Marc Bergevin: Offseason Summertime Love Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Right because when a player had a NMC THEY decide where they go and the team doesn’t really get a say. Ask winnipeg about why they traded Trouba for a bag of pucks.

Your mocking about trades being hard while
making your next to impossible trade proposals is childish. If Kessel doesn’t want to be traded, there’s nothing you can do. It’s
Not terribly difficult to figure that out without resorting to childish mocking. That trades not hard, it’s impossible.
Sorry no.

Every year I hear trades are hard and every year elite players get moved. Tons of teams are up against the cap and we've got space to play with. There are good players we should go after and probably won't. It will be more of the same with us going after the leftovers and more excuses.

The man has been given more than enough time. The time for excuses is over. I don't want to hear about how we can't go get elite players. Of course we can. We have assets to trade with and cap space flexibility. Don't give me the whole "but we can't..." it's old and tired.

The reality is we should've moved on from this GM long ago. He's living on borrowed time. And if we get another season with huge cap space and nothing to show for it he should be shot out of a cannon.

I won't hold him to getting a particular player. Karlsson for example was gone before we could get him... fine. But if we'd traded for him last year would he be here now? Probably yes. So other teams take risks that we don't. And if we're not going to be able to get Kessel... okay. But go for Hall. Go for a game changing elite player. If not Hall find someone else. Freaking Malkin might be available now. Don't tell me that we CAN'T do this. Because if you can't make these kinds of moves then you have no business being Montreal's GM.

I will not accept that "trades are hard." If it's hard, go find another job and bring in somebody who's up to it. We're the Montreal Canadiens. That used to mean something. It used to mean that we'd settle for nothing less than the best.

Now we're satisfied with excuses.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Sorry no.

Every year I hear trades are hard and every year elite players get moved. Tons of teams are up against the cap and we've got space to play with. There are good players we should go after and probably won't. It will be more of the same with us going after the leftovers and more excuses.

The man has been given more than enough time. The time for excuses is over. I don't want to hear about how we can't go get elite players. Of course we can. We have assets to trade with and cap space flexibility. Don't give me the whole "but we can't..." it's old and tired.

The reality is we should've moved on from this GM long ago. He's living on borrowed time. And if we get another season with huge cap space and nothing to show for it he should be shot out of a cannon.

I won't hold him to getting a particular player. Karlsson for example was gone before we could get him... fine. But if we'd traded for him last year would he be here now? Probably yes. So other teams take risks that we don't. And if we're not going to be able to get Kessel... okay. But go for Hall. Go for a game changing elite player. If not Hall find someone else. Freaking Malkin might be available now. Don't tell me that we CAN'T do this. Because if you can't make these kinds of moves then you have no business being Montreal's GM.

I will not accept that "trades are hard." If it's hard, go find another job and bring in somebody who's up to it. We're the Montreal Canadiens. That used to mean something. It used to mean that we'd settle for nothing less than the best.

“Trades are easy” yet your only trade proposals are pretty much impossible yet you whine about it and when a player like Duchene is available you give a big “hard pass.” These are the actions of a petulant child who’s not getting their way. Keep hoping for trades for players who aren’t available and being disappointed when they don’t happen while simultaneously turning your nose at players who may be available now and would be an upgrade for us. Cool.

Reactions: scrubadam

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Sorry no.

As if Ottawa ever would've traded Karlsson to us

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
“Trades are easy” yet your only trade proposals are pretty much impossible
Stop with the excuses.

Nobody is asking for the impossible. As I said, I won't hold him to a particular player. But I will hold him to getting an impact player. A REAL impact player. Not an overpriced 2nd line center with a superstar price tag.
As if Ottawa ever would've traded Karlsson to us
Maybe, maybe not. But it wasn't IMPOSSIBLE the way people claim. They are a tire fire of an org. We might've had to pony up more but it wasn't impossible by any stretch.

And again, I'm not holding him to any player. I won't blame him for not getting Karlsson... but I will hold him responsible for not improving this team over the years.

Reactions: Miller Time

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Sorry no.

He really has played the same cards, over and over...he is all about keeping the expectations low, very low...and then who knows what can happen!! lol

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Stop with the excuses.

Nobody is asking for the impossible. As I said, I won't hold him to a particular player. But I will hold him to getting an impact player. A REAL impact player. Not an overpriced 2nd line center with a superstar price tag.

How many of those “star” players actually move? How many teams make those trades?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He really has played the same cards, over and over...he is all about keeping the expectations low, very low...and then who knows what can happen!! lol
It's unbelievable. It's the same 'bargain bin' moves over and over... I don't get how people don't demand more from him. It's hilarious.

"But we CAN'T make trades"...

Reactions: bsl and Miller Time

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
How many of those “star” players actually move? How many teams make those trades?
NBA all the time. NHL almost never
He either gets duchene or the offence will be Identical to the one that finished last season
More Shaw and leks on the second line

I just hope to hell he doesn’t get gardiner. Hab fans would bury him worse than leaf fans did

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
NBA all the time. NHL almost never
He either gets duchene or the offence will be Identical to the one that finished last season
More Shaw and leks on the second line

I just hope to hell he doesn’t get gardiner. Hab fans would bury him worse than leaf fans did

That’s exactly right.

Even when a “star” does get traded, most times the have some version of a NMC and have a day where they go. And guess what, Montreal is not on the top of most players lists of destinations to go.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
My comments are more directed at the whole philosophy of Bergevin and his way of doing things.

Look at this summer so far.
Sign Weal, expected to be on the 4th line.
Sign Thompson, expected to be on the 4th line.
Sign Folin, expected to be 6-7 D
Sign Kulak, expected to be 4-5-6D....but more importantly he was RFA

I don't know….if it was me, i would want to go to free agency with as much cap space as possible., especially this year.
I would try to add top talents first and then worry about 4th liners and some magic beans, but Bergevin do it the other
way.

Here's a line-up before he sign Weal and Thompson :

Tatar - Danault- Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - Shaw
Byron - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Lehkonen - Peca - Deslauriers/Weise

Potential surprise out of camp : Poehling - Suzuki - Teasdale - Evans

Do you think investing 2,4M in Weal and Thompson to play on the 4th line was really necessary and had to be done BEFORE a bunch of great players becomes available and a bunch of teams will look to buy some cap space?
But the cap is only based on the 23-man roster. If Bergevin signed a legit D, then Folin gets sent to Laval and his cap hit doesn't count. If he signed two forwards and ended up waiving Weal and Thompson, there's a bit of an overage charge on Weal (about 300K) and Thompson could be fully buried. Money out of Molson's pocket but not the cap.

The biggest risks with these low signings are a) Bergevin is satified that Weal/Thompson/Folin etc. are good enough to round out the roster and perhaps b) Molson looks at millions of dollars playing in the AHL and puts Bergy on a budget. If the Habs waived all of the lower end forwards to the AHL, you'd have D'Lo, Peca, Weise and potentially Weal and Thompson soaking up about 6M in cash to play in the minors, on top of Alzner's 4.6M.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
- Sign Duchene
- Trade Byron and a pick or prospect for the Ghost

I can't imagine he'll trade Drouin. I don't think Panarin will even talk to MB. So, i think something like the above is the best scenario at this point. It's a tight fit under the Cap. If they need another mil, they'll have to trade Weise instead of demoting him.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Continue here.

Btw, food for thought: Domi, Dannault and Gallagher are all coming to the end of their deals in the next two seasons. They're all going to want to get paid.
I can think of two of those whom could be traded for good picks.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Continue here.

Btw, food for thought: Domi, Dannault and Gallagher are all coming to the end of their deals in the next two seasons. They're all going to want to get paid.
Good first serve. You did that intentionally.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
When Charles Hudon receives a qualification offer....you know that stability is key...lol

There is absolutely no reason to have done this. None whatsoever. It doesn't make any sense for both parties.
Not serious. Serious? This summer is starting to look. Interesting.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Could the Habs trade Habs 15th OV 2019 & Mike Reilly(LHD)28yrs. for Anaheim's Cam Fowler(LHD)27yrs. & take on Corey Perry's(RW)34 yrs. contract + 1st 2019 29th OV. Ducks in rebuild looking at buyout of Perry's contract, the Habs PP could get a real boost from a healthy Perry whom missed 50 games last season posting 6 goals & 4 assists in 31 games. Having Gallagher, A.Shaw, P.Byron & J.Armia as their RW's adding Perry in limited icetime being fresh for a long playoff run very enticing IMHO!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:Fowler as a 1st pairing LHD for Weber a natural fit, giving the Habs solid depth throughout their defence and veteran leadership with playoff experience. SCC's the only goal for the Habs & fans. Adding size & talent for a serious run at the 25th Habs SCC, + UFA Matt Duchene(C) for PP, PK, faceoffs with speed & playmaking.(Poehling may make this signing unnecessary though).

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
If the Habs sign Duchene for 7 years I don't believe they learned much from the Scott Gomez experience.
They’ve been mis managed to the point that they have no choice but to repeat past mistakes.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I'd go for Hall. Try to do what the Sharks did with Karlsson. Trade for him and then try to keep him. Kessel's another guy who we might be able to get, though he has the opportunity to deny the trade.

With the cap being lower than expected there will be other opportunities out there as well.
Dumpster diving. This is what it has come to. And no. Habs have no chance at Hall.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
That’s exactly right.

Even when a “star” does get traded, most times the have some version of a NMC and have a day where they go. And guess what, Montreal is not on the top of most players lists of destinations to go.
:biglaugh:
I swear Habs fans are the biggest BS excusers out there.
Going on year 8 and still fans cry over how tough trades are lol

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Sorry no.

Good post LG. Reality slap.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Sorry no.

Apposite. The f***ing flyers just got Kevin Hayes. A player that I think would have been fantastic for Habs the next 5 years. Big. Fast. Talented. Tough. Size. A C man to fit at no 1 until Kk is ready in 2 years. Moves domi to wing on his line. Moves to 2 c while Habs contend

Hayes scoring rate with rags last year was very very good.

What the f*** Bergevin. This really pisses me off. I called for mb to overpay the guy by a million 2 months ago. His family is in New York. Not that far.

Nothing. f***ing zero results from mb. Again. f*** all. Hayes might have been A smarter choice than duchene long term.

Look at the center lineup flyers are developing. Look at the f***ing d lineup rags are developing. They are acting.

Meanwhile mb fails. Again.

Did mb even try for this guy? Like his wife prefers to live in f***ing horrible Philadelphia than Montreal? Really?

I’m getting so sick of this shit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs178

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
The fatness will catch up. Zero interest in kessel.

When will the fatness catch up? I’ve been hearing this for years but fatso still keeps on posting elite numbers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad