Marc-Andre Fleury ties Glenn Hall for 10th in all time wins

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Yeah, nothing like the stacked line-up of a first year expansion team! Going 29-13 on such a club is so easy, any goalie could.... Oh, wait, no goalie has ever done it.

Lord knows it had nothing to do with teams (Florida) giving them crazy talent like Marchessault and Smith.

Or them finishing T-3rd in the league in GF.

He is a poor man's Osgood at best

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
See, I don't get that at all. M-A. Fleury is the Rodney Dangerfield of NHL goalies.

Osgood was named 2nd-team All Star once in 1996, when his team got 131 pre-shootout points, and the 'back-up' (Vernon) went 21-7. But anyway, I guess he has that one small nod over Fleury, career-wise (although come to think of it, how did Fleury not get an All Star nod last season?). But other than that...?

They each have a couple of Stanley Cups as regular and/or starting goalies, and each has three in total. Their won-lost records are similar. Their playoff save-percentages are similar.

The difference, as I see it, is that in each's first season away from their long-term stacked and successful teams, Osgood in 2002-03 was a trainwreck, whereas Fleury in 2017-18 was incredible and proved that he can backstop a team to the Finals without a great, stacked team in front of him.

I do think they're vaguely comparable, but I'm taking Fleury every time if I have to choose.

Reactions: allevat

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I think you've misunderstood my post. Yes, Fleury was the first piece of the Penguins' rebuild (although lol at the idea that he "saved" them, I'm pretty sure Malkin and Crosby did that), but he was also widely considered one of the biggest playoff chokers of all time.
No he was a scapegoat for your superstars not making the cup finals. You all could not have been happier to get rid of him and he went and played lights out last year.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
No he was a scapegoat for your superstars not making the cup finals. You all could not have been happier to get rid of him and he went and played lights out last year.

It turns out it's not hard to make someone a scapegoat when they put up a save percentage in the 800s for 4 years in a row. That being said, I'm not sure you've followed the situation that closely, because most of your post is completely inaccurate. Pittsburgh fans (not me, but most of them) were absolutely devastated when Fleury was left exposed in the draft, to the point that many yinzers refuse to give Matt Murray credit for his role in winning two Cups for the Penguins. Fleury did have a good season last year, when he wasn't on IR, but he did his usual disappearing act in the Final.

Bowski

Why did you wake me up from my nap?
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Lord knows it had nothing to do with teams (Florida) giving them crazy talent like Marchessault and Smith.

Or them finishing T-3rd in the league in GF.

He didn't play behind a Lidstrom most of his career (LOL @ Islanders years), or let in highlight blue line goals over and over either (though there were some awful classics, but none that sucked as much as Ozzy).
Shaky behind a shaky defense. Osgood was mostly below average stuff behind a HOF D compared to MAF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->