Injury Report: Mar. 4: Emery (groin); Cal Heeter recalled again from Adirondack

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
The Philadelphia Flyers announced that they have recalled goaltender Cal Heeter from their AHL affiliate, the Adirondack Phantoms, on an emergency basis tonight and that Flyers goaltender Ray Emery is day-to-day with a lower body injury, according to GM Paul Holmgren.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=706968&navid=DL|PHI|home

According to a report, the injury is a groin.

Heeter wore 33 in camp.

flyerscalheeterusa.jpg

Source photo: USA Today Images (Sep. 16, 2013)

Last edited:

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Sucks for Emery but I'm really happy for Heeter. He, as well as the whole team in ADK, have been struggling mightily recently but before that Heeter was actually leading the league in SV%.

Considering he went undrafted this must be surreal for him. Hope he gets a game in, for his sake but also to see if perhaps he's a legit candidate to back-up Mason next season.

Considering there's a back to back coming up with less then 24hrs between starts, he might just get a start.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
^ This is a descriptive article from a past point in time:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/fee...hawks-flyers-anaheim-ducks-avascular-necrosis

THE REMOVAL

On April 1, 2010, Emery had surgery that could have ended his career. Really, it should have.

He was suffering from a condition in his hip called avascular necrosis (AVN). The bone at the head of his femur, which fits into to the hip, was dead because of a lack of bloodflow and the more he used it, the more it flattened.

“People would say it’s a square peg in a round hole,” said Duke University’s Dr. David Ruch, who performed the surgery.

It was painful. And it wasn’t getting better.

Emery played 29 games with the Flyers during the 2009-10 season, going 16-11-1 with a 2.64 goals-against average. His hip was slowly deteriorating the entire time.

“Once it collapses, you’re done,” Ruch said. “It was a critical time for him. He could have played on that season with the Flyers and it would have collapsed and that would have been it.”

The solution wasn’t any more pleasant. The corrective surgery replaces the dead bone with living bone -- in this case, bone from the middle section of Emery’s fibula. Surgery meant the removal of dead bone from Emery’s hip and the extraction of healthy bone from his leg. It also involves cutting through muscle just to get to the femur.

“You can imagine, for a hockey goalie, that wouldn’t be good,” Ruch said.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I don't remember; what I do recall is that his hip problems also caused groin problems as his muscles tried to compensate, and that apparently helped hide the underlying issue.

The thing is, doctors didn't have a reason to suspect a necrotic hip the first time around, but one would expect that they would focus in on it with any sort of lower-body discomfort now.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I would rather Heeter be the backup next year. Emery is too expensive for what he can do.

ericWONT

Ron Hakstol
Feb 7, 2014
Delaware/Philly
I would rather Heeter be the backup next year. Emery is too expensive for what he can do.

+1.

Emery is obviously a pretty good goalie, but his talent just doesn't match how much we're shelling out for a backup, at that.

Heeter could be a pretty decent backup, but I'd like to see him take the net at least a few times in the NHL before I'm sure about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad