Marc Bergevin: Even a broken clock is right twice a day Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It doesn't matter how often you post, to be honest...

Just don't get full rage and it's going to be fine.

People have different opinions and you should be able to deal with it and not act like 12 years old kid.

Have a good evening.

You've never seen me go full rage.

That's your delusional, and quite frankly idiotic, interpretation.

I'm fully relaxed, enjoying my fireplace and a good movie. You have to invent this whole world of pretend about me, so just to not lose face.

And even if you try to paint me as a kid, you're just avoiding the issue, avoiding to take a look at where you aired, refusing to learn. That's the very definition of immaturity.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
If I'm Bergevin, I'm going for Hjlamarsson in Arizona. Lefty defenseman with only 1 points who is UFA at the end of the season. Except he leads the team in +/- with a +7. Next up is Crouse with +3. Only 4 players are in the + (Stepan and Connaughton). Since our weakness is our defense, especially in the left side, he'd fit perfectly on a shutdown pair.

Being UFA and only having one point, he shouldn't cost too much. Id take a chance on him hoping we can extend him.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
If I'm Bergevin, I'm going for Hjlamarsson in Arizona. Lefty defenseman with only 1 points who is UFA at the end of the season. Except he leads the team in +/- with a +7. Next up is Crouse with +3. Only 4 players are in the + (Stepan and Connaughton). Since our weakness is our defense, especially in the left side, he'd fit perfectly on a shutdown pair.

Being UFA and only having one point, he shouldn't cost too much. Id take a chance on him hoping we can extend him.

NH is not what we need. As good as he might be defensively, we need puck movers to get the puck out with more ease.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
NH is not what we need. As good as he might be defensively, we need puck movers to get the puck out with more ease.

But he can skate with the puck. He's a beast defensively but he's also a great skater with a great first past. A puck mover will cost a little more than NH.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I think he was one of the most underrated player in the league when he was playing with Hawks. Even more so playing with the Coyotes.. I'd be all over him.

Reactions: Rapala

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
I'm not the originator. Somebody else thought of it, I don't remember who. That person'll probably spring up to take credit, but thanks anyway

I just wrote denial in a general and non-specific manner, really.

In no way shape or form did I mention Belial and wasn't intended towards him.

Not the least,

Nope

Not sure if I was the one who started it but I used it a while ago while arguing with him. Didn't get the reference until someone else pointed it out tough :DD

Edit: This is the first time I used it
RDS: - The All Encompassing Bergevin Thread: "I know where we are going"

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
We're entering dangerous territory...

With no plan or long term vision in place, this mid season slump could trigger a bone headed panic move.

We've got cap space and some solid prospects in the system... Scary to think of what he might try to do.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Only on the habs boards are the fans who support the team winning the "bad guys", and the fans who want the team to lose and complain about everyone the "good guys" who get all the likes.

Kinda funny

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
It's time to go all youth on D.

Trade Schlemko and Benn for picks and keep Petry and Weber.

Mete-Weber
Kulak-Petry
Reilly-Ouellet*

* Until Juulsen comes back

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We're entering dangerous territory...

With no plan or long term vision in place, this mid season slump could trigger a bone headed panic move.

We've got cap space and some solid prospects in the system... Scary to think of what he might try to do.
I don't think that will happen. If he did that and we still didn't win he'd be out on his butt for sure. He's better off embarking on a rebuild path because he can then ask for patience and extend his tenure.

Personally I think he should've been turfed long ago but that's no secret.
Only on the habs boards are the fans who support the team winning the "bad guys", and the fans who want the team to lose and complain about everyone the "good guys" who get all the likes.

Kinda funny
This is the wrong way to look at things.

Everybody here is a Hab fan. Everyone wants what's best for the team. Yes, there are two camps... one who thinks about longterm success and others who feel that we can win sooner rather than later. There are no "good" or "bad guys" here.

Personally, I think a longer term path - one which may mean that we lose in the short term - is the right way to go. I hate the term "tanking" because it implies that we deliberately lose and we shouldn't be doing that. What I think we should do though is to deal away vets for futures and use the cap to our advantage by acquiring problematic contracts from other teams in return for youth. In the short term it will hurt but I think long term we'll benefit from it. That isn't a "good" or "bad" view, it's simply what I believe would yield us the greatest opportunity for winning a cup.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
After sending Alzner down and saving a bit more than $1M in cap space, I think we now have about $11M (+/-) in total cap space. If we are interested in Panarin, we have the space to go after him. Not sure he signs with us though. Then what? We continue on with the cap space and wait for a impact piece to become available.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
After sending Alzner down and saving a bit more than $1M in cap space, I think we now have about $11M (+/-) in total cap space. If we are interested in Panarin, we have the space to go after him. Not sure he signs with us though. Then what? We continue on with the cap space and wait for a impact piece to become available.

I think Tavares was a game changer. not sure about Panarin nor anyone else on the horizon. Also I doubt Panarin signs here - with Tavares, even though I was wrong, i thought him being friendly with Weber/Price and him being Canadian maybe gave us a chance - no such luck with Panarin and i doubt we'd be considered.

Honestly i'm all for using our cap space but there's no rush to do it. If we're contenders? Sure. If we're not? Let's take it slow and see what opportunities arise. Maybe some high profile player demands a trade, or maybe an RFA goes RFA (Matthews is up next year)..i'm fine having a lot of cap space for now.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I'm sorry but this logic is so dumb...

What you're actually calling for is a GM over a GM, what's the point in having Bergevin then?

PS: Damn the negative nancies are in full force today...
Damn reality sucks. MOST team actually have someone looking at overall hockey operations so their manager can concentrate on doing one job well. Not someone wearing the one ring to rule them all.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
What if the clock is digital? If it's broken it may never be right.
12:00

But its flashing so you know its not working , you are sure it likely isn't the right time. Or like this year.
DSCN0103.JPG

Reactions: Rapala

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
It may well be a collective having greater input.

What is new since the decisions we all like? Ducharme, Bouchard and Richardson. What if all of these guys are getting more input and greater weighting was being given to Timmins? It would be like adding new brainpower plus a reshuffling as is done in politics.

The Bergevin of old would have never proceeded to waiving his prized UFA signing so soon. He'd be busy doubling down and face-saving.
Some moves have helped overall but we needed this 7 years ago. Now we are in damage control once more.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Tavares was a game changer. not sure about Panarin nor anyone else on the horizon. Also I doubt Panarin signs here - with Tavares, even though I was wrong, i thought him being friendly with Weber/Price and him being Canadian maybe gave us a chance - no such luck with Panarin and i doubt we'd be considered.

Honestly i'm all for using our cap space but there's no rush to do it. If we're contenders? Sure. If we're not? Let's take it slow and see what opportunities arise. Maybe some high profile player demands a trade, or maybe an RFA goes RFA (Matthews is up next year)..i'm fine having a lot of cap space for now.

I agree with you. Price/Weber was our only shot at Tavares. I was concerned about the Ontario boy going to Montreal as well. As far as Panarin, it comes down to what others are willing to give him and what we could offer. We don't have much Russians on our team anymore so not sure he even considers us. It's certainly an argument to be made on weather or not we should go after him.

Something tells me Bergevin goes after another D man in the off season. Hopefully he is careful with committing to a guy who is not worth it... like Alzner.

Reactions: Agalloch

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I agree with you. Price/Weber was our only shot at Tavares. I was concerned about the Ontario boy going to Montreal as well. As far as Panarin, it comes down to what others are willing to give him and what we could offer. We don't have much Russians on our team anymore so not sure he even considers us. It's certainly an argument to be made on weather or not we should go after him.

Something tells me Bergevin goes after another D man in the off season. Hopefully he is careful with committing to a guy who is not worth it... like Alzner.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

This is the list of UFA left d for this summer...

There's nothing of value. The best is by trade.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Damn reality sucks. MOST team actually have someone looking at overall hockey operations so their manager can concentrate on doing one job well. Not someone wearing the one ring to rule them all.

I think you do that when you replace Bergevin - not when he's still around.

And yes I know everyone wants Bergevin gone - but that's besides that point. I think hiring a "president" or whatever you want to call that person makes sense - but do it next time you replace the GM, and no when the GM is still in position

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I just call it the appeal to authority and there are about a half dozen posters here that believe that. MB is the gm he must be right and everyone else has to be wrong no matter how bad his moves are.
Its about Ego and Id. We attach ourselves to our sports teams (or other idols) so if they are wrong we need to find an excuse and blame others using ad hominen attacks. Admitting our idols are wrong, or bad means we are wrong or bad. It hurts us because of the delusion of self.

Yet at some point people need to realize their idols are wrong, or very wrong. Being better doesn't change the fundamental flaws of the idol.

Reactions: OldCraig71

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

I dont like Panarin

Tavares being a center was much more intriguing. I don't think Panarin is nearly as impactful. If we got him at a great value of 7-8M$ sure maybe....but not interested in paying what he'll be asking for (and i'm not usually cheap on players - i'd have been fine paying Tavares 13M if we had to).

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I think you do that when you replace Bergevin - not when he's still around.

And yes I know everyone wants Bergevin gone - but that's besides that point. I think hiring a "president" or whatever you want to call that person makes sense - but do it next time you replace the GM, and no when the GM is still in position
A president should have been here day 1 to take care of the business side of the business. And now is the best time, it signals a means to change things over. New president wants to make a mark and can fire Marc!

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
A president should have been here day 1 to take care of the business side of the business. And now is the best time, it signals a means to change things over. New president wants to make a mark and can fire Marc!

I think there's been enough talk around the city of a president so i'd be absolutely shocked if that's not the direction they go in. But it'll only happen when they fire Bergevin. Doesn't make sense before.

And yes - maybe they hire a president on a monday for him to be the one to fire Marc on the Tuesday and his first act is to find a new gm....but it would still coincide with Bergevin being gone. Hiring a boss to Bergevin while keeping him in position is just very weird dynamics and it wouldn't work.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I dont like Panarin

Tavares being a center was much more intriguing. I don't think Panarin is nearly as impactful. If we got him at a great value of 7-8M$ sure maybe....but not interested in paying what he'll be asking for (and i'm not usually cheap on players - i'd have been fine paying Tavares 13M if we had to).

Ideally, this team needs a few things...

- Tkachuk type. Size/Strength/Skill and average skating. We need guys that can win puck battles and can put the puck in the net. This frees up space for some of the smurfs on our roster
- A Juulsen type on LD. I know a PMD is valuable and ideal but lets start with a shutdown type with good overall game. Price needs this
- Panarin type won't hurt the PP IMO. Our PP lacks puck possession guys and goal scorers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad