Marc-Andre Fleury

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014
Gotta have some major individual awards. MAF has NONE, that's going to hurt his case

They don't hold forwards or d men to that standard, no individual awards for Recchi, was never even a finalist. I know they've been tight on letting goaltenders in, but in the next 10 to 15 years or so we'll see players like Price, Quick, Luongo, Lundqvist, Rask, Rinne - all those guys should finish up with 400 to 550 career wins, and in most cases hardware to go with it, they'll all get reasonable consideration.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
They don't hold forwards or d men to that standard, no individual awards for Recchi, was never even a finalist. I know they've been tight on letting goaltenders in, but in the next 10 to 15 years or so we'll see players like Price, Quick, Luongo, Lundqvist, Rask, Rinne - all those guys should finish up with 400 to 550 career wins, and in most cases hardware to go with it, they'll all get reasonable consideration.

We're going to disagree here
Hard to get in as a goalie, period. Without those individual awards he's virtually got no chance. He needs a Conn Smythe to even sniff it

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Do you think Luongo gets in?

Luongo is probably a good comparable. I had to look up if he had any individual hardware and the answer is no. From Wiki:

He has additionally been a finalist for the Vezina Trophy as the league's best goaltender (2004, 2007 and 2011), the Lester B. Pearson Award as the top player voted by his peers (2004 and 2007) and the Hart Memorial Trophy as the league's most valuable player (2007).[2][3]

So I don't think Luongo gets in either. But if he does, perhaps the voters take into consideration he was a multiple finalist for the Vezina and Hart? I personally wouldn't put Luongo in the Hall

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The Pens fan in me does get a chuckle at how quickly Fleury to the Hall of Fame went from laughably insulting to an inevitability...but a beloved accumulator with rings (1 is his alone and 1 isn't won without him, so even if that 3rd ring gets tossed aside he still has his fingerprints all over 2 championships) is most certainly a buyable candidate.

Rogie Vachon just got in, the standards can change when a guy is beloved by the voters. He had to wait a really long time, but he still made it in. Fleury isn't going to be a first balloter, but if he tops 500 wins I really can't see him in the Hall.

Reactions: radapex

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Maybe this has been said already but goalies have a really tough time getting into the HOF. MAF isn’t even a top 5 goalie from his era. He ain’t getting in.

Already a prolific winner, there is no reason to believe MAF won't end his career with the most playoff wins of any goalie in history. He will be HOF.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Chris Osgood barely hit 400 wins. MAF is already past that mark at 33 years old. If he decides to play another 5 years and stays relatively healthy, he should hit 500 fairly easily and there are only 2 other goalies that have hit that mark ever. Roy and Brodeur. Like it or not, but a guy who has 3 Cups (big hand in 2 of them) and hypothetically speaking, 500+ wins is getting into the hall. I wouldn't put him in 1st ballot (and I'm a Pens diehard) but he'll absolutely get in if he finishes his career 3rd all time in wins. Especially if he can continue to have a few more Vezina caliber years in Vegas. You can save this post for 10-12 years down the road.

Agreed. I'm not sure he deserves to be there, but I'm pretty confident that if he hits 500+ wins that he will eventually get there.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Agreed. I'm not sure he deserves to be there, but I'm pretty confident that if he hits 500+ wins that he will eventually get there.

Still don't think Wins is enough considering they are easier to get with the SO/post lockout era

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Still don't think Wins is enough considering they are easier to get with the SO/post lockout era

Getting to 500 is not easy. It's only been done twice, ever. Luongo might get there. But he's pushing 40 so there's guarantee he'll play much longer, if at all. He needs 29 more which will take him 2 more seasons of backing up, at a minimum. Lundqvist will probably get there as he's 69 away. But again, not a lock. He'd need 34.5 over the next 2 seasons and the Rangers aren't very good right now.

With what we saw out of MAF this year, coupled with him only being 33, I'd say the chances are very strong he gets to 515-525, possibly higher if he remains healthy.

Reactions: radapex and Riptide

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Sad thing is, if Fleury doesn't miss time earlier this season with a concussion, we are talking about the Vezina right now for him. Maybe next year he gets it. Get that hardware and I think he's got a very good shot at the hall. He's not young exactly, but theres no reason he can't play another 5 years in this league.

Reactions: radapex

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Already a prolific winner, there is no reason to believe MAF won't end his career with the most playoff wins of any goalie in history. He will be HOF.
What? Fleury needs 87 more wins to beat Roy's record. It will never happen.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Chris Osgood barely hit 400 wins. MAF is already past that mark at 33 years old. If he decides to play another 5 years and stays relatively healthy, he should hit 500 fairly easily and there are only 2 other goalies that have hit that mark ever. Roy and Brodeur. Like it or not, but a guy who has 3 Cups (big hand in 2 of them) and hypothetically speaking, 500+ wins is getting into the hall. I wouldn't put him in 1st ballot (and I'm a Pens diehard) but he'll absolutely get in if he finishes his career 3rd all time in wins. Especially if he can continue to have a few more Vezina caliber years in Vegas. You can save this post for 10-12 years down the road.

I'll be more than happy to revisit this in 10 years. He's simply not getting in on wins alone. It's a team stat more than anything. Like the Jennings Trophy. Osgood's win totals were really impressive when he retired because most of his career was played before shootouts. Win totals are not what they once were. Besides that, he is not a top 5 goalie from his era. Heck, the greatest era for goaltending is arguably the 90's and even then, we only have 4 goalies from that time in the HOF. Roy, Brodeur, Hasek, and Belfour. No Vernon, Richter, Barrasso, Joseph, Vanbiesbrouck, Hextall, Osgood, etc. It is really tough for goalies to get in. Fleury would have to compete with Lundqvist, Quick, Luongo, Bobrovsky, Rinne, Price, Thomas, Rask, Miller, Holtby, Kiprusoff, etc. How many of those guys can you honestly say Fleury is better than? The highest he's ever reached in Vezina voting is 7th. He just isn't at the top of his era.

Last edited:

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
Except 2009.
Oh and you know, last year.
Oh and this year, being the defacto Superstar in Vegas and leader.

oh wow he was good (not great) in the playoffs almost a decade ago, i think it was among the worst save percentage for a cup winning goalie ever

last year he won 9, you need 16 to claim the cup

this year we are still in the first round and the kings stink

but hey keep up the fanboying, you got plenty of company around this town, people acting like he died when he got traded

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
guy that was considered a weak link for years

pens fans always went into every series thinking "i hope fleury doesn't lose it for us"

with murray in net i am so much more relaxed watching, and you know what so are his teammates

sound like a hall of famer to you?

he is proof being likable is sometimes more important than being competent, the excuses are ridiculous

if fleury worked a 9 - 5 job he would show up late and be incompetent, but would get away with it because everybody likes him

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It's amazing how many "Pen fans" come out of the wood work come playoff time, or to simply bash a player. Maybe that's a blessing, as in that we don't have to listen to this all year long? :shakehead

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->