Marc Bergevin: At the End o'da Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
There are contending and near contending teams loaded with young talent on the current roster now, with the same plan for their own prospects coming up. Nobody is waiting for the Habs to catch up. Plus every team in the league has a smarter Gm in place to guide the ship.

Habs are going nowhere. It will be all they can do just to stay above water.

Nobody was waiting for the Leafs to catch up either, or the Jets.....now they are the ones not waiting on anyone.

If our GM aid as dumb as you say, then we should yield a few more top 3 picks......so let’s say we have Poehling, then Kotkaniemi, then Cozens, then Lafreniere......you telling me that we will have made no progression??

Then we could add on two more years of good drafting 2nd round on, this is on top of the last two drafts who on the surface looks like two success stories.

I think we gonna do well....as long as we stay the course in the tank, we gonna do fine.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Nobody was waiting for the Leafs to catch up either, or the Jets.....now they are the ones not waiting on anyone.

If our GM aid as dumb as you say, then we should yield a few more top 3 picks......so let’s say we have Poehling, then Kotkaniemi, then Cozens, then Lafreniere......you telling me that we will have made no progression??

Then we could add on two more years of good drafting 2nd round on, this is on top of the last two drafts who on the surface looks like two success stories.

I think we gonna do well....as long as we stay the course in the tank, we gonna do fine.

I have two words and a conjunctive as an answer to your hopes. Galchenyuk and Sergachev. One was a 3rd OA and the other 9th. You see how he squandered those picks? What makes you think he won't do the same with Poehling, Kotka or Cozens or Lafren? there are no bounds to this man's ineptitude.

Reactions: Pickles and Bryson

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The fans of those teams, deserve a big kudos!! Supporting their teams to the end......very impressive. Sox, Pats, Celtics, Bruins...
That's more commendable than supporting a mismanaged team, and in any case, those teams had lean years prior to their recent successes.

And how did the management of those teams treat the fans in those lean years? Did they all put winning and the fans as their piority, or profit, or a lucky mix of both?

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
The habs have to stay out of the box, they can't spend all of their time in the box. The coach sadly has to wear it but getting pucks deep and to the net is the key.:laugh: I thought of the Therrien clip so many times.

It all makes sense now.

fml how was this guy ever a NHL coach he is so embarrassing what a mickey mouse franchise letting him coach for so many years. You would think they had someone relaying just how stupid he was.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I don't find this a difficult question to answer at all to be honest. Geoff signed him to a 5 year extension well before he had done anything to earn it, and now he's pinching pennies. I don't believe Molson believes in MB anymore either. Terrible way to operate imo, because he's causing irrevocable damage while filling out the last couple years before he gets canned. I knew Molson wouldn't fire him with that contract in place. I think we could be stuck with him again next year too.

Molson is the idiot who gave Bergevin that wholly unnecessary and undeserved contract. He is a bigger problem than Bergevin, and I'm honestly not sure why his partners tolerate his ineptitude. Molson shouldn't be within 10 miles of hockey ops.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I have two words and a conjunctive as an answer to your hopes. Galchenyuk and Sergachev. One was a 3rd OA and the other 9th. You see how he squandered those picks? What makes you think he won't do the same with Poehling, Kotka or Cozens or Lafren? there are no bounds to this man's ineptitude.
From Sergachev he got himself a former 3rd overall pick and Galchenyuk he got himself a younger former 12th overall.

Drouin had himself an off year playing in a role he hadn’t played since junior, no one will deny that. But are you really gonna judge the entire trade after one year?

Eller was traded to Washington and had himself his worst offensive output in like 4yrs on a much superior offensive team....FFWD to year two and he’s flourished.

Galchenyuk I liked a lot, sad to see him go.....but Domi has potential, let’s give him at least one game yes?

Reactions: JohnnyB11

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
From Sergachev he got himself a former 3rd overall pick and Galchenyuk he got himself a younger former 12th overall.

Drouin had himself an off year playing in a role he hadn’t played since junior, no one will deny that. But are you really gonna judge the entire trade after one year?

Eller was traded to Washington and had himself his worst offensive output in like 4yrs on a much superior offensive team....FFWD to year two and he’s flourished.

Galchenyuk I liked a lot, sad to see him go.....but Domi has potential, let’s give him at least one game yes?

