Maple Leafs PP is embarrasing (Babs rips into assitant)

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
It's wicked bad but this is a great time to be bad. More than enough time to correct it for the playoffs. And you just know they will.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
It's wicked bad but this is a great time to be bad. More than enough time to correct it for the playoffs. And you just know they will.
Just playing along but how do you know this? What metric or indicator says they'll fix this for the playoffs? Certainly not past playoff performances and the fact they don't draw many penalties shows that it's likely they don't really fix it.

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
Just playing along but how do you know this? What metric or indicator says they'll fix this for the playoffs? Certainly not past playoff performances and the fact they don't draw many penalties shows that it's likely they don't really fix it.
Typical HF. Always requires a metric. I just know hockey. Drawing penalties also has nothing to do with powerplay efficiency.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

They had 23 SOG on the PP last game vs the Rangers

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Babcock feeling the pressure haha, but blowing your top on bench at colleague - not cool. Just shows a lack of self control.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
It happens. Assistant coach change can do wonders. Todd Richards saved Tampa's PP and PK. It's not personal, it's about coaching. They will be fine.

Sharks caught fire when they shuffled the coaches around too. Sometimes just need a different eyes on a problem.

Hopefully will teach Leafs fans humility and maybe next year then won't make threads like best PP ever and Reilly running away with Norris with gaudy numbers after a few months. I get it you guys sucked for a long time so it is exciting to cheer for a good team finally.

But I won't hold my breath.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
It's not just Leafs fans who thought that. During the preseason when they scored 2 or 3 power play goals by their #1 line, I remember Ray Ferraro saying they had a chance as a team to score at least 100 power play goals this season.

Wait - what?

Are you actually saying TSN was part of the Maple Leaf hype machine and was pandering to the Leaf audience by hilariously exaggerating and pumping the teams tires?

That is shocking!

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I've never quite understood the coaching dynamics on NHL teams. I get that each guy has their roles and the PP coach is generally left to his devices. But if a PP is struggling that badly for that long and the head coach is a supposed genius, at what point does he step in to help the PP?

Reactions: dukeofjive

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
One thing that was mentioned a while ago (I think it was by Kadri or Tavares, but I can't remember exactly who said it) is that the Leafs don't get many powerplay opportunities at all for whatever reason, so it's hard for them to find their groove when they're up a man so infrequently. Being 21st in the league in PP conversion percentage is undoubtedly inexcusable when your lineup is stacked with that much talent, but some of this can be explained by their overall lack of powerplay opportunities.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Wait - what?

Are you actually saying TSN was part of the Maple Leaf hype machine and was pandering to the Leaf audience by hilariously exaggerating and pumping the teams tires?

That is shocking!
First of all it was said by Ray Ferraro who despite being one of the analysts for TSN is not a Leafs fan and does other games. So it's not one of those TSN = Toronto Sports Network examples that non Leafs fans love to keep saying.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
One thing that was mentioned a while ago (I think it was by Kadri or Tavares, but I can't remember exactly who said it) is that the Leafs don't get many powerplay opportunities at all for whatever reason, so it's hard for them to find their groove when they're up a man so infrequently. Being 21st in the league in PP conversion percentage is undoubtedly inexcusable when your lineup is stacked with that much talent, but some of this can be explained by their overall lack of powerplay opportunities.
I would also add as of today Toronto ranks 30/31 in power play time and has been at the bottom of the league basically the whole season.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Babcock is becoming an overrated coach. Not sure if his style doesn't suit today's game or what.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
First of all it was said by Ray Ferraro who despite being one of the analysts for TSN is not a Leafs fan and does other games. So it's not one of those TSN = Toronto Sports Network examples that non Leafs fans love to keep saying.

Oh yeah the "non Leaf fans" are just making all that stuff up and there's no bias whatsoever on TSN.

What was I thinking?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
So Ray Ferraro says one statement that he thinks the Leafs could possibly score 100 power play goals and it's just another example of TSN pandering to Leafs fans.

Correct.

How dimwitted do you have to be to think taking JVR out and adding Tavares is going to suddenly and dramatically change the Leafs power play?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Correct.

How dimwitted do you have to be to think taking JVR out and adding Tavares is going to suddenly and dramatically change the Leafs power play?
Besides the power play it's not like Tavares did not replace the total goals that JVR scored. Last season JVR had 36 goals and Tavares is currently at 33 goals.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Cool... And how many power play goals did the Leafs score last year?
I know that last season the Leafs were 2nd overall in power play percentage. However it's not Tavares fault for their recent struggle when they are playing 5v4 and since Toronto is currently 30/31 in power play time it's hard to improve it during a game. There have been a number of games where they were given only 1 power play and a few times when they were given 0 power plays in some games.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I know that last season the Leafs were 2nd overall in power play percentage. However it's not Tavares fault for their recent struggle when they are playing 5v4 and since Toronto is currently 30/31 in power play time it's hard to improve it during a game. There have been a number of games where they were given only 1 power play and a few times when they were given 0 power plays in some games.

Cool... So - again - how many power play goals did the Leafs score last year?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I already said how last season Toronto was 2nd overall in the league on the power play. What else do you want me to say?

How about you simply answer the question you have been asked twice already, and now a third time: How many power play goals did the Maple Leafs score last year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->