Marc Bergevin: Draft? Edition (XIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Is it me or is he morphing into Clancy Brown, look he even found a loyal dog.
D2dXCrcVYAAFPGG.jpg

Please don't ruin Clancy Brown for me!

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
I know I won't be liked for this one :

Really, he got full arms tattoos this summer? At 55 years old ? Does he thinks we're in 2010, I mean where's the fake tan? It's pretty much the last step to be cast on Jersey Shore.

We need a cerebral GM.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
I know I won't be liked for this one :

Really, he got full arms tattoos this summer? At 55 years old ? Does he thinks we're in 2010, I mean where's the fake tan? It's pretty much the last step to be cast on Jersey Shore.

We need a cerebral GM.

Comment on his work all you want, but there's really no point commenting on his look, it's none of your business.

Reactions: DAChampion

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Bergevin-PressConference(20/08/13)

“Julien is someone who works very closely with his assistants.

“With our series against Pittsburgh and again yesterday against the Flyers, I really believe this team is prepared.”

“We'll obviously miss Julien, but we've three coaches with head coaching experience. Muller in Carolina. Richardson in Binghamton. And Ducharme at the World Juniors. We've experienced people who'll work together. I honestly think we're ready and I'm looking forward to the game tomorrow at 3:00 PM.”

“We beat the Pittsburgh Penguins. And it’s not the coaches that beat them, it’s the players... We shocked a lot of people in winning the first series. And I expect us to raise to the occasion and keep on going.”

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
#Bergevin-PressConference(20/08/13)

“Julien is someone who works very closely with his assistants.

“With our series against Pittsburgh and again yesterday against the Flyers, I really believe this team is prepared.”

“We'll obviously miss Julien, but we've three coaches with head coaching experience. Muller in Carolina. Richardson in Binghamton. And Ducharme at the World Juniors. We've experienced people who'll work together. I honestly think we're ready and I'm looking forward to the game tomorrow at 3:00 PM.”

“We beat the Pittsburgh Penguins. And it’s not the coaches that beat them, it’s the players... We shocked a lot of people in winning the first series. And I expect us to raise to the occasion and keep on going.”
Bergevin done a good job building this team. Speed and hard work we are build on.

Youth starting to arrive in playoffs. Next season we may get more help from our farm system. Romanov and Juulsen should both be on team at start of season. Poehling may make the jump mid season. After half a year with Joel. Caufield may join at end of season.

All the extra picks in this draft should replace them in our system. This is deep draft

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I have to say that things are looking up for Bergevin.

Of his major acquisitions, all but Drouin are being impactful contributors. Weber, Domi, Danault, Petry, Suzuki, Tatar, are each helping out a lot. Chiarot, Kulak, Byron, Armia are helpful as well. But Weber is the captain and anchors the defense, Petry completed the defense, Suzuki is the first line C, Danault is an elite third line C, and Domi completes the offense. That's a lot.

Recent Habs-draftees like Lehkonen, Evans, Mete, and Kotkaniemi are contributing.

The center line might be the deepest it's been in the 21st century. Some might argue that Koivu-Plekanec-Lang was deeper ... Ok but they were older. Much older. And this one will be better.

Meanwhile, the Habs are in a good cap position.

Meanwhile, the Habs have one if the deeper farm systems in the NHL, are going to be adding 10+ picks, and finally have a great AHL coach.

Keep it up Bergevin.

Reactions: CHarlie and Toene

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Theres some bright spots and reason for optimism but you look at our bottom pair and our wingers and you know theres work to do.
Yeah but you know, this is a suck it haters win where everyone looks like reincarnations of Belliveau and Robinson, Price is still the straw that is stirring the drink.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yeah but you know, this is a suck it haters win where everyone looks like reincarnations of Belliveau and Robinson, Price is still the straw that is stirring the drink.

You learn pretty quickly to not to jump on the highs or the lows. Theres so much to still unpack in this series and these playoffs. I'm not convinced we have turned the corner, but we are playing well and there are elements at play for why we are.

I won't be surprised if the wheels come off but so long as KK and Suzuki impress, that is what matters as we are dead in the water if these guys dont pan out.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You learn pretty quickly to not to jump on the highs or the lows. Theres so much to still unpack in this series and these playoffs. I'm not convinced we have turned the corner, but we are playing well and there are elements at play for why we are.

I won't be surprised if the wheels come off but so long as KK and Suzuki impress, that is what matters as we are dead in the water if these guys dont pan out.
Both looked good today, I was blown away by KK, he looked like a possessed Amish man lol.

Reactions: Runner77

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Both looked good today, I was blown away by KK, he looked like a possessed Amish man lol.

He could use a good sniper on his wing that can also pass it. Gallagher is too shot focused and has limited vision so I dont like the thought of them together. I think Caufield is more destined for KK than Suzuki.

He should have more assists in this playoffs with a more natural finisher but we will get there hopefully.

Love that he is going to the net and being a handful around the net. The next step will be for him to learn when to roll out for a tip or come out and make himself available for a one timer. He went to the net on the four on four and never rotated out so it was just a 3 on 3 and you want him to get himself available to attack and create space and another option.

Reactions: Runner77

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
He tried to kill a flyers dman in the 3rd. I'm surprised he didn't get a penalty for charging even though he missed.

He's just reckless out there!

Bergevin kept saying his best trade was getting Weber and we can actually see it on the ice IMO. The guys are playing hard af and I'm pretty sure all this aggressiveness starts with having Weber and Chiarot on the back end punishing people 24/7.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
He's just reckless out there!

Bergevin kept saying his best trade was getting Weber and we can actually see it on the ice IMO. The guys are playing hard af and I'm pretty sure all this aggressiveness starts with having Weber and Chiarot on the back end punishing people 24/7.
Good trade but he's wrong : Pacioretty for Tatar, Suzuki, Norlinder and Leguerrier is his best work.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Good trade but he's wrong : Pacioretty for Tatar, Suzuki, Norlinder and Leguerrier is his best work.
That trade might be better in terms of talent acquired.

But Weber is really a philosophy kind of player. He's like that +1 morale/toughness/confidence for all the players on the team guy.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So here is a question to those who think we should rebuild 100%? Still think that with what you are seeing right now? Best strategy is keeping our vets and addressing the flaws. Being desperate to be the next Sabres is comical. Teams trip and fall down to that spot, you don't volunteer for it! :laugh:. Being open to trading guys like Patch but also being patient in the return is the smart plan. If Gallagher, Petry, Tatar, Danault, Amia want to stay... you tell them we are trying to build a contender and we have a salary cap... so if you stay, it's a fair deal to both the team and player... Max deals will not be tolerated! They are not Price lol

- Center appears to be fixed and a team strength moving forward. This is a huge factor for us

- Soft wingers is still an issue. No need to get desperate to unload them all but one or two moves where we add a power forward and a sniper will change things dramatically

- LD hole. Chiarot has filled one of those holes and more. He's Emelin in his prime but better! Romanov to fill the other hole.

Don't overlook the value Price and Weber bring to the table cause our team flaws have derailed our potential.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Depends on what he gets for Domi if we move him. Galchenyuk < Domi and then Domi > ???? :sarcasm:

But yeah, that patience in the Patch trade negotiations... Some need to apologize to Bergevin on that one

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
So here is a question to those who think we should rebuild 100%? Still think that with what you are seeing right now? Best strategy is keeping our vets and addressing the flaws. Being desperate to be the next Sabres is comical. Teams trip and fall down to that spot, you don't volunteer for it! :laugh:. Being open to trading guys like Patch but also being patient in the return is the smart plan. If Gallagher, Petry, Tatar, Danault, Amia want to stay... you tell them we are trying to build a contender and we have a salary cap... so if you stay, it's a fair deal to both the team and player... Max deals will not be tolerated! They are not Price lol

- Center appears to be fixed and a team strength moving forward. This is a huge factor for us

- Soft wingers is still an issue. No need to get desperate to unload them all but one or two moves where we add a power forward and a sniper will change things dramatically

- LD hole. Chiarot has filled one of those holes and more. He's Emelin in his prime but better! Romanov to fill the other hole.

Don't overlook the value Price and Weber bring to the table cause our team flaws have derailed our potential.

Win-lose situations are common in the movie, that fork in the road where one path leads to failure and the other path leads to success. Real life isn't like that. Sometimes, you have multiple option, and all of the options are terrible, or perhaps all of the options are good.

I'm glad that the Habs' players are fighting. But if Pittsburgh had been a better team and the Habs had drafted 1st or 9th, that would have been good as well.

I agree with your general assessment. This team can compete. The issues on defense can likely be improved from the farm system. The same farm system, however, is not as deep on forwards. The team needs one or two strong wingers and that will have to come either from UFA or from trades.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Win-lose situations are common in the movie, that fork in the road where one path leads to failure and the other path leads to success. Real life isn't like that. Sometimes, you have multiple option, and all of the options are terrible, or perhaps all of the options are good.

I'm glad that the Habs' players are fighting. But if Pittsburgh had been a better team and the Habs had drafted 1st or 9th, that would have been good as well.

I agree with your general assessment. This team can compete. The issues on defense can likely be improved from the farm system. The same farm system, however, is not as deep on forwards. The team needs one or two strong wingers and that will have to come either from UFA or from trades.

I'm really open to many different directions but picking one direction and ignoring others is the dump part. So many of our fan base have looked past our vets and are drooling over kids. I love how we improved our youth and prospect pool but with me, the best strategy I see is vets and youth mixed together! What are the Leafs really missing? Vets over 30. Yeah, imagine that eh? The decline years of players who are 30+? Avs? Do they have enough leadership? We are going to find out once it gets to final 8

We have some flaws to address yet but Chiarot and Romanov fix the LD issue and Suzuki and Kotkaniemi fix the center issue. One problem at a time I guess and fixing all of those at once is not probable. Next problem to fix a power forward and less soft wingers. Wait for it though... some in our fan base will think we need to get rid of all soft wingers now. NO :facepalm:

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Wait for it though... some in our fan base will think we need to get rid of all soft wingers now. NO :facepalm:

The remaining soft wingers will look a lot more effective if some stronger wingers are added to the mix.

We also don't know which of the players are playing injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->