Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs sign G Joseph Woll to 3-year entry-level contract (will report to Leafs, not Marlies)

Status
Not open for further replies.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I think Woll will start for the Marlies and Kaskisuo will backup.

Scott will start for the Growlers or possibly be loaned to a different AHL team to get his starts in as well. With Bouthillier on the Growlers as well
Scott and Woll should battle it out as a tandem in the AHL. Both are AHL ready.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Goalies dont peak until much older. Between 25 and 27. Woll is our number 1 of the future.

Joseph Woll Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

upload_2019-3-24_17-36-30.png

upload_2019-3-24_17-37-26.png

We have Freddy for 2 more years under contract.
and then he becomes expensive.
Hard to spend big money with all our good forwards making 11+

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Hunter left us in good shape with goalie prospects. Scott is a very good goalie and the same for Holl. I remember the last time we had two excellent goalie prospects we traded the wrong one. Let’s hope we keep both until they decide who is the better prospect. I loved the Woll pick as well.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It makes no sense to have them battle and take starts from each other.

One should start for the Marlies and one should start for the Growlers or another AHL team aka Kaskisuo last year
Two goalie tandem both need AHL competition and not inferior completion. Split starts and go with the better one come playoff time. Both rookies getting equal amount of starts and development seems like a good plan as they will both be rookies.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It makes no sense to have them battle and take starts from each other.

One should start for the Marlies and one should start for the Growlers or another AHL team aka Kaskisuo last year
competition is a good thing, and I think the Marlies are very good at developing players even if they aren't playing. See Bracco last year. I'd trust them to make a good decision, whatever they end up doing. I think having two capable goalies is a good thing in case of emergency, and the ECHL is probably not challenging enough for either

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Great to see we have some kids who could potentially supplant Andersen. I hope one or both become NHL quality tenders. If that happens in 2-3 years we will be laughing.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
They are good enough to lead us to the Calder Cup this year, so unless Woll just comes out blazing, I doubt he plays over them this year.

Next year, I have Woll splitting with Hutch for one year, with Scott and Bouthillier the goalies for the Growlers.

Garteig and McAdam are not that good. The Growlers' defense is not amazing, and I hope we try to improve it for next year in the interest for our two young goalie prospects down there, but the Growlers are still the best team in the ECHL and both of them have mediocre numbers and are old, so they should not be back next year.
Hutch isn't signed yet for next year is he? Wonder if this means he wont be.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Like you can forecast forwards pretty well just from PPG, it really seems like goaltenders that turn out consistently put up good numbers. That's what Woll has done four years in a row now.

I think teams can sometimes overscout. Of course you keep up to date, watch the players in person, rate their tools. But it should be in balance with the results as well. I'm reminded of Binnington, who has consistently put up good results. Read a prospect report on him a long time ago where the scout didn't like his tools, and didn't think he had the skill set to be anything more than an organizational player. Then later on when he crushed those expectations, it was similar but that he can't ever become anything else than a NHL backup at best. And now he's thriving as a starter, albeit with just a small sample size. At some point, you have to ask yourself if you've missed something if he continues to outperform expectations at every turn.

I don't think Woll is underappreciated in that way, but he goes from success to success just like Binnington did. I'm fully on board with him being a top goaltending prospect. I'm a little less sure about Scott.

Last edited:
Reactions: Walshy7

Growler

May 16, 2018
Neither Scott nor Woll have played a single pro game. Using them as a tandem for the Marlies and the #3 and #4 goalies in the system is fantasy.

Reactions: The Iceman

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Hutch isn't signed yet for next year is he? Wonder if this means he wont be.

I have Kaskisuo getting traded and Hutchinson re-signed. I have no issues with Kaskisuo, but Hutchinson was one of the few goalies better than Kaskisuo last year, and it is not like Kaskisuo has a future here anyways.

I dealt him to Tampa with Ozhiganov in a contract-dump move which may net us a late round pick if we are lucky. Like the Ashton-Broll deal a few years ago. Tampa is losing a fair number of RD next year without much to replace them, and is also losing their vet AHL goalie. Kaskisuo can be Ingram's backup, and Ozhiganov can be a cheap depth guy who could potentially be on their bottom pairing next year. Plus we know that Kucherov really wanted Tampa to sign him originally so there may be that connection.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
As far as I'm concerned, Andersen is as good as gone at the end of his contract. It's unfortunate but yeah, salary cap. Good thing our goalie prospect cupboard looks good (for now).
I don't see any reason whatsoever the team can't resign Andersen.

Nice to have two legit goalie prospects in the hopper. Been awhile...

Growler

May 16, 2018
They are good enough to lead us to the Calder Cup this year, so unless Woll just comes out blazing, I doubt he plays over them this year.

Next year, I have Woll splitting with Hutch for one year, with Scott and Bouthillier the goalies for the Growlers.

Garteig and McAdam are not that good. The Growlers' defense is not amazing, and I hope we try to improve it for next year in the interest for our two young goalie prospects down there, but the Growlers are still the best team in the ECHL and both of them have mediocre numbers and are old, so they should not be back next year.

Boom. The perfect post.

I thought Garteig would have been signed to an AHL deal and sent to the Growlers next year to back up Woll or Scott, but Bouthillier came along, so.

And you're right about the defence. Gilman/Dubas did a great job stocking the Growlers with forwards on AHL deals, but an extra couple on defence next year would make a difference. Something along the lines of: Gordeev, Rasanen, Gudbranson, Johnston on some combination of AHL/NHL deals + another AHL deal or two. Johnston definitely deserves an AHL deal. Not sure what they will do with Rasanen & Gordeev.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

Growler

May 16, 2018
I have Kaskisuo getting traded and Hutchinson re-signed. I have no issues with Kaskisuo, but Hutchinson was one of the few goalies better than Kaskisuo last year, and it is not like Kaskisuo has a future here anyways.
Woa. Throwing high heat on the posts. Completely agree.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Boom. The perfect post.

I thought Garteig would have been signed to an AHL deal and sent to the Growlers next year to back up Woll or Scott, but Bouthillier came along, so.

And you're right about the defence. Gilman/Dubas did a great job stocking the Growlers with forwards on AHL deals, but an extra couple on defence next year would make a difference. Something along the lines of: Gordeev, Rasanen, Gudbranson, Johnston on some combination of AHL/NHL deals + another AHL deal or two. Johnston definitely deserves an AHL deal. Not sure what they will do with Rasanen & Gordeev.

I'd say Gordeev and Rasanen stay with the Marlies.

I did not Johnston was that good, but he is the right age for an AHL deal I would say. Top pairing I think should be a couple of guys with AHL experience, like Jardine, Corrado or LeBlanc were. Both of them would be Marlies insurance. Second pairing could be Rubins with another young guy from the NCAA or CHL on an AHL deal. So the top 4 would be AHL deals, and then the bottom 4 (outside of maybe Johnston) can be ECHL deals. I think you just bring back Pardy, Gudbranson and Melindy since they are your leadership group from this year, and all of them are pretty solid guys to have for a bottom pairing.

Jardine-Corrado
Rubins-CHL/NCAA
Johnston-Gudbranson
Pardy-Melindy

Scott-Bouthillier

Newfoundland will be on top with that defense if people play to expectations and the forwards continue to be stellar (which they should be; many of them should be coming back).

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I don't see any reason whatsoever the team can't resign Andersen.

Nice to have two legit goalie prospects in the hopper. Been awhile...
I just don't see it unless the cap has gone up significantly in 2 years. Matthews, Tavares, Marner will be making way too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->