Marc Bergevin: Offseason Summertime Love Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Who do you mean? I think Bergevin was willing to overpay Stamkos and Tavares quite drastically past few years - I can only imagine Karlsson too.
I don't think the reasons we haven't landed a top free agent is because we aren't offering enough.

I suppose if your comment is about Radulov that's fine. I still don't blame Bergevin too much on that one

Man im sorry but if Bergevin did not offer a mountain of gold if he had the chance for franchise UFA then hes an idiot
Any GM with the money should f***ing make an offer.

This is common sense.

Reactions: Pickles

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I'm not sure how to take that comment. He certainly at times acts cocky and sure of himself in press conferences.

Are you saying Bergevin wouldn't have paid top $$ to those players? Not sure I follow if not.
I am saying that I doubt that any top free agents rep would even take his call. He is not a big player in the NHL is what I am saying.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
LeBrun on TSN690 was asked by Melnick if he hears anything concerning Montreal. LeBrun says that hearing from other teams, the question Bergevin is asking relates to strengthening the left side of the defense, saying that it sounds like it's MB's priority.

He also mentions that with the cap not going as high as initially projected, that teams are tighter against the cap than they thought they'd be and Montreal may be able to squeeze a few of those teams because they're in a good spot with the cap.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
VrAU0tw.gif
Season 8, Episode 1.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So pay less for less. Sounds like a great way to win!
Except that it’s not. Domi our current first line center outproduced him at millions of dollars less.

Are we going to pay 9 mil for a 2nd line center? Because that’s what he’ll be here.

As for having ten mil in cap space in perpetuity, you can thank our GM and his ‘trades are hard’ schtick for that.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Except that it’s not. Domi our current first line center outproduced him at millions of dollars less.

Are we going to pay 9 mil for a 2nd line center? Because that’s what he’ll be here.

As for having ten mil in cap space in perpetuity, you can thank our GM and his ‘trades are hard’ schtick for that.

And Domi was full value last year. That doesn’t mean we can’t use Duchene on this team next year and we wouldn’t be a better team because of it. Duchene wouldn’t be commanding the money he is if he was a scrub player. There’s a reason he’s one of the top players available. We’re simply not good enough to ignore a player of Duchene caliber. He makes our team better and allows us to move out lower quality players to address other concerns and upgrade our entire lineup. Having just Domi to carry the team is setting up for a huge let down eventually. Help him and add more quality players and everyone’s better for it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
And Domi was full value last year. That doesn’t mean we can’t use Duchene on this team next year and we wouldn’t be a better team because of it. Duchene wouldn’t be commanding the money he is if he was a scrub player. There’s a reason he’s one of the top players available. We’re simply not good enough to ignore a player of Duchene caliber. He makes our team better and allows us to move out lower quality players to address other concerns and upgrade our entire lineup. Having just Domi to carry the team is setting up for a huge let down eventually. Help him and add more quality players and everyone’s better for it.
Hard pass.

Reactions: bsl

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That's not how it works though. We have cap space - what we're missing is talent. You can always trade bad contracts away in a few years if need be. Need top end talent to win.

It's time to take a risk in free agency with a top player. Tavares would have been nice - Karlsson even better. I'm willing to go for Duchene.
Duchene isn't top end talent. If he was it'd be a different story. He's a 60 point player looking to be paid like an elite. He isn't. We already have at least one guy at the position who can outproduce him at half the cost.

Karlsson? Hell yes. Duchene? No.

LeBrun on TSN690 was asked by Melnick if he hears anything concerning Montreal. LeBrun says that hearing from other teams, the question Bergevin is asking relates to strengthening the left side of the defense, saying that it sounds like it's MB's priority.
Good!

Now let's hope he doesn't cheap out on it.
He also mentions that with the cap not going as high as initially projected, that teams are tighter against the cap than they thought they'd be and Montreal may be able to squeeze a few of those teams because they're in a good spot with the cap.
Good again. Hopefully he goes the trade route.

Yeah, that’s pretty apparent as is your allergy to talented players apparently.
I'm all for elite talent. Duchene doesn't qualify.

If it were a REAL number one center, then sure...

Last edited:
Reactions: bsl

JD Lagrange

Jun 13, 2019
habsterix.com

Thanks for that, and LeBrun is 100% right. I am convinced that given the chance, Bergevin will go after Matt Duchene and he will try completing a trade for a top-4 LD.

Why Duchene, you ask? Because he's outstanding on faceoffs so he could take offensive zone faceoffs, he has tons of offensive abilities while being surprisingly efficient defensively. He's good on the PP and would allow Domi to return to his natural position, adding quality depth up front while knowing that Domi can fill-in in case of injuries. Perhaps signing him would allow to trade a forward or two for that elusive LD as well. The Pros vastly outweigh the cons IMO.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Thanks for that, and LeBrun is 100% right. I am convinced that given the chance, Bergevin will go after Matt Duchene and he will try completing a trade for a top-4 LD.

