Maple Leafs TV Broadcast

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'm trying to wrap my head around a few things regarding Regional and (specifically) National blackouts in regards to the Maple Leafs.

I've read alot of sites explaining it; but still have an issue getting a direct answer.

So let's say;
I'm a leaf fan living outside the Maple Leafs region and want to watch all the games.

-I buy NHLtv app or whatever center ice is called now
-I dont have satellite or any other provider.. just the NHL app
- From what I gather, i should be able to view all the regional maple leafs games fine?

However, when the games are Nationally broadcasted... are they blacked out from NHLtv?

So other than stealing a stream from a national provider.. how do people view all 82 games?

Or am I reading all this wrong?

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
If it's a nationally televised game it means it is broadcasted nationally (ie. You have a way to watch it either through cable TV or a Sportsnet subscription).

NHL Centre Ice and NHL GameCentre (app) are for out of market games not available in your region.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I'm trying to wrap my head around a few things regarding Regional and (specifically) National blackouts in regards to the Maple Leafs.

I've read alot of sites explaining it; but still have an issue getting a direct answer.

So let's say;
I'm a leaf fan living outside the Maple Leafs region and want to watch all the games.

- From what I gather, i should be able to view all the regional maple leafs games fine?

However, when the games are Nationally broadcasted... are they blacked out from NHLtv?

So other than stealing a stream from a national provider.. how do people view all 82 games?

If out of region, you mean the other half of Ontario, Or if outside of Ontario you get the regional games. National games I think you need Sportsnet, or rabbit ears for CBC.

Edit: your location shows Oshawa on profile, if correct your not getting regional or National on NHL.tv

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Pro tip...

images

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes

So let's say;

I live in NB.. over the past 15 years, the NHL has changed our region from Montreal, to Toronto, to Montreal. I've seen other maritime provinces go from Ottawa to Toronto. The NHL blackout is out of date, and is poorly implemented. That said once an area you live in is assigned to a team other than Toronto (let's say Ottawa), then you can not watch a Toronto vs Ottawa that is done by the TSN Toronto crew in the NHL Live app. You have to watch the broadcast from the Ottawa broadcast crew in the NHL Live app/website.

With every version of NHL package (Centre Ice, Rogers GCL, NHL Live.) they always seem to screw one of the first games up a season and block both broadcasts. Pre-season is really weird too, some games get blacked out. No idea why. As for CBC/SN Saturday night, 90% of national games are the free game of the day/week anyway. If they are not, it doesn't matter, they are always available to watch.I can't recall a single time a national game was blacked out in the regular season.

I've had one form of the NHL package for the past decade.. In the past say 5 years maybe I average 1 game a preseaon/season that is oddly blacked out. In those times I VPN

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Thanks for the answers guys.

My main idea is to not have cable/sat at all and get NHLtv or center ice. ( I'm outside of the maple leafs umbrella) I'm mainly worried about those National games... because I wont even have the national channels.

How does someone in another country all together watch the national games if they dont subscribe to SN/TSN or CBC?

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland

My main idea is to not have cable/sat at all and get NHLtv or center ice. ( I'm outside of the maple leafs umbrella) I'm mainly worried about those National games... because I wont even have the national channels.

How does someone in another country all together watch the national games if they dont subscribe to SN/TSN or CBC?

You can watch Hockey Night In Canada Saturday Nights for free.Just download the CBC Sports App.

Reactions: TMLFC

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
When my TV provider was down, I did try the Rogers NHL (month to month) and still found quite a few of the Leafs were blacked out (and I am in the Leafs region), then I discovered the joys of a VPN.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I live outside the Leafs region... always have.

With no cable sub this is what you are looking at:

- Regional Games will be on NHL Live (these are Mon, Tue, Thu and Fri games on SNO and TSN)
- National Games on Saturday will be on SN and/or CBC. Leafs games have generally been available on CBC, so if you get that app (free) you can stream these games. ** If the game is on SN only, this will not work (see below)
- National Games on Wednesday & Sunday will be on SN. Leafs play many Wednesdays and a few Sundays per season. These are not playable on NHL Live as far as I know and require a sub to SN. They have an online version called SN Now

There are other streaming options and as someone mentioned some VPN options as well. If you will not have a cable sub, you will either have to try those out or pay for the SN Now subscription (which I find is expensive if you only want it for the Leafs games).

I buy the Centre Ice package... costs a bit but well worth it

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

If you don't live in Canada, the national games are considered out of market so are available on NHLtv/Centre Ice.

You should be able to be have all Leaf games on NHLtv/Centre Ice if you don't live in Canada. The only possible exception I can think of is if you live in the US and a leaf game happens to be a nationally broadcast game down there.

Reactions: TMLFC

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Or get yourself an iptv box and watch all of the games always. I live in BC and have gone from ordering the cable package to the online package to pirating through Reddit streams and for this season I’m going the iptv route

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Or get yourself an iptv box and watch all of the games always. I live in BC and have gone from ordering the cable package to the online package to pirating through Reddit streams and for this season I’m going the iptv route

That doesn’t help HRR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad