Marc Bergevin: Draft? Edition (XIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
You're right but since he basically refused to trade Petry and Tatar when they were likely worth more at the deadline. I dont think that was ever in the plan
they didn't worth more at the deadline . Playoffs teams that had the cap space to get them were limited and the contender teams don't want to touch to there roster before going in a playoffs run. That means that they will only give draft choices or young players without NHL games .
Tatar and Petry would be great acquisitions for a lot of teams out of the playoffs and they could return young players already in their 1-3 seasons in the NHL .

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
they didn't worth more at the deadline . Playoffs teams that had the cap space to get them were limited and the contender teams don't want to touch to there roster before going in a playoffs run. That means that they will only give draft choices or young players without NHL games .
Tatar and Petry would be great acquisitions for a lot of teams out of the playoffs and they could return young players already in their 1-3 seasons in the NHL .

1. We can absorb contracts back with ease.
2. Their contracts are 5 million dollars, those aren't really that difficult to fit in, and its pro-rated at the deadline.
3. Almost always a player for two play-off runs is worth more than for one.
4. All signs point toward the Habs wanting desperately to make the play-offs, so their off-season value will decrease from this year and at the deadline it will decrease further.
5. Young teams out of the play-offs will not pay for rentals at the deadline and since Montreal's goal is to make the playoffs (lol, lofty goals), they won't be moved prior to that.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
1. We can absorb contracts back with ease.
2. Their contracts are 5 million dollars, those aren't really that difficult to fit in, and its pro-rated at the deadline.
3. Almost always a player for two play-off runs is worth more than for one.
4. All signs point toward the Habs wanting desperately to make the play-offs, so their off-season value will decrease from this year and at the deadline it will decrease further.
5. Young teams out of the play-offs will not pay for rentals at the deadline and since Montreal's goal is to make the playoffs (lol, lofty goals), they won't be moved prior to that.
Just look at what we got from Maxpac . Was it at the deadline ? no

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

They were moving on from Max Pacioretty. They are not moving on from Tomas Tatar and Jeff Petry.

They will be worth less at this deadline when we are out of the play-offs, than they would have been worth at the last deadline or during this summer.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Doesn't mean we couldn't have gotten something better at the deadline.
We should have moved on from Petry and Tatar because they still have a year remaining and those guys were on fire.
There will always be a demand for big moving mid-pair dman like Petry, and a top 6 player like Tatar. We're not going to get a 3rd pick for them. But we should have moved on to accelerate our rebuild.
The longer we wait, the longer we're in this reset limbo.

Reactions: LaP

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think it's best shown with the Subban trade. We had a trade in place including the 4th OA pick which fell apart because Dubois was picked at 3 and the whole plan was to draft him. Instead of continuing to look at trading Subban for young assets, we do the complete opposite. How you don't have a proper direction for one of if not your most valuable is simply beyond me. The exact same thing happened with Pacioretty. Apparently, we had a trade in place to trade him to the Islanders for the 11/12th OA in 2018, and then trade the pick for ROR. That didn't happen because Wahlstrom and Dobson fell to them. In that very same day, Bergevin tried to trade him to the Kings for an unknown package, but we do know it included the 1st since they couldn't get a contract extension done. We can't really say much about this since we don't know what the rest of the package was(heard all sorts of rumours listing Muzzin, Toffoli, JAD as possible names). So we can't really say for sure that he did a complete 180 in direction and went for future assets instead of a vet. However, look at the actual trade that happened. Tatar, Suzuki and a 2nd. Tatar was coming off a terrible year, but I personally thought he could be of value(I expected around 45 points at best, but he's been a 60+ point player for us). There were rumours that McPhee wanted to dump Tatar for anything, but we can't confirm that. The main pieces were always Suzuki+2nd. So once again, Bergevin planned on committing to a playoff direction when he planned on getting ROR but then changed his mind in the exact same way as the Subban trade and got younger assets. His inability to commit to a direction and fix the drafting and development is why the Habs haven't done a damn thing since their ECF run.

I think it's even beyond choosing a direction. You can be in this limbo but still have a vision as to what type of team he wants to build, the style and identity. It's so random now.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
They were moving on from Max Pacioretty. They are not moving on from Tomas Tatar and Jeff Petry.

They will be worth less at this deadline when we are out of the play-offs, than they would have been worth at the last deadline or during this summer.
based on ? Next deadline maybe , but during this summer ...

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Doesn't mean we couldn't have gotten something better at the deadline.
We should have moved on from Petry and Tatar because they still have a year remaining and those guys were on fire.
There will always be a demand for big moving mid-pair dman like Petry, and a top 6 player like Tatar. We're not going to get a 3rd pick for them. But we should have moved on to accelerate our rebuild.
The longer we wait, the longer we're in this reset limbo.
agree to disagree; even if you've get 20 draft selections , you are still limited to the 50 pro contracts . Right now , Habs are going to deal or give up on few players because of the 50 players limit. And then you add the 14 draft selections of this summer ...
At that point, the Habs need to move up in the draft by trading 2-3 selections , or they need to trade for players in their entry level contract that are close to have a bigger role

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
based on ? Next deadline maybe , but during this summer ...

He never put them out there for discussion, so even if he was thinking about trading them and seeing what the offers were, he refused to do so.

All of the media that follows the Habs have confirmed they believe they can make the play-offs next year.
Marc Bergevin himself has paraded his excuses for why they missed this year.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
He never put them out there for discussion, so even if he was thinking about trading them and seeing what the offers were, he refused to do so.

All of the media that follows the Habs have confirmed they believe they can make the play-offs next year.
Marc Bergevin himself has paraded his excuses for why they missed this year.
come on WTK... i was talking about your assumption that they will have less value this summer

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
agree to disagree; even if you've get 20 draft selections , you are still limited to the 50 pro contracts . Right now , Habs are going to deal or give up on few players because of the 50 players limit. And then you add the 14 draft selections of this summer ...
At that point, the Habs need to move up in the draft by trading 2-3 selections , or they need to trade for players in their entry level contract that are close to have a bigger role
That's fine, not sure how it counters anything I said.
If Petry and Tatar yield returns that are better than it doesnt matter how many 4th and 5th round selections we make...we get rid of the bottom of the barrel to improve the top.
We could also package other assets.
We dont need to keep mediocre at best prospects around if we have a chance to improve on them.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
come on WTK... i was talking about your assumption that they will have less value this summer

If I rent a car for 3 months instead of 2, I will pay more.

And we know he isn't trading them in the Summer. So therefore, the only trade value possible now is them trading them at the deadline. Which will be less than the passed deadline and this summer.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Insert a caption:

upload_2020-5-13_17-50-4.png

Reactions: BLONG7

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
No draft in Montreal
Nhl looking to put 24 teams in playoffs (of course this bad team is 24th)
No lottery chances for Laffrenière
Can't trade all the stupid extra picks we got.
Petry Weber and Price aging still no plan.
No Ahl playoffs for the kids.
Trades for habs are gonna be way harder with no picks to be traded.

This is gonna be a great draft and another disaster in the next season when it starts.
Also inb4 we pick a bust because habs fans luck.

I expect the same roster minus the bad ufas leaving the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->