Why Duchene, you ask? Because he's outstanding on faceoffs so he could take offensive zone faceoffs, he has tons of offensive abilities while being surprisingly efficient defensively. He's good on the PP and would allow Domi to return to his natural position, adding quality depth up front while knowing that Domi can fill-in in case of injuries. Perhaps signing him would allow to trade a forward or two for that elusive LD as well. The Pros vastly outweigh the cons IMO.

YEEESSSS!!!

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
If the Habs sign Duchene for 7 years I don't believe they learned much from the Scott Gomez experience.

They’re the EXACT same player. Also, for the 1st time ever in NHL history, we’re also going to throw high end prospects back into the draft after signing Duchene, because we gave assets away last time. Because everyone knows, if things don’t go right the first tome, NEVER TRY AGAIN!!!!!!!!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I'm all for this plan. I am also game for signing Duchene. He also plays the type of hockey that would fit well with the Habs. Same for trading for a Top-4 LD.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
They’re the EXACT same player. Also, for the 1st time ever in NHL history, we’re also going to throw high end prospects back into the draft after signing Duchene, because we gave assets away last time. Because everyone knows, if things don’t go right the first tome, NEVER TRY AGAIN!!!!!!!!
When the eventual slump arrives, and it would, the contract risks becoming the piano it was for Gomez.

Duchene for the Habs makes sense, 5 years, whatever $$$ figure makes sense, beyond that, the odds of it becoming a bad deal in my opinion are high.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Assuming none of the top UFAs are interested in playing here, I'm predicting Bergevin gets a couple of good players as a Plan-B, like Gustav Nyquist and Ryan Dzingel. Not elite, but both are solid top-six forwards who'd really help the offence.

Assuming Gardner signs elsewhere, we'll likely trade for a LHD.

Reactions: JD Lagrange

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Assuming none of the top UFAs are interested in playing here, I'm predicting Bergevin gets a couple of good players as a Plan-B, like Gustav Nyquist and Ryan Dzingel. Not elite, but both are solid top-six forwards who'd really help the offence.

I'd go for Hall. Try to do what the Sharks did with Karlsson. Trade for him and then try to keep him. Kessel's another guy who we might be able to get, though he has the opportunity to deny the trade.

With the cap being lower than expected there will be other opportunities out there as well.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013

Just wish that one of them was right handed... That top-9 is getting pretty cramped and not a lot of room for middling left handed wingers.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'd go for Hall. Try to do what the Sharks did with Karlsson. Trade for him and then try to keep him. Kessel's another guy who we might be able to get, though he has the opportunity to deny the trade.

With the cap being lower than expected there will be other opportunities out there as well.

Give up a ton of assets and then give big money for a player whose played ONE full season in his 9 year career.

I’ll pass.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Then do the Kessel run.

Because he’s dying to come back to a hotbed Canadian market where he’ll be the premier player on the team. Think the experience he had in Toronto was a positive one? Think he’s dying to waive his NTC to come here? I don’t.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Because he’s dying to come back to a hotbed Canadian market where he’ll be the premier player on the team. Think the experience he had in Toronto was a positive one? Think he’s dying to waive his NTC to come here? I don’t.
Right I forgot... trades are hard.

San Jose can make trades for superstars but we can't. Other teams can go after players like Kessel but not Montreal.

This isn't Playstation after all.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Right I forgot... trades are hard.

San Jose can make trades for superstars but we can't. Other teams can go after players like Kessel but not Montreal.

This isn't Playstation after all.

Right because when a player had a NMC THEY decide where they go and the team doesn’t really get a say. Ask winnipeg about why they traded Trouba for a bag of pucks.

Your mocking about trades being hard while
making your next to impossible trade proposals is childish. If Kessel doesn’t want to be traded, there’s nothing you can do. It’s
Not terribly difficult to figure that out without resorting to childish mocking. That trades not hard, it’s impossible.

How about we trade for McDavid or Mathews or MacKinnon? Easy right??

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Who do you mean? I think Bergevin was willing to overpay Stamkos and Tavares quite drastically past few years - I can only imagine Karlsson too.
I don't think the reasons we haven't landed a top free agent is because we aren't offering enough.

I suppose if your comment is about Radulov that's fine. I still don't blame Bergevin too much on that one

My comments are more directed at the whole philosophy of Bergevin and his way of doing things.

Look at this summer so far.
Sign Weal, expected to be on the 4th line.
Sign Thompson, expected to be on the 4th line.
Sign Folin, expected to be 6-7 D
Sign Kulak, expected to be 4-5-6D....but more importantly he was RFA

I don't know….if it was me, i would want to go to free agency with as much cap space as possible., especially this year.
I would try to add top talents first and then worry about 4th liners and some magic beans, but Bergevin do it the other
way.

Here's a line-up before he sign Weal and Thompson :

Tatar - Danault- Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - Shaw
Byron - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Lehkonen - Peca - Deslauriers/Weise

Potential surprise out of camp : Poehling - Suzuki - Teasdale - Evans

Do you think investing 2,4M in Weal and Thompson to play on the 4th line was really necessary and had to be done BEFORE a bunch of great players becomes available and a bunch of teams will look to buy some cap space?

Reactions: bsl and Tighthead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad