Marc-Andre Fleury Appreciation

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
The Knights as a team look better with him in net as well

Part of that I honestly believe is love. They want to play their best in front of him. Part of it has to do with how skilled he is at turning a save into a push the other direction, either directly, or by finding a clear defender to deflect it to.

Reactions: bukwas

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
He’s better than Lehner ever will be and he’s first ballot HoF.
Oh-Wait-Youre-Serious_o_97195.gif

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I've never said one bad thing about him. Other than seeing he had a low trade value as some would believe his contract isn't that desirable in terms of cost.

I honestly believe he'll be in the HHOF one day.

LGBlues

Feb 25, 2014
I still can't forgive him for ruining some of the Pens prime playoff years.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I've never said one bad thing about him. Other than seeing he had a low trade value as some would believe his contract isn't that desirable in terms of cost.

I honestly believe he'll be in the HHOF one day.
It is very possible that he makes the HOF based on his win totals alone. That and the Cups are his best shot. Maybe if they see his cup run in Vegas as a special addition to his resume, though that is probably going to be secondary.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Part of that I honestly believe is love. They want to play their best in front of him. Part of it has to do with how skilled he is at turning a save into a push the other direction, either directly, or by finding a clear defender to deflect it to.
And all of the above reasona Knights are better with MAF in. Lehner is a darn good back up.
This might be their year!

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
It is very possible that he makes the HOF based on his win totals alone. That and the Cups are his best shot. Maybe if they see his cup run in Vegas as a special addition to his resume, though that is probably going to be secondary.

Never said first-ballot. Only way I see him being a first-ballot is if there's not a lot of players to induct and have been waiting and he just happens to be there. At the least it'll be like how Ed Belfour got into the HHOF.

But one thing people keep forgetting, and because he was a third-string goaltender, was that he got an Olympic Gold Medal. That, three cups, 400+ wins has to get you in. If that doesn't I don't know what else does.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Never said first-ballot. Only way I see him being a first-ballot is if there's not a lot of players to induct and have been waiting and he just happens to be there. At the least it'll be like how Ed Belfour got into the HHOF.

But one thing people keep forgetting, and because he was a third-string goaltender, was that he got an Olympic Gold Medal. That, three cups, 400+ wins has to get you in. If that doesn't I don't know what else does.
I never said first-ballot, either.

Reactions: DudeWhereIsMakar

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Which speaks lengths of how inconsistent he is in his game. When he's hot, he's great. When he's cold, teams want to give up on him, because he can be THAT unreliable.

Pittsburgh gave him away in the draft. They BEGGED Vegas to take him. Then Vegas wanted to replace him with Lehner and just get rid of him.

Fleury ON: He's a top tier goalie
Fleury OFF: The GM looks for his shovel

That doesn't exactly smell like HHOF material to me. Too much OFF if all franchices he has played for have genuinely doubted him to THAT extent. His lowest capacity kills his consistency. Again, not HHOF. He has been fortunate enough to play for two very good teams. On a mediocre to bad team, it probably would've been much worse.
On the flip side, the guy has been a starter in the NHL for almost 17 years. The only times he's started in less than 50% of his team's games have been his rookie season (2003-04) and the seasons he suffered long-term injuries (high ankle sprain in 2007-08, concussion in 2016-17). Clearly Pittsburgh and Vegas though he was reliable enough, or he'd have never had that kind of staying power. And really, after what we've seen from Murray and Jarry, there is definitely something to be said for knowing you've got consistently reliable goaltending (over the course of the season) year after year after year.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
He was so bad in between cups in Pittsburgh. It’s a bit surprising to see him dominate now after he played so poorly at times. It got so bad that he had to see a sports shrink.

He always seemed like a good guy. Good for him.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Sure. But most of them are not talked about like they're lock for HOF, unless your name is Roberto Luongo or Henrik Lundqvist.
Who have both played to one Stanley Cup final (not five) and lost. Where Bobby Lou choked big time.

But yea, three great goalies.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Flower is in. Bet on it.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
He’s better than Lehner ever will be and he’s first ballot HoF.

Ehhhh

It's a very hectic schedule for the next month, so depending on when Lehner is back, MAF will be fatigued again and his play will probably decline. Lehner will need to return to form (or just plain return) in the next 3 weeks.

Obviously Lehner has lost his starter position for the time being.

ETA: Dansk is playing in the AHL Wed & Friday so it appears Lehner is set to return.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Who have both played to one Stanley Cup final (not five) and lost. Where Bobby Lou choked big time.

But yea, three great goalies.
So you believe Fleury is better than both those goaltenders based on the fact he has dressed for five Stanley Cup Finals, alone?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
So you believe Fleury is better than both those goaltenders based on the fact he has dressed for five Stanley Cup Finals, alone?
Nope. I believe he is going to the Hall based on all his wins and play off success.

And if you can cut up his melt down. I can cut up Luongo choking in his only Stanley Cup final. Something Fleury never did in any his Stanley Cup finals.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Nope. I believe he is going to the Hall based on all his wins and play off success.

And if you can cut up his melt down. I can cut up Luongo choking in his only Stanley Cup final. Something Fleury never did in any his Stanley Cup finals.
Fleury posted a .853 save percentage in the 2018 Stanley Cup Finals. Including a .739 save percentage in game 4 where the team was down 2-1 in the series. He did not post over a .900 save percentage in a single game of that series.

If that isn't "choking", what would you call that?

Reactions: heysmilinstrange

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Fleury posted a .853 save percentage in the 2018 Stanley Cup Finals. Including a .739 save percentage in game 4 where the team was down 2-1 in the series. He did not post over a .900 save percentage in a single game of that series.

If that isn't "choking", what would you call that?
Yea, those are low numbers for him. But he wasn't getting 8 a night blown by him like Luongo in his ONLY finals

But MAF still going to the hall and still has three rings.

How many Booby Lou and King Henry have?

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I hate MAF the player. Despise the player. Whether that is a rational feeling to have; I don’t care.

Seems like a nice guy though.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Yea, those are low numbers for him. But he wasn't getting 8 a night blown by him like Luongo in his ONLY finals

But MAF still going to the hall and still has three rings.

How many Booby Lou and King Henry have?
Okay, so now it isn't just that he has never choked, it is that he never had such a bad single game as Luongo's game 3 (funny how you say getting 8 goals by him a night as if he regularly did that in the finals, talk about dishonest).

Fleury has one cup ring as a starter. Yes, winning a cup as a starter is important. Yes, Fleury played a number of games in the 2017 playoffs, but eventually lost the starting job after allowing 4 goals on 9 shots against the Senators in game 3 of the Eastern Conference Finals, putting the team down 2-1 in the series (a series that eventually went to game 7). Let's not pretend like Fleury is just a "big game goalie" who never has played poorly in important games.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Okay, so now it isn't just that he has never choked, it is that he never had such a bad single game as Luongo's game 3 (funny how you say getting 8 goals by him a night as if he regularly did that in the finals, talk about dishonest).

Fleury has one cup ring as a starter. Yes, winning a cup as a starter is important. Yes, Fleury played a number of games in the 2017 playoffs, but eventually lost the starting job after allowing 4 goals on 9 shots against the Senators in game 3 of the Eastern Conference Finals, putting the team down 2-1 in the series (a series that eventually went to game 7). Let's not pretend like Fleury is just a "big game goalie" who never has played poorly in important games.
Want to to cherry pick.
Luongo lost at home 4-0 in game 7 finals. Stunk.

Was horrible in all 3 games in Boston. Lit up for 17 goals ! lol CHOKE

Fleury in his first appearance in the finals? Against the defending Stanley Cup Champs. Was excellent. Game saving high light reel save on Lidstrom in the dieing seconds to preserve the 2-1 win. It dont get any better than that for a goalie. CA-CHING !

Last edited:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Even through the bad periods, I always loved the guy and never wanted him to leave Pittsburgh. I don't know how likely it is that he'd ever get to return, but I'd love to see it.

Reactions: fragmag

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Want to to cherry pick.
Luongo lost at home 4-0 in game 7 finals. Stunk.

Was horrible in all 3 games in Boston. Lit up for 17 goals ! lol CHOKE

Fleury in his first appearance in the finals? Against the defending Stanley Cup Champs. Was excellent. Game saving high light reel save on Lidstrom in the dieing seconds to preserve the 2-1 win. It dont get any better than that for a goalie. CA-CHING !
You are just rambling at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->