Marc Bergevin: Even a broken clock is right twice a day Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
What?

I take a few minutes out of my oh-so-very busy schedule to create a new 'shoop, and posts are gone?

Whatever.

This one's for you, @OldCraig71 :D

rje60y.png

:popcorn:
Big win tonight I can just feel it.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
For me it's a question of validating why a player was drafted in the first place. And yes most definitely Lefebvre was asked to play a certain way it was brought up many times over. But what I never understood was trying to shove players into molds. If we can't exploit what got them drafted in the first place we've got a huge problem on our hands.

When he joined in, McCarron himself said that he wanted to be the next Lucic. He tried to play like that...and looked stupid. Then, Bergevin and Co wanted their big centerman and thought it made sense. Lefebvre didn't think that. Bergevin wanted it. He was dumb for doing so. McCarron can't even process a game on the wings, can't imagine he can do it at center. Tinordi? Was seen as this shutdown d-man type of guy with some fighting abilities. Yes, they surely exploit that trait too much....but I doubt the kid wanted no part of it. BUt he was terrible at it. But in none of those cases were those guys drafted to be top 6 or top 2 on D. Scherbak was picked up for his top 6 abilities.....but they forgot to watch if he knew how to play hockey and not just be the hockey version of Globetrotters. I have absolutely NO idea what Lefebvre could have done more with Scherbak. Actually, last time he played with Lefebvre, he was PPG and more.

I totally agree that you do not put a guy on a 3rd line in the AHL 'cause you have already determined that his ceiling is the 3rd line in the NHL. That's not how it works....and Lefebvre did that for quite a few players......but again....to a point to COMPLETELY destroy their future and transform them from potential superstars to beer league players?

Reactions: Rapala

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Im not a big timmins guy, but its the fact we can't develop anything. Gally spent 5 months under sly, chucky none and many believe he has been diminished because of how he was developed. Ghetto was a decent prospect IMO. Sly in fact told players to not play offensively "as they are only third liners". Bringing up Halak only weakens your case, again he is before MB era. So he seems to have been developed well and is the #2 goalie in the league. I was on team halak so I won't get into this. Streit wasn't developed during the MB habs.

I mean the examples you are using are what highlights how bad our development has been. We can't even manage that level of player in 6 seasons. So why did we develop OK players up till 2012. We have nothing to show for the last 6 seasons outside of player developed in europe or never played under SL at all.

I don't think timmins is great, but he is certainly a lot better than what we have seen for over half a decade. If he is getting us possibly tweeners then its up to us to develop them to at least stay tweeners. If he is getting us third liners(a fail for many first rounders) then they should at least be 3rd liners. We don't even have that. Throwing darts is better than what we have so I can't put the blame on timmins.

Can you show me(not being rude) who actually has drafted and developed less than we have in the last 6 years. You can have bad drafting, but if you have very bad development you will stunt any potential those players had. Elller and Chuck being put aside for davey and pleks is a prime example. Not just Sylvain, Therrien too.

But in the end, being able to draft 3rd and 4th liners are not what makes a team great. Yeah, they could at least be that.....but it STILL wouldn't be enough. The ony reason why people in here thinks Timmins is a god is because he drafted Price, McDonagh, Pacioretty and Subban. Those guys are stars. Lately, we bring up Gallagher, Galchenyuk and Sergachev. WE now often are talking about Fleury, Brook, Poehling....none of those guys are seen, as of today as fillers.

Right now, there's nothing from Hudon's development that indicates he shouldn't be a NHL regular. Lefebvre did what he could with them. So...why can't he take that extra step? Maybe because...he's just not good enough? Thing change quite fast....not that long ago, people were saying that they only success story was a guy that wasn't developed by Lefebvre in Lehkonen.....well...thank god he just started scoring 'cause it again looked like a really bad season for him. In the meantime....Pateryn would look incredible in our lineup. Especially compared to what we have.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I was told not that long ago that it wasn't Timmins fault for drafting Tinordi and McCarron has he was caught off guard 'cause the league has started changing. Which for me is pure bogus, other teams had catch that up sooner and adapted but......To the question....how come he looked better from 03-07 and not after....isn't it possible that he, himself, had trouble adjusting to the new game? If the guy picks up Tinordi and McCarron 'cause we were supposed to still be in the tough era, maybe that was his problem post 2007? Not recognizing the new era?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
When he joined in, McCarron himself said that he wanted to be the next Lucic. He tried to play like that...and looked stupid. Then, Bergevin and Co wanted their big centerman and thought it made sense. Lefebvre didn't think that. Bergevin wanted it. He was dumb for doing so. McCarron can't even process a game on the wings, can't imagine he can do it at center. Tinordi? Was seen as this shutdown d-man type of guy with some fighting abilities. Yes, they surely exploit that trait too much....but I doubt the kid wanted no part of it. BUt he was terrible at it. But in none of those cases were those guys drafted to be top 6 or top 2 on D. Scherbak was picked up for his top 6 abilities.....but they forgot to watch if he knew how to play hockey and not just be the hockey version of Globetrotters. I have absolutely NO idea what Lefebvre could have done more with Scherbak. Actually, last time he played with Lefebvre, he was PPG and more.

I totally agree that you do not put a guy on a 3rd line in the AHL 'cause you have already determined that his ceiling is the 3rd line in the NHL. That's not how it works....and Lefebvre did that for quite a few players......but again....to a point to COMPLETELY destroy their future and transform them from potential superstars to beer league players?

There were no superstars in that group to begin with but like you mentioned earlier it's up to someone in the organization to determine if there is a role for the player in the imminent future and if not to get something for them. DLR is actually a great example of keeping a redundant asset if we weren't going to use him at center. e.g. If Danault made Eller dispensable what did it make DLR who was unable to take Eller's place under Therrien?

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The way I see it, the unbelievably awful development environment with the previous coaches afforded a credible excuse to Timmins' record in the previous few years. For example, Sylvain Lefebvre was discouraging his forward prospects from scoring goals. Meanwhile, Lehkonen, who was developed in Europe, is the best player of the 2nd round of the 2013 draft.

So, in light of that, I give Timmins another two years. The coaching is now improved at both levels. Given that I blame development, I expect Fleury, Brook, Poehling, etc to do a lot better than previous prospects. If they bust just as hard, then I will have to acknowledge that I have been mistaken, and that indeed Timmins is no longer good.
That and the fact TT had some precedence of success. Lefebvre had nothing to go on. It was normal to point the finger towards development. It did buy TT way more time.

Reactions: DAChampion

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
What?

I take a few minutes out of my oh-so-very busy schedule to create a new 'shoop, and posts are gone?

Whatever.

This one's for you, @OldCraig71 :D

rje60y.png

:popcorn:
Thank you @Bloumeister I am glad you took the time to do such great work and portray such a supreme leader. I think that this image should be stickied. I cannot stop looking at it, I am starting to believe, can't fight it, my attitude is even changing. What have you done?????????

Last edited:

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Everything is looking up.. we will make the play offs and our drafting will be amazing... I can smell that cup... No more negativity here!!! Marc has done an amazing job
:vhappy::towel:
I feel triggered, who do I whine to?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Looking at it from afar this is what I saw.

1930s-Makeup-The-Jean-Harlow-Look-eyebrows.jpg
That is some scary stuff!!!!......just showed it to my parents (I spend my days off playing cards with them lol).....and they didn’t see the face initially but when I pointed it out to them, they both yelped a OMG :laugh:

Then I showed them the pic of the gal....now we in a deep supernatural debate :laugh:

Reactions: Doc McKenna

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
That is some scary stuff!!!!......just showed it to my parents (I spend my days off playing cards with them lol).....and they didn’t see the face initially but when I pointed it out to them, they both yelped a OMG :laugh:

Then I showed them the pic of the gal....now we in a deep supernatural debate :laugh:
That's not just a gal, that's Jean Harlow.:nod: I knew there was a picture of her similar to the toast, I just had to Google for it. Amazing isn't it? The mind can really play tricks on you.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I feel triggered, who do I whine to?
No one..

Negativity infringes my right to a safe, harassment free internet space on this forum. :tmi:
Just accept that Marc is amazing and that those other 6 years were fake news or some conspiracy to make Marc look foolish. He's the real deal. Best GM of 2018

The drive for 25 is alive friend :nod:
we are just one piece away from contending for a cup... anything can happen in the play offs. Marc said it so it must be true.

GO HABS GO!!!:toothless:towel:

Last edited:

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
That's not just a gal, that's Jean Harlow.:nod: I knew there was a picture of her similar to the toast, I just had to Google for it. Amazing isn't it? The mind can really play tricks on you.
I had looked up "image of the virgin mary" Lots to choose from, but a grill cheese that is half eaten is pretty funny.

Reactions: jaffy27

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
No one..

Negativity infringes my right to a safe, harassment free internet space on this forum. :tmi:
Just accept that Marc is amazing and that those other 6 years were fake news or some conspiracy to make Marc look foolish. He's the real deal. Best GM of 2018

The drive for 25 is alive friend :nod:
we are just one piece away from contending for a cup... anything can happen in the play offs. Marc said it so it must be true.

GO HABS GO!!!:toothless:towel:
I know cannabis is legal, but I didn't know LSD was making a comeback.:laugh:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Honestly I don't think there is a qualified candidate to be our GM other than Julien Brisebois. I think about this a lot and the list I come up with is VERY short.

I do NOT want to hire an inexperienced GM. Even Brisebois scares me a bit because he is still relatively new as a GM. But if the Leafs can find somebody to do it, then we can too. The biggest issue is the language requirement.
There should not be a language requirement for gm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad