Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs sign Jordan Subban, Adam Cracknell - Resign Martin Marincin

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Jordan Subban has a nice offensive skillset, I was very impressive when ever he played against the Marlies.

Censored23

May 20, 2011
Signings make a lot of sense.

With Dermott, Johnsson and Grundstrom probably making the Leafs roster, hopefully along with Rosen, Borgman, Lindholm, the Marlies are gonna need to be restocked.

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017
Maybe an indication that management are expecting more Marlies than just Johnsson/Dermott to crack the roster?

Reactions: Menzinger

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Maybe an indication that management are expecting more Marlies than just Johnsson/Dermott to crack the roster?

Just purely depth. Mirtle has strongly strongly hinted that changes will be made to the defensive core over the summer. Not sure what, where and when but I feel like he knows Dubas really wants to make it a lot more efficient.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

There's really not a whole lot of extra room for more than another 1-2, and the Marlies do need some filling out for next season. On the plus side, center depth won't really be an issue until the mid-2020s.

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017
Just purely depth. Mirtle has strongly strongly hinted that changes will be made to the defensive core over the summer. Not sure what, where and when but I feel like he knows Dubas really wants to make it a lot more efficient.
Okay, I wasn't sure earlier when Tavares signed, but now I'm definitely convinced this is all just a beautiful hallucination I'm having from the heat.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There's really not a whole lot of extra room for more than another 1-2, and the Marlies do need some filling out for next season. On the plus side, center depth won't really be an issue until the mid-2020s.

Though Mirtle (who seems tuned into the current management groups thinking) suggested Leafs maybtrafe Hainsey/Zaitsev whichbcould open up some new opportunities

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Doubt Subban becomes anything, small, offensive, defensemen who's a liability defensively. Marincin is meh, AHL fodder. Don't know anything about Cracknell.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Is it wrong that i'm nearly as excited about Jordan Subban as Tavares?
Guy has some serious potential. (yes, the D-man)

I would temper your expectations. As an Ontario Reign season ticket holder last season these are my observations: Subban is an excellent puck mover with a hard shot, but he is so undersized he is man handled around the net and he is not good at defense. In fact, he was a healthy scratch often the last month of the season for the Reign (rotated with Falkovsky), and didn't play one minute in the Calder Cup playoffs. There was a reason he wasn't qualified. He's not an NHL defensemen for sure in my eyes. Might be better to see if he can play RW. He is right handed.

Here is a review I wrote about him on April 28th

Player: Jordan Subban
Position: RD
Shoots: R
Age at start of 2018-2019 season: 23
Size: 5-9 185
Draft position: 4th round 2013 by Vancouver
How obtained: Trade from Vancouver in exchange for the Nic Dowd on December 8th, 2017
Years pro: 3
Prior season Team: Utica Comets (AHL) GP: 65 G: 16 A: 20 PIM: 36 +/- : -12
2017-2018 Team: Utica Comets (AHL)/Ontario Reign (AHL) GP: 52 G: 4 A: 9 PIM: 66 +/-: -12
Signed through: 2017-2018 season (RFA)

Review: Whenever the last name of Subban arrives in town a buzz is created, and that buzz reverberated throughout the Kings organization when Jordan Subban was obtained in a trade for Nic Dowd. There was some reason for the excitement as the now 3rd year pro potted 16 goals for the Utica Comets the season prior in just his 2nd season as a right-handed defensemen, something in short supply around the professional ranks. A quick check around the internet to see what the pundits were saying quickly tempered those expectations. Subban received significant praise for his hard shot from the point on the PP and for his puck moving abilities, but his play in his own end was widely questioned and he is undersized, so perhaps this was a project the Kings were willing to take a chance on to see if they could develop his defensive abilities. Upon his arrival to Ontario (he missed several games after being acquired due to an existing injury) his offensive game play was as advertised. He was dynamic skating with the puck out of his own end, and registered 2 goals, 1 assist, a +3 rating and 10 shots in his first 4 games and he quickly became a fan favorite. However, as the season dragged along, the reality of his overall play soon came into focus, as his lack of size, no matter how hard he battled, became an issue. Subban battles very hard, no doubt, but when you are physically over matched, there is only so much you can do. That, coupled with not having the best defensive acumen and positioning, soon became a burden for defensive oriented coach Mike Stothers. Subban soon found himself in a rotation for playing time with Falkovsky, as he was often a healthy scratch if there were enough healthy bodies. His offensive game also tapered off with only 2 goals and 3 assists in his last 32 games in ONT, not exactly what you would expect from an offensive minded defensemen receiving some PP time on the point. His last goal was on February 9th. Subban did not end on a high note, going scoreless his last 3 games with a combined -5 rating on the ice, and he never saw one minute of ice time in the Calder Cup playoffs.

Outlook: It is hard to say what is ahead for Subban and the Kings organization. As a restricted free agent, there is some question whether or not the Kings give him a qualifying offer at this point. At only 23 years old, it may be too early to give up on this prospect and he does possess some intangibles that are creative with an offensive punch if he can develop some consistency. Right now, he does not appear to have enough defensive prowess to play NHL defense. While it's in his favor that he is right-handed, the Kings have a whole slew of new defensemen coming up from the junior ranks and college next season. It's getting very crowded at the blue line once again.

Chance for success at the next level: It's difficult to imagine based upon his play in his own end this season that Subban could play as a defensemen in the NHL, even in the new and speedier version of the league. Perhaps his only path would be to convert to RW and see if his skill set could be maximized offensively, but it's unknown if that is even being considered.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Subban? Wonder if that means Sparks or Pickard are dealt now

Cracknell is depth and toughness more than anything - again wonder if this means Martin is gone...

Jordan Subban Scouting Report: 2013 NHL Draft Prospect Profile – Belleville Bulls

By Todd Cordell (@ToddCordell)
The 2013 NHL Entry Draft in New Jersey is approximately one month away. As we inch closer to this year’s draft, I’ll continue to plug away and post as many scouting reports on the top draft eligible players from the Ontario Hockey League as I can.
Here is my scouting report on 2013 draft eligible defenseman Jordan Subban of the Belleville Bulls.

Jordan Subban

Age – 18
Position – Defenseman
Height – 5′ 9″
Weight – 177
Draft Projection: 35th-45th
OHL Team: Belleville Bulls
2013 Regular Season Stats: 15 goals, 36 assists, 51 points, +22, 47PIM, 68 games played
2013 Playoff Stats: 2 goals, 3 assists, 5 points, +10, 20PIM, 17 games played
NHL Comparable(s) – PK Subban
Upside – 8/10

Strengths
– Jordan Subban is one of the most intriguing prospects in this year’s draft class – and not just because he’s PK’s brother. Subban is average defensively, but he’s an excellent skater who can rush the puck end-to-end regularly with little trouble. He’s a very confident player and has very good puck skills. Subban is outstanding in the shootout, as well. He’s a good passer, stick handler and can really control the puck once he gets it on his stick. Subban makes a strong outlet pass and can run a power play. He sees the ice well and has a good shot. He may be small, but he isn’t afraid to be physical and won’t back down from anyone. Subban’s not a big guy, obviously, but he’s feisty and he’s willing to put in 2nd and 3rd efforts to try and make a play. Like PK, Jordan likes to go for big open ice hits from time to time and often connects. Given his size, he’s a better hitter than you’d expect. Subban’s also a very passionate player and will do whatever it takes to win.

Weaknesses
– First and foremost, Subban needs to fill out. He’s small in stature but adding on some additional muscle will really help him when it comes to physical contact or battling for loose pucks. Subban is okay defensively, but there is room for improvement in terms of positioning, gap control, etc. If he’s willing to learn, that’s nothing good coaching can’t fix.

Career Projection
– If Subban can fill out and improve his defensive play, the sky is the limit for him. I think he can be a solid top-4 defenseman capable of quarterbacking a top power play unit

Reactions: blueberrie

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Seem like moves made to make sure that Marlies remain a top team.
You have to have depth in case of injury.
Players like Bracco/Timo/etc. may just not be ready if we need an emergency call.
You can never have enough depth.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
These signings tell me a few things:
1) Martin is probably gone now, and Cracknell could be the 14th forward to replace him. He does not play a purely tough style, but he's the type of big body who wears down opponents and could enter if the Leafs need some size or pure defensive ability. Really the fact of the matter is that I do not see him on the Marlies next year, because the Marlies have 5 good RW's as it is (and if they want to give youth some playing time, then why spend a contract on a guy who limits their playing time) and Cracknell is not much unlike Clune and Baun. Neither of them got much playing time for the Marlies down the stretch, and the Marlies already have Clune back on an AHL deal.
2) Hollowell and Durzi are likely in the OHL next year because Subban likely enters their spot as a #7 defenseman. Lindgren also likely is loaned back to the Liiga. Only way anything changes is if the Leafs have a deal for LoVerde or Holl.
3) There is going to be some sort of trade involving a minor defenseman because I highly doubt they roll with 8 guys under contract on the Marlies next year, and I highly doubt there will be 8 defenseman on the Leafs next year. Therefore Nielsen or Marincin could be sent out. Maybe even both.

Reactions: htpwn

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Subban is an interesting signing - he certainly need to fill up in order to survive

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->