I judged the Drouin trade from day one. Absolutely nothing to do with Drouin's play. His play only makes the trade worse. The Idiot traded from a position of weakness (left d) to acquire position of strength (wing). As if that wasn't stupid enough he moved that winger to center. And if you think it wasn't/isn't a stupid move, the Idiot himself admitted in a pc 6 months later that in an ideal world Drouin is not a center.

As for the Galchenyuk trade I like both Chucky and Domi but Max is a winger and if the Idiot was so dead set on getting rid of Galchenyuk how about packaging him for a center - something we've needed for decades.

I tend to exaggerate in this forum but when it comes to MB screwing up with those top picks you mentioned I don't exaggerate. I think I down play it.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Jonathan Drouin is a former 3rd overall pick, as in he was regarded as the 3rd best player of the 2013 draft back in June 2013. Nobody regards him that highly today.

I mean hello:
2013 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com
Would anyone argue that Drouin is the 3rd best player from that group?

So it's disingenuous to refer to him as a former 3rd overall. It contrasts to Galchenyuk and Sergachev, whose respective ranks hold up a lot better with hindsight.

ETA: I remember that some smart people were saying that Alexander Wennberg deserved to be considered for a high selection. They were right.

Reactions: Runner77 and Bryson

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Jonathan Drouin is a former 3rd overall pick, as in he was regarded as the 3rd best player of the 2013 draft back in June 2013. Nobody regards him that highly today.

I mean hello:
2013 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com
Would anyone argue that Drouin is the 3rd best player from that group?

So it's disingenuous to refer to him as a former 3rd overall. It contrasts to Galchenyuk and Sergachev, whose respective ranks hold up a lot better with hindsight.

ETA: I remember that some smart people were saying that Alexander Wennberg deserved to be considered for a high selection. They were right.
To play devil's advocate, concerning Wennberg, are you talking about third overall high? Like he's better than Drouin? If that's the case, I disagree, grass is greener on the other side of the fence type of thing.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
To play devil's advocate, concerning Wennberg, are you talking about third overall high? Like he's better than Drouin? If that's the case, I disagree, grass is greener on the other side of the fence type of thing.

Higher than 14th overall.

Top 3 might be Seth Jones, Nathan McKinnon, and Aleksander Barkov.

Reactions: Chris Cutter

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
But I can see bozovin drawing up this plan in crayon on a napkin in his office.

2g4ez8.jpg

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
On the fan 590 in Toronto last week the first question the host asked a Montreal reporter was "how does Marc Bergevin still have a job"

We've been featuring the same question here, several years over now. Talk about the 590 Trana boys being late to the program.

Reactions: PaulD

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

What about Drouin's attitude, irrespective of where he was used last year? He was immediately given the long term deal he wanted upon arriving. Did he show up every game?

Bergevin wants to eradicate attitude issues. Do we understand that Drouin has no issues in this department? He's the anti-thesis of the right attitude but you know, he's not Galchenyuk The Scapegoat, so it won't matter.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Bull****. Nobody gives a crap if we rebuild or not, every single fan I talk to is completely okay with rebuilding. I have yet to meet anybody who told me they will stop watching/following if they do a rebuild.
This idea that montreal can't rebuild is pure fabrication by the organization/media. It all depends on where the team is. The first talk of a rebuild was in 2009, and many didn't want to because we had a strong team in 07-08. The idea of rebuilding when we were just becoming good again wasn't appealing. There were also a lot more interesting UFAs back in those days, you had plenty of good players like Cammy or Hossa hitting the market. Despite the crap years back then, we were still a PO bubble team, so people wanted to add some.
We are in a completely different situation right now.

He's not rebuilding anything. He's getting random players, he's just filling up a team.

We aren't winning jack crap if Gallagher and Drouin amount to 50% of our foundation.

We can draft McDavid, as long as we have a complete bozo in charge, we won't have a solid team.
Time for you to realize Bergevin never built a solid team, he came in, mostly let guys go, watched the guys he inherited lead the team to the top of conference, and he rode that wave for 3 years, until it started crashing down and boy has been crashing hard.
The idea that he'll build a solid team because we draft high is completely unfounded. He's been a massive failure and he will keep failing.
You’re in good form. Typhoon turned left as usual I hear.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Drouin and Domi are 9th and 10th in points for their draft. There were some good players, but the dropoff is pretty quick. Andrighetto is only a few names further down the list. Galchenyuk is still tied for first in points for his draft year. In both cases there are defenders who could slot in ahead. Judging Drouin by his draft position is generous. Drouin was drafted too early, Sergachev too late.

On the other hand bringing up Debrincat and Girard in the Shaw trade is a bit ridiculous. Pick any other players and the trade looks really good, what are the chances? Sure there were some great picks on the board but there are in most drafts and only one or two teams find them. Try sorting the hockeydb draft lists by points, there aren't that many later picks near the top. Getting Gallagher and Subban was good. Even Andrighetto and Lekhonen are up there relative to draft position. I don't know why Andrighetto got so little respect here. Same with Carr. Crappy coaching staff and pro scouting I guess.

Bergevin's trades were bad but really how many trades have the habs won since '93? Kovalev? Huet and Bonk? A few minor ones? Most of the trades over the last two and a half decades are about getting rid of players not about acquiring players. The few players who were intentionally acquired are guys like Drouin and Quintal where the local factor works but the players are just OK. Bergevin has more ego than brains but there is organizational consistency. I doubt firing MB will help more than firing Houle did. The mindset has to change. Owners have changed, GMs and coaches have come and gone (and come back, and gone again...). Are there some incompetent fools in the back offices busily screwing things up? Is it all about hiring old school guys (why the US keeps winning cups, less old school guys)? Is it a coincidence?

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Although I agree with most of your post, I think you're wrong on this point. Montreal is a terrible sports town. Great for events like the Jazz Fest and Just For Laughs, that last a short period of time but when it comes to loyalty over the long haul forget it. Just go look at the Als, Impact and lest we forget the Expos.

Quite honestly Montrealers are delusional. They believe they live in the best of cities when in fact Montreal doesn't even rank as one of the best in Canada. In international surveys Montreal constantly falls behind T.O., Vancouver and it's even starting to trail Calgary. Hab fans have latched on to the Canadiens glorious history and that's what's keeping them still interested in the Habs. But Even the Canadiens can't survive three, four years of bottom feeding. The fans will turn away. A spotty record of two playoff years with one non-playoff year they can put up with.

Look at a city like Boston that has a comparable population. They have the big five leagues: MLB, NBA, NFL, MLS, NHL. None of their teams are rumoured to go under. Well when the Molsons were trying to sell the team in the late 90s no one wanted to buy it except for a stray Yank.

Everyone you spoke to wouldn't mind a rebuild. That's anecdotal not very scientific. I'll bet you my dollars to your donuts, Molson has had a number of surveys conducted where they asked the fans if they would put up with a 3-4 year rebuild in other words being a bottom feeding team. The answer probably scared the crap out of Molson.

We get the teams we deserve. Maybe not the guys that come onto this forum but be honest with yourself. The guys who come to this forum are not representative of the Hab fans. The typical Hab fan will desert this team quicker than a rat will desert a sinking ship.
What crap. Montreal is one of the most beautiful cities in North America. Toronto is trash. I’ve worked all over the world as an architect. Your post is entirely ignorant.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I judged the Drouin trade from day one. Absolutely nothing to do with Drouin's play. His play only makes the trade worse. The Idiot traded from a position of weakness (left d) to acquire position of strength (wing). As if that wasn't stupid enough he moved that winger to center. And if you think it wasn't/isn't a stupid move, the Idiot himself admitted in a pc 6 months later that in an ideal world Drouin is not a center.

As for the Galchenyuk trade I like both Chucky and Domi but Max is a winger and if the Idiot was so dead set on getting rid of Galchenyuk how about packaging him for a center - something we've needed for decades.

I tend to exaggerate in this forum but when it comes to MB screwing up with those top picks you mentioned I don't exaggerate. I think I down play it.
Good points

Reactions: Runner77

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
What crap. Montreal is one of the most beautiful cities in North America. Toronto is trash. I’ve worked all over the world as an architect. Your post is entirely ignorant.

Yup. Toronto is a distant 3rd/4th behimd Vancouver and Montreal. I enjoyed Calgary and the Maritimes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->