Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs sign G Joseph Woll to 3-year entry-level contract (will report to Leafs, not Marlies)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Growler

May 16, 2018
I'd say Gordeev and Rasanen stay with the Marlies.

I did not Johnston was that good, but he is the right age for an AHL deal I would say. Top pairing I think should be a couple of guys with AHL experience, like Jardine, Corrado or LeBlanc were. Both of them would be Marlies insurance. Second pairing could be Rubins with another young guy from the NCAA or CHL on an AHL deal. So the top 4 would be AHL deals, and then the bottom 4 (outside of maybe Johnston) can be ECHL deals. I think you just bring back Pardy, Gudbranson and Melindy since they are your leadership group from this year, and all of them are pretty solid guys to have for a bottom pairing.

Jardine-Corrado
Rubins-CHL/NCAA
Johnston-Gudbranson
Pardy-Melindy

Scott-Bouthillier

Newfoundland will be on top with that defense if people play to expectations and the forwards continue to be stellar (which they should be; many of them should be coming back).

Agreed. The names are variables, but I agree with your concept. I forgot about Melindy, yes he will be back on an ECHl deal for sure. I am pretty sure this is Pardy's final year. Johnston has been a God-send for the Growlers this year. They found him by turning over rocks and he has been essential to keep things together with all of the attrition.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I just don't see it unless the cap has gone up significantly in 2 years. Matthews, Tavares, Marner will be making way too much.

Well it will due to expansion, and Andersen is not going to get a significant increase on the pie unless he wins a Vezina (which he also takes himself out of at one point or another).

I'm not super worried about Andersen pricing himself out. At the age he will be signing, and if he stays at a .920 goalie, he won't be making huge bucks. I wouldn't be surprised if he only gets like 8% (which if the cap is at 90 mill would be 7.2 mill per year) instead of the 7% he's getting right now, and that deal would only be like 3 or 4 years in length.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Was really excited when we drafted him. Him and Scott should be a good start to a new goalie system. Also hoping we sign Greenway

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I doubt if Woll gets much time with the Marlies this year.
But next year might be interesting, if the Leafs go with two rookie goalies in the AHL. Woll and Scott. Probably a third , a veteran on the team also.
With Sparks probably not in the Leafs long term plans and Andersson a UFA in two years., Woll and.or Scott have the opportunity to be Leafs "soon".

Reactions: Pyrophorus

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Another box ticked off.
Good chance for him if he hits the ground running.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Really love this kid. Think he's got serious potential.

Sounds like Woll has been following the Thatcher Demko path of development the past few years and Scott is a classic post draft riser. Feels like they are both a cut above the likes of Kaskisuo, Sparks, Bibeau, Gibson and the others we've been developing the past half dozen years.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I doubt if Woll gets much time with the Marlies this year.
But next year might be interesting, if the Leafs go with two rookie goalies in the AHL. Woll and Scott. Probably a third , a veteran on the team also.
With Sparks probably not in the Leafs long term plans and Andersson a UFA in two years., Woll and.or Scott have the opportunity to be Leafs "soon".

I wouldn't go that far. The pro development on these two could easily take three years in the minors with a game here and there before they're even fit for regular backup duty.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Sounds like Woll has been following the Thatcher Demko path of development the past few years and Scott is a classic post draft riser. Feels like they are both a cut above the likes of Kaskisuo, Sparks, Bibeau, Gibson and the others we've been developing the past half dozen years.
Scott is a weird one, was the highest drafted goalie since Carey Price I think and then had a couple meh years before breaking out huge this year. will be interesting to see him and Woll with the Marlies.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Scott is a weird one, was the highest drafted goalie since Carey Price I think and then had a couple meh years before breaking out huge this year. will be interesting to see him and Woll with the Marlies.

If you look at how good Prince Albert was, those 'meh' years are amazing.

Rookie year: .892 SVV (which is not too bad for a rookie), they were 5th in conference, 2nd in division
Draft year: .895 SVV, third worst team in the league, and honestly one of the best players they had.
D+1 year: .897 SVV, 6th in conference, 5th in division. Once again one of their best players.
D+2 year: .932 SVV, best in the league, easily their best player.

Really, Scott made those teams look better than they were, and then once they were actually good, he still was their best player they had and made them an elite team. I wanted him in the 2017 draft; he was one of my top picks and I thought he would go at least in the 3rd round. So 4th round was a steal.

It's not a terrible idea to take a respectable goalie on a young and upcoming team. Guys who look good on good teams are not rare, but finding a guy who can hold his own on a team that really sucks (like Scott did) is how you know there could be something good.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I'd say Gordeev and Rasanen stay with the Marlies.

I did not Johnston was that good, but he is the right age for an AHL deal I would say. Top pairing I think should be a couple of guys with AHL experience, like Jardine, Corrado or LeBlanc were. Both of them would be Marlies insurance. Second pairing could be Rubins with another young guy from the NCAA or CHL on an AHL deal. So the top 4 would be AHL deals, and then the bottom 4 (outside of maybe Johnston) can be ECHL deals. I think you just bring back Pardy, Gudbranson and Melindy since they are your leadership group from this year, and all of them are pretty solid guys to have for a bottom pairing.

Jardine-Corrado
Rubins-CHL/NCAA
Johnston-Gudbranson
Pardy-Melindy

Scott-Bouthillier

Newfoundland will be on top with that defense if people play to expectations and the forwards continue to be stellar (which they should be; many of them should be coming back).
Cory Dunn has done an admirable job so far as an offensive righty. 5A through 6 GP

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Cory Dunn has done an admirable job so far as an offensive righty. 5A through 6 GP

He's 25 already though, so it'd be up to Newfoundland to decide to keep him around for next year IMO. I'd aim for someone better out of the NCAA/CHL if I were the Leafs looking for another AHL deal option.

Reactions: Duke16

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
He's 25 already though, so it'd be up to Newfoundland to decide to keep him around for next year IMO. I'd aim for someone better out of the NCAA/CHL if I were the Leafs looking for another AHL deal option.

Maybe Alec McCrea out of Cornell? Not great offensively, but voted top defensive defenseman in the ECAC. He's not much younger but at least he has the accolades and defensive game on his side.

There will be plenty of options from which to choose, and one of them will choose an AHL deal even if they have to start in the ECHL. Maybe we should aim for CHL just to get a younger option. Maybe Theo Calvas out of North Bay? He's nothing special, but he's an American playing in the CHL (which likely means he'd prefer to go pro than to USports), and Dubas drafted him to SSM originally. Plus he's the perfect range for someone who may do half decently well in the ECHL, but not so amazing as he'd be too good for it. Kind of like Rubins 2.0, and Rubins has turned out well enough to bring back for another year.

Reactions: Growler

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Good news. I think it's a great time for him to get his pro career started.

Goaltender depth just skyrocketed with Scott and Woll in the fold for next season, as well as Kaskisuo and maybe even McAdam if he's brought back.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Are we looking at a Woll and Scott tandem in the AHL next year or is 1 of them possibly going to the Growlers

Ya never want to be the even number guy on the depth chart in the minors. Its better to be #1 on the ECHL team than #2 on the AHL team. If I'm one of those guys I'm telling the Leafs I'm #1 on one of those teams, I won't play back up to no one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad