Marc Bergevin: Even a broken clock is right twice a day Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
When Weber is spoken of in human terms and not as a Herculean mythical figure, sure.

He has no control over that narrative but I'm not speaking to him, I'm speaking to those who peddle the narrative. Weber's aura has moved the needle precisely zero degrees. In fact, the Habs had more success in the three years prior to Weber's aura gracing the Habs than in the three years after.

Further, it could be the case that he's an unlucky but great player on a declining team but that raises two questions (rhetorical, natch), 1) why is it that Weber's always been "unlucky" on both teams he's played on? Nashville have had much more success since he's been replaced. The Habs have not had success. And 2) of what use is it to us as Habs fans if Weber is allegedly individually good if the team itself is both hopeless and doesn't stand a chance to compete?

Why praise the guy so damn much? It reeks of insecurity following the bad trade. We all know it.
I can’t speak for the “unlucky” question, but I know this. Any team stupid enough to take runs at our young team? Let alone hurt one? Is going to get crushed by Weber.

Reactions: BLONG7

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
I can’t speak for the “unlucky” question, but I know this. Any team stupid enough to take runs at our young team? Let alone hurt one? Is going to get crushed by Weber.
Kadri was stupid enough to run Weber himself so I'm not sure this strategy really works. Do we think Gallagher was afraid of Chara and Lucic for all those years? Is Weber really more terrifying than those two were over the past decade?

When Weber is spoken of in human terms and not as a Herculean mythical figure, sure.

This is the most mind boggling thing about the whole Weber narrative to me, it just seems to be so completely offensive to suggest he's only human and not a mythological being of strength and virtue. Suggesting that a pro athlete at age 33 and onwards is not what he was at 25 shouldn't be controversial but the very suggestion that Weber is declining and it's silly to build your "young team" around a declining 33 year old defenseman seems to be really offensive to people.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
normally I'd agree with this, but not in Weber's case, pretty much everybody talk about him like he's a god, a legend, too good to be true, flawless, nevre make mistakes, never, etc...

so if that's the case then it's expected that Weber does more than just help. and very good is not enough.

(and yeah, I dont see peeps objecting when one goes in "Web NEVER make mistakes" mode so you guys agree with this)
I agree that Weber shouldn't be held to the standards of being a god, legend, flawless, etc.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

He has no control over that narrative but I'm not speaking to him, I'm speaking to those who peddle the narrative. Weber's aura has moved the needle precisely zero degrees. In fact, the Habs had more success in the three years prior to Weber's aura gracing the Habs than in the three years after.

Further, it could be the case that he's an unlucky but great player on a declining team but that raises two questions (rhetorical, natch), 1) why is it that Weber's always been "unlucky" on both teams he's played on? Nashville have had much more success since he's been replaced. The Habs have not had success. And 2) of what use is it to us as Habs fans if Weber is allegedly individually good if the team itself is both hopeless and doesn't stand a chance to compete?

Why praise the guy so damn much? It reeks of insecurity following the bad trade. We all know it.
I'm not sure who you're arguing against because I honestly don't remember anyone describing him as a mythical figure. But yes, I agree he's not Herculean. It also might be the first time that word's been used on this site, so bonus points.

But I don't get how he's unlucky. Unlucky in what way? He never made the SCF, but Nashville had success with him, and it's not like they won a Cup since.

Reactions: DangerDave

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Kadri was stupid enough to run Weber himself so I'm not sure this strategy really works. Do we think Gallagher was afraid of Chara and Lucic for all those years? Is Weber really more terrifying than those two were over the past decade?

This is the most mind boggling thing about the whole Weber narrative to me, it just seems to be so completely offensive to suggest he's only human and not a mythological being of strength and virtue. Suggesting that a pro athlete at age 33 and onwards is not what he was at 25 shouldn't be controversial but the very suggestion that Weber is declining and it's silly to build your "young team" around a declining 33 year old defenseman seems to be really offensive to people.
Weber doesn't do intimidation. He might boil over once or twice a season against non-fighters smaller than him but he is not a threat. Travis Moen certainly must have had an impact on who he decides to fight since Moen rung his bell really good.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I know who I'm implicating, it's all the insecure Habs fans and media goons who want to make lemonade out of this deal.

As for Weber, a common refrain is that he was unlucky to never win a Norris (small market) and never compete (small market team; rebuild) - otherwise he's a first ballot HoF and has the aura the size of B.C. and can stare at a mountain and sculpt it with his mind. Just unlucky to have zero NHL hardware. The user Japhi said as much just recently in another thread.
Markov did more than Weber and are any Habs fans bitching about no Norris for him after years of high quality service? Komisarek is proof of Markov's ability to make his partner better. Neither Suter nor Josi really suffered from losing Weber, especially Suter. Suter has proven to be the man in Minny and deserves HOF consideration over Shea if we're talking about weak HOF cases.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Neither Subban nor Weber should make the HOF if it was me but since so many weak choices have been made over the years, I could see them make it. Subban has the Norris and Weber the gold medals and stuff, ok.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
It was Robert Plant all along. Don't eat it!

View attachment 162237
Maybe thats how the kid from Great Van Fleet got his voice!(super punchable face though)
gn-gift_guide_variable_c.jpg

Reactions: Rapala

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Markov did more than Weber and are any Habs fans *****ing about no Norris for him after years of high quality service? Komisarek is proof of Markov's ability to make his partner better. Neither Suter nor Josi really suffered from losing Weber, especially Suter. Suter has proven to be the man in Minny and deserves HOF consideration over Shea if we're talking about weak HOF cases.

Josi is not as good as he was

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
That's BS, and I bet you barely ever watched him play...let alone seen enough games of him to notice how he developed on Weber's side and his drop since playing with Ellis.

Offensivly he regress and he was with Rinne the reason why the Preds didn't go as far in the playoff

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Offensivly he regress and he was with Rinne the reason why the Preds didn't go as far in the playoff
What in God's name are you talking about? He was 3pts shy of his career high scoring pace last year, and he's on the same pace this year.
Last POs he didn't play very well, agreed. That's one time, and right now he's producing as he's done previously.

I wished people stopped inventing stuff for the sake of arguments here. We both know you barely watched any Preds game, so let's stop pretending like you know enough about Josi and his past performances to properly rate if he's declined since Weber's departure.
You can prefer Weber and think he's the best of all time without having to fabricate anything.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
What in God's name are you talking about? He was 3pts shy of his career high scoring pace last year, and he's on the same pace this year.
Last POs he didn't play very well, agreed. That's one time, and right now he's producing as he's done previously.

I wished people stopped inventing stuff for the sake of arguments here. We both know you barely watched any Preds game, so let's stop pretending like you know enough about Josi and his past performances to properly rate if he's declined since Weber's departure.
You can prefer Weber and think he's the best of all time without having to fabricate anything.

Not saying his not good anymore, but he didn't put 60 pts since Weber is gone and alote of the PK fans says that Josi dosen't do that much so..

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Not saying his not good anymore, but he didn't put 60 pts since Weber is gone and alote of the PK fans says that Josi dosen't do that much so..
Again, he was on a career pace for 58pts last season, that's 3 points shy. You're telling me a 3pt difference is what you are clinging onto here?
Weber's best year here is 42pts, that is 13 less than his career high....so if you think Josi has regressed because of having a scoring pace lower by 3 pts...how much do you think Weber regressed with his 13pt less+back2back injuries?
Let me guess...you don't think he's regressed at all right? Just stop. It's embarrassing.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Again, he was on a career pace for 58pts last season, that's 3 points shy. You're telling me a 3pt difference is what you are clinging onto here?
Weber's best year here is 42pts, that is 13 less than his career high....so if you think Josi has regressed because of having a scoring pace lower by 3 pts...how much do you think Weber regressed with his 13pt less+back2back injuries?
Let me guess...you don't think he's regressed at all right? Just stop. It's embarrassing.

Where did I say that Weber didn't miss Josi ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->