Marc Bergevin: Even a broken clock is right twice a day Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Well boys.... looks like no body is going to get what they want for xmas...

The former *ahem* DRAFT Enthusiasts who wanted mtl to stock pile picks and sell our assets is very unlikely. SO we are getting coal for xmas. Clearly the team has improved since last year and has made some smart choices, however still has so many holes that it is my opinion we would be better off being sellers. That is highly unlikely.

The other side are in for a let down. Now we have got a lot of optimism lately. Price seems price like again, Domi (gotta eat some crow on that one). JD is doing well finally. and Weber is back and seems as if he never left.
All good things! But too many holes still to have a legit shot.

However given our D depth and still the need for a second line C (assuming domi is #1) I feel that we are currently at the pretender phase.
That being said we do have alot of cap space.

I will be curious what marc does near tradedeadline

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia

The former *ahem* DRAFT Enthusiasts who wanted mtl to stock pile picks and sell our assets is very unlikely. SO we are getting coal for xmas. Clearly the team has improved since last year and has made some smart choices, however still has so many holes that it is my opinion we would be better off being sellers. That is highly unlikely.

The other side are in for a let down. Now we have got a lot of optimism lately. Price seems price like again, Domi (gotta eat some crow on that one). JD is doing well finally. and Weber is back and seems as if he never left.

However given our D depth and still the need for a second line C (assuming domi is #1) I feel that we are currently at the pretender phase.

He will buy guaranteed can't give up the super successful make playoffs lose in first round get mediocre pick rinse and repeat as necessary strategy.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
He will buy guaranteed can't give up the super successful make playoffs lose in first round get mediocre pick rinse and repeat as necessary strategy.
By year 14 with his new extension and the 5th time during his tenure the habs got put out in round 1, he may just have to change plans and do something. Of course people will applaud and say 'look how shrewd he is', despite us only saying this since year 2.

The only question is, will we be sellers in 2026 or buyers? :sarcasm:

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site

The best is to do nothing from now except trading Benn and Schlemko for picks.

Reactions: Censored Toad

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Batting 1 for 7 doesn't instill me with alot of confidence. Guess we will have to wait and see.....

''batting 1 for 7'' narrative is so not true, Habs had 2 very bad season out of those 7 and MB had 1 really bad summer, but keep saying it, you may be able to fool some around here

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
''batting 1 for 7'' narrative is so not true, Habs had 2 very bad season out of those 7 and MB had 1 really bad summer, but keep saying it, you may be able to fool some around here
No matter how you slice it............our GM has been in way over his head...he hardly deserves the benefit of the doubt...as the thread reads, even a broken clock is right a day....this is now also known as an infliction, called Bergevanism...

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011

Another 25 years, another 25 years! I cannot wait.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
No matter how you slice it............our GM has been in way over his head...he hardly deserves the benefit of the doubt...as the thread reads, even a broken clock is right a day....this is now also known as an infliction, called Bergevanism...

I know this opinion of MB is strong around here, doesnt make you guy's right tho

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
We all need to realize we have our opinions...no one is right or wrong...it is opinions. I can't wait til we fire this clown...my 2 cents...

Why would you be a fanboy? Just curious...

First of all i dont consider myself a fanboy of MB, i just think that alot of the posters exagerate how bad he is..... you know like the ''batting 1 for 7'' comment or ''he as been way over is head'' comment, like i said before in my opinion he had 1 very bad summer and it was last year , that year apart i think he did a pretty good job

I dont care much if he get fired, but i'm worry about the guy who will replace him, i know you gonna tell me that it cant be worst......well i dont agree with that

In the end it's just 2 different opinions, like you said we all need to realize we all have our own opinions and they are just opinions

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
First of all i dont consider myself a fanboy of MB, i just think that alot of the posters exagerate how bad he is..... you know like the ''batting 1 for 7'' comment or ''he as been way over is head'' comment, like i said before in my opinion he had 1 very bad summer and it was last year , that year apart i think he did a pretty good job

I dont care much if he get fired, but i'm worry about the guy who will replace him, i know you gonna tell me that it cant be worst......well i dont agree with that

In the end it's just 2 different opinions, like you said we all need to realize we all have our own opinions and they are just opinions
The one huge problem with HF...............is people are always trying to be "right " and all too often, most forget, their opinion is just that.

I was...happy with the hire of Bergevin, and then he hired Therrien, and he doubled and tripled down on Therrien, and well that was beyond enough for me...............he needs to go, and we should not be worried about who takes his place...there are all kinds of better options.

Reactions: teamfirst

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site

I agree his summer when we lost Markov and Radulov was bad but since then, it's good moves.

This is part of an interview on October 2018:

SN: Markov wanted a two-year deal and was insisting on it until he was finally ready to accept a one-year deal. When he was willing to do that, you offered him a contract that could get him to the same salary he had made over 10 seasons ($5.75 million) but only through performance bonuses.

BERGEVIN: They were very easy bonuses [to hit]. His cap hit was $5.750 million on his last contract but it was a back-diving contract that paid him a base salary of $4.2 million in his final year. I was offering $4.2 million and easy bonuses. When I say easy, I mean if he had kept the same path of his career he was going to make his money.

SN: But why not just give him the salary he was looking for on a one-year deal? He made it clear he felt disrespected and he was insulted.

BERGEVIN: He should have hired an agent. I talked to some agents who asked me why he didn’t take the deal, they couldn’t understand it. And after the fact, he wished he would’ve taken the deal and it was too late because he signed in Russia. So I don’t regret the offer I made.

SN: You can’t replace Weber, who could be out until well into December. You might not even be able to adequately replace David Schlemko on your third pair, considering how he played in camp and the versatility he offers versus some of your other depth options. Are you not concerned about the defence?

BERGEVIN: Yes, I am.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I agree his summer when we lost Markov and Radulov was bad but since then, it's good moves.

This is part of an interview on October 2018:

SN: Markov wanted a two-year deal and was insisting on it until he was finally ready to accept a one-year deal. When he was willing to do that, you offered him a contract that could get him to the same salary he had made over 10 seasons ($5.75 million) but only through performance bonuses.

BERGEVIN: They were very easy bonuses [to hit]. His cap hit was $5.750 million on his last contract but it was a back-diving contract that paid him a base salary of $4.2 million in his final year. I was offering $4.2 million and easy bonuses. When I say easy, I mean if he had kept the same path of his career he was going to make his money.

SN: But why not just give him the salary he was looking for on a one-year deal? He made it clear he felt disrespected and he was insulted.

BERGEVIN: He should have hired an agent. I talked to some agents who asked me why he didn’t take the deal, they couldn’t understand it. And after the fact, he wished he would’ve taken the deal and it was too late because he signed in Russia. So I don’t regret the offer I made.

Typical Bergevin response...not his fault..he didn't do anything wrong. It's dumbo Markov who couldn't understand how NHL contracts work. It's not like he ever signed one before or anything...

Never Bergevin's fault man.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

So it's a ridiculous exaggeration to say he's 1/7...but it's not to say he's 6/7? loll..

For the record, I don't think he's 1/7. He definitely isn't 6/7 either. In any event, who cares, he's shown enough failures to warrant a firing. This shouldn't even be a discussion anymore.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Typical Bergevin response...not his fault..he didn't do anything wrong. It's dumbo Markov who couldn't understand how NHL contracts work. It's not like he ever signed one before or anything...

Never Bergevin's fault man.

Bergevin screwed up on Markov. We all know it but he made some good moves since then and he kind of corrected it with Plekanec.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Bergevin screwed up on Markov. We all know it but he made some good moves since then and he kind of corrected it with Plekanec.

Well Bergevin clearly doesn't think he screwed up, on the contrary, he blames Markov and indirectly questions his intelligence.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Well Bergevin clearly doesn't think he screwed up, on the contrary, he blames Markov and indirectly questions his intelligence.

The interesting part on his answer is what happened. I didn't know Markov was offered the same deal as his last year, I thought he was severely low ball. Markov should have accepted it most likely, but you're right Bergevin didn't say that he screwed up.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The interesting part on his answer is what happened. I didn't know Markov was offered the same deal as his last year, I thought he was severely low ball. Markov should have accepted it most likely, but you're right Bergevin didn't say that he screwed up.
I have my doubts about this. Markov was never money hungry, not sure why he would now play hardball for an extra mill. Just doesn't add up.
Also, as stated, Markov felt disrespected, I strongly doubt it's because Bergevin suggested he takes on 1M in bonuses...I mean seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->