GDT: Maple Leafs @ Sabres | 7PM - TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Shilton reporting that Sparks will be brought up to backup McBackup.

Babcock said Matthews will travel with the team to Buffalo to “get a good skate in”

Expect the same lines otherwise.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
So happy Andersen is getting less games this time of year and hope that his injury isn't serious.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Hopefully buffalo doesn't score 3 flukely random goals..
Fun fact referees have assisted on 3 goals against us this year.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Hopefully Johnsson gets another game in.

That hit he took seemed to throw the rest of his night off, he was flying his first shift or two prior to that.

Some PP time would help too.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I mean in theory the Leafs should be poised to beat Buffalo after losing last week to them. But the game is in Buffalo and there's that weird Buffalo voodoo that goes on that makes it very hard for the Leafs to win down there.

I don't know what to expect and I'm a little scared.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I mean in theory the Leafs should be poised to beat Buffalo after losing last week to them. But the game is in Buffalo and there's that weird Buffalo voodoo that goes on that makes it very hard for the Leafs to win down there.

I don't know what to expect and I'm a little scared.

It's a pretty meaningless game in the grand scheme of things if that helps.

Reactions: Walshy7

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Thursday game preview: Toronto Maple Leafs at Buffalo Sabres

Can we expect a rematch between Sabres defenceman Rasmus Ristolainen and Leafs centre Nazem Kadri?

Thursday game preview: Toronto Maple Leafs at Buffalo Sabres | Toronto Star

rasmus.jpg.size-custom-crop.1086x0.jpg

Buffalo’s Rasmus Ristolainen the Leafs’ Nazem Kadri dropped their gloves earlier this month. (Jeffrey T. Barnes / The Associated Press)

By Kevin McGranSports Reporter
Wed., March 14, 2018

KEYBANK CENTRE
FACEOFF:
7 p.m.
TV: TSN 4
RADIO: Sportsnet 590 The FAN
KEY PLAYERS
Ristolainen/Kadri
Sabres defenceman Rasmus Ristolainen promised a rematch with Nazem Kadri after the two got into a fight in Buffalo's 5-3 win over Toronto earlier this month. Ristolainen had two assists against the Leafs that game, but has been held pointless in the three games since. Kadri was minus-3 against Buffalo, but bounced back with two goals against Pittsburgh.
NEED TO KNOW
The Sabres are coming off a five-day break … With an eye to the future, the Sabres called up goalie Linus Ullmark from the AHL even though regular goalies Robin Lehner (a pending restricted free agent) and Chad Johnson (a pending unrestricted free agent) are healthy. Ullmark, who has a 2.44 goals-against average and .923 save percentage with Rochester, turned aside 44 of 45 shots in a January start with the Sabres ... Jack Eichel (high ankle sprain) has missed 14 games and is practising, but is not likely to play Thursday. The Sabres are 6-6-2 without Eichel … Forwards Seth Griffith (upper body) and Evan Rodrigues (ribs) returned to practice fully on Tuesday and might play Thursday night. Kyle Okposo (concussion) and Kyle Criscuolo (shoulder) remain out.
UP NEXT
Saturday, vs. Montreal, 7 p.m.

Game Day: Maple Leafs at Sabres
Lance HornbyMore from Lance Hornby
Game Day: Maple Leafs at Sabres

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS at BUFFALO SABRES
Thursday, 7 p.m., KeyBank Center
TV: TSN4; Radio: 590 AM
THE BIG MATCHUP
RW Ryan O’Reilly vs. G Curtis McElhinney

O’Reilly seemed to be everywhere last week when the Sabres sprang to life and beat the Leafs 5-3. The Sabres had a few fortuitous bounces, one off the referee’s skate to O’Reilly as Toronto looked disinterested at times at the end of an 0-4 road trip. McElhinney, solid in the second of back-to-back games all year, goes for his eighth win, but has yet to beat Buffalo (0-3-0-0).
FIVE KEYS TO THE GAME
DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY
The Leafs played against Dallas on Wednesday, while Buffalo has had a long layoff. The Sabres always get extra pep when all those blue and white sweaters show up in the stands, and the last loss dropped Toronto’s record in these parts to 29-64-6-6. Buffalo has also managed to play .500 hockey within the division.
LINEUP FLEXIBILITY
Star Sabre Jack Eichel is practising this week after a month off with a high ankle sprain, but is not playing. Calling up Andreas Johnsson for Wednesday’s game means the Leafs can go back to the Swede or reinstate Matt Martin or Josh Leivo. The Sabres also summoned 6-foot-4 forward Justin Bailey on Wednesday.
CENTRES OF ATTENTION
With signs pointing to Auston Matthews coming back in the next few days from a shoulder injury, this could be the last spin in the middle for William Nylander the next while, while Mitch Marner and Leo Komarov will be moved around later as well. The experience has been a good one.
HANG ON
It’s a subjective stat rink-to-rink, but Buffalo being credited with almost less than half the giveaways Leafs do has a ring of truth about it.
SHOOT OUT SURETY
If they encounter the usual resistance from Buffalo, but can force the game to overtime and beyond, the Leafs are tied for the NHL lead with six shootout wins. Buffalo has just one, though it has only been in three such matches this season.
MAPLE LEAFS GAME DAY LINES
LW C RW
Zach Hyman William Nylander Mitch Marner
Patrick Marleau Nazem Kadri Leo Komarov
James van Riemsdyk Tyler Bozak Connor Brown
Andreas Johnsson Tomas Plekanec Kasperi Kapanen
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Morgan Rielly Ron Hainsey
Jake Gardiner Roman Polak
Travis Dermott Connor Carrick
GOALIES
Curtis McElhinney
Frederik Andersen
SICK BAY
C Auston Matthews
D Nikita Zaitsev
SABRES GAME DAY LINES
LW C RW
Scott Wilson Ryan O’Reilly Sam Reinhart
Benoit Pouliot Johan Larsson Jason Pominville
Zemgus Girgensons Evan Rodrigues N. Baptiste/S. Griffith
Jordan Nolan Jacob Josefson Justin Bailey
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Marco Scandella Rasmus Ristolainen
Brendan Guhle Casey Nelson
Nathan Beaulieu Victor Antipin
GOALIES
Robin Lehner
Chad Johnson/Linus Ullmark
SICK BAY
D Zach Bogosian
D Jake McCabe
F Kyle Okposo
SPECIAL TEAMS
POWER PLAY
Toronto 21.8% (6th)
Buffalo 16.8% (27th)
PENALTY KILLING
Toronto 82.7% (6th)
Buffalo 79.2% (21st)

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'd consider starting Sparks for this one given the Leafs play on Saturday night. McBackup played two periods plus OT and a SO last night. 3 games in 4 nights would be a lot for him.

Reactions: Cotton

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I think they will recall Sparks to back-up McElhinney.

McElhinney was supposed to play in tonight's Game because of the Back to Back scheduled and I think they will give Andersen the Game off and maybe he will play the Habs on Saturday.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think they will recall Sparks to back-up McElhinney.

McElhinney was supposed to play in tonight's Game because of the Back to Back scheduled and I think they will give Andersen the Game off and maybe he will play the Habs on Saturday.

Makes sense too. Worst case they could start Sparks on Saturday against an injured, bad Habs team.

Reactions: Budsfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad