this team no matter what even if it meant deluding myself into pretending we had the best prospect pool ever and our team was just around the corner from contending.

That's what happen when you give a generation participation trophy so that nobody feels bad about losing....

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Virtually every stat posted on this board by every poster myself included is done to further their argument. You can use stats to defend or attack. In this case they were used to further the argument that Bergevin isn't the worst GM in the league, you can see that with his last sentence when he asked a rhetorical question.
And that's supposed to be an endorsement of him????

OK then

The problem with labels is that they are all encompassing. So if you are a Bergevin Defender you must agree with everything Bergevin has done. If you are a Bergevin Hater you disagree with every move he's made. In reality 99% of people will probably like some things and hate others. So yes @teamfirst was defending Bergevin from what he felt was an unfair criticism, and no that doesn't make him a Bergevin Defender.
Slams head against the wall repeatedly lol

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
If Molson sees progress with the kids, I don’t see why he would fire him in a rebuild that is progressing even if they miss the playoffs.

Of course, that won’t last forever.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
If Molson sees progress with the kids, I don’t see why he would fire him in a rebuild that is progressing even if they miss the playoffs.

Of course, that won’t last forever.

Missing the playoffs 4 times in 5 years would be an all-time low in over 100 years of existence. Rebuild or not, no way should any GM make it through that. Even Houle was fired before making it through 4 fails in 5 years.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
I'd like to see more offer sheets. However, it takes two parties to agree on an offer sheet, and Bergevin is going to be excessively cheap. So even if he is out and about, actively working to sign other RFA's, it's not likely to happen.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
At this point, I don't know what it would take...
I think it would take another catastrophe of some kind. Only way would be some kind of horrible start or drop off a cliff. Even then though it just seems like he has the job no matter what he does...

How many disasters have we seen with this GM? I don't know what the hell it takes to fire the guy.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Stéphane Richer said that maybe the offer sheet would hamper his chances of completing trades (which I don't agree with (Doug Wilson offer sheeting Hjalmarsson and still was able to make many trades since them).
The point that got me is that Richer said that his friend Bergy would need holidays.
When can an NHL Gm take time off... ?? like seriously, can they shut down their phone at any time. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad