Marc Bergevin : Attitude > Skill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Is that the exact same spot?

There is something mythical about the Montreal "ruelle". I spent my youth in the ruelles, it was our home away from home. Everything happened there.
Me too! Lived on D’Aragon street in Ville Emard in the early 80’s, spent my days in the“ruelles”. I go back there every few years to walk around and feel nostalgic, and relive memories.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Me too! Lived on D’Aragon street in Ville Emard in the early 80’s, spent my days in the“ruelles”. I go back there every few years to walk around and feel nostalgic, and relive memories.
I was born on 2nd ave in Verdun. Many years later, I lived on Argyle and would unconsciously walk down 2nd on my way to work. It was weird but comforting in a way.

Reactions: Runner77

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Could it possibly be that Timmins is running the Montreal Canadiens in the only way he possibly could? I mean, could Bergevin just be the phantom gm? Remember at the draft when Bergevin said "the moves we made today will benefit the future gm"? I hope I am right here.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Could it possibly be that Timmins is running the Montreal Canadiens in the only way he possibly could? I mean, could Bergevin just be the phantom gm? Remember at the draft when Bergevin said "the moves we made today will benefit the future gm"? I hope I am right here.

Sure if you can point to anyone in the Domi trade thread, the Reilly trade thread, or the Max threads leading up to the trade that said everything will turn out all right since TT is running the show.

I mean come on, as soon as a trade looks good or moves look good all of a sudden time to find someone to give the praise too LOL.

If you want to discuss Timmins, discuss it in relation to Dudley since thats the guy he replaced as AGM. Is he better AGM than Rick we can go back and forth, but MB is still the GM. Same when he made the PK trade, the Serge trade and now the Domi trade.

This TT is running the show seems like a popular conspiracy theory on here. Lets wait a few months when the Habs are at the bottom of the league and see how much legs this TT theory has :)

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Sure if you can point to anyone in the Domi trade thread, the Reilly trade thread, or the Max threads leading up to the trade that said everything will turn out all right since TT is running the show.

I mean come on, as soon as a trade looks good or moves look good all of a sudden time to find someone to give the praise too LOL.

If you want to discuss Timmins, discuss it in relation to Dudley since thats the guy he replaced as AGM. Is he better AGM than Rick we can go back and forth, but MB is still the GM. Same when he made the PK trade, the Serge trade and now the Domi trade.

This TT is running the show seems like a popular conspiracy theory on here. Lets wait a few months when the Habs are at the bottom of the league and see how much legs this TT theory has :)
For me at least I want to hope that things will take a turn in the right direction and I honestly haven't seen anything from Bergevin in the last 6 years that gave me any reason to believe that he had any intention to change. The team benched Bergevin's latest prized free agent acquisition and I believe are about to be done with him permanently, that is so unBergevin like. Timmins could never be a GM in a market like Montreal that demands a bilingual gm but what if he could be and the appearance of things could suggest otherwise? It has nothing to do with the record by the way, I could care less but the flow of things seems to be different this year.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
For me at least I want to hope that things will take a turn in the right direction and I honestly haven't seen anything from Bergevin in the last 6 years that gave me any reason to believe that he had any intention to change. The team benched Bergevin's latest prized free agent acquisition and I believe are about to be done with him permanently, that is so unBergevin like. Timmins could never be a GM in a market like Montreal that demands a bilingual gm but what if he could be and the appearance of things could suggest otherwise? It has nothing to do with the record by the way, I could care less but the flow of things seems to be different this year.

AGM is AGM, GM is GM. If you don't trust MB then we need another guy in there. Maybe one day Molson will grow a pair and put in a GM and or coach who doesn't speak french.

But MB is the guy in charge. Maybe TT is doing a better job than Dudly as AGM. Or maybe TT is a glorified coffee boy like people called MB's tenure as AGM in Chicago. We don't know. Personally I think TT is very talented and will probably excel in any role he is given.

I think that MB was very humbled by last year. Last year he was confrontational and had to much bravado. So I think he came into this year with a different perspective. Also the city seems to have accepted that this year could be a lost year so maybe MB didn't feel as much pressure.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
AGM is AGM, GM is GM. If you don't trust MB then we need another guy in there. Maybe one day Molson will grow a pair and put in a GM and or coach who doesn't speak french.

But MB is the guy in charge. Maybe TT is doing a better job than Dudly as AGM. Or maybe TT is a glorified coffee boy like people called MB's tenure as AGM in Chicago. We don't know. Personally I think TT is very talented and will probably excel in any role he is given.

I think that MB was very humbled by last year. Last year he was confrontational and had to much bravado. So I think he came into this year with a different perspective. Also the city seems to have accepted that this year could be a lost year so maybe MB didn't feel as much pressure.

Like Bergevin or not, I do think he listens to his team management support and their opinions more so now than before. He actually talked about this in recent interviews where he says he trusts his management team and is open minded. Might be some of the reasons why we had a decent off year this summer vs last summer.

I wonder what voice TT and Ducharme has in their management meetings? Having a fresh opinion like Ducharme in the mix is valuable IMO. I think Bergevin is willing to listen to a smart young hockey mind like him.... even if he is involved in coaching vs the GM side of things.

Dudley leaving is a good thing IMO! He likely just agreed with Bergevin anyways

Reactions: scrubadam

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

Well, the beauty of message board is that we can all have our own point of views on any topic. I just want to hope that things are not as you think they are and that I am right. One day might be now in one of the most clever ways they could ever pull it off. The coffee boy comment about Bergevin was a jab at his so called qualifications in relation to his moves as a habs gm.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Well, the beauty of message board is that we can all have our own point of views on any topic. I just want to hope that things are not as you think they are and that I am right. One day might be now in one of the most clever ways they could ever pull it off. The coffee boy comment about Bergevin was a jab at his so called qualifications in relation to his moves as a habs gm.

end of the day management is a team too. So if someone is giving new input/better input its still a colaboration. And one of the GM's job is to put the right people in place and listen to them. MB promoted TT, and if he is listening to his suggestions then MB is doing his job the right way. A GM can't be everywhere 24/7, so he needs a good team below him being his eyes and ears.

If things go well this year though that worries me about TT because many teams will grow a big interest in him. Dorion probably isn't going to survive much longer and TT is from the area I can see him being scooped up by the Sens in short order. Maybe its better we keep TT out of the spot light so no one decides to poach him from us.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

Watching this video does it feels like Timmins is making the decisions? Yeah right...

So Julien who's making double of Bergevin's salary is basically useless behind the bench and it's actually the GM who decides who's playing and who's not? Is that what you're trying to tell us?

Do you have more conspiracy theories? This is fun... :popcorn:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Do you also remember at the draft Timmins not being happy with Bergevin trading down because he was afraid the player they wanted wouldn't still? If Timmins was in charge that trade doesn't get made.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

Watching this video does it feels like Timmins is making the decisions? Yeah right...

So Julien who's making double of Bergevin's salary is basically useless behind the bench and it's actually the GM who decides who's playing and who's not? Is that what you're trying to tell us?

Do you have more conspiracy theories? This is fun... :popcorn:

Well, the beauty of a message board is that we can all have opinions and theories and maybe as you call them conspiracies and that's the fun of it all. You yourself swim against the tide 99 % of the time and there is room for you here just like everyone else. Didn't Bergevin did say that the decisions made on draft day were done for the future gm?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Well, the beauty of a message board is that we can all have opinions and theories and maybe as you call them conspiracies and that's the fun of it all. You yourself swim against the tide 99 % of the time and there is room for you here just like everyone else. Didn't Bergevin did say that the decisions made on draft day were done for the future gm?

Every GM in the league should operate like this IMO...

This is why I don't like Gainey, he tried to go all in with a bubble team and traded picks right and left without thinking about the future.

I didn't watch it.

Whenever you're ready...

Reactions: sharks9

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Every GM in the league should operate like this IMO...

This is why I don't like Gainey, he tried to go all in with a bubble team and traded picks right and left without thinking about the future.

Whenever you're ready...
I watched it and Bergevin called Timmins back when an offer was made in a trade and that could very well have been a collective decision by the two based on prior conversations with other teams that they had prior to the draft. Hopefully Bergevin is here now just for public relations purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad