Maple Leafs PP is embarrasing (Babs rips into assitant)

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Nope. That was Leaf fans comparing Matthews to McDavid after his first NHL game.
Man some of the posts in that thread and the thread about the Leafs PP being the best of all time are pure gold!
If any Leafs fans did that at least it was a better comparable since they were back to back 1st overall picks. The over hyping of Pettersson by Canucks fans is crazy when there is a thread like this.

Elias Pettersson Milestone Thread

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Qs assistant coaches took the fall multiple times for the horrible PP set up while he was here. Hawks PP was dead last in the NHL when he got canned and it’s been operating as the number 1 PP in the league since December. Always thought it was weird that a PP with Patrick Kane was so bad especially when you consider we had a shooter like DeBrincat and puck movers like Gustafsson and Toews on the same unit.

Take that for what you will.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If any Leafs fans did that at least it was a better comparable since they were back to back 1st overall picks. The over hyping of Pettersson by Canucks fans is crazy when there is a thread like this.

Elias Pettersson Milestone Thread
Lol! McDavid was touted as a generational player for years. Matthews not so much. The comparison was idiotic. You have a two time Art Ross winner who is likely going to be generational compared to a player who was never in that same tier. Talk about ridiculous overhyping.
The EP-Matthews comparison on the other hand as we’ve seen is clearly a good one that reasonable people can go either way on.
Anyways this thread is about the Leafs PP so I’ll leave you to it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I remember some Leafs fans saying before the year that it's likely they might have the best pp% ever....
It's not just Leafs fans who thought that. During the preseason when they scored 2 or 3 power play goals by their #1 line, I remember Ray Ferraro saying they had a chance as a team to score at least 100 power play goals this season.

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Huh? The Leafs are still near the top of the standings. A mediocre PP doesn't change that. You sound like the Toronto media tbh. People like Steve Simmons have made a career off of tabloid-like stuff like this. I can see a headline from him now; "the shanaplan is eroding". Fear mongering.

Shanaplan intact, then

- Leafs not at the top of standings as predicted
- Matthews injuries
- Calls for Babcock to be fired on Leafs board
- bad Nylander deal
- bad Matthews deal
- Marnergate
- Babcock publicly threatening his coach thatthat h fire him if the PP doesn't improve.

These are all things that happened..no fear mongering.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
It happens. Assistant coach change can do wonders. Todd Richards saved Tampa's PP and PK. It's not personal, it's about coaching. They will be fine.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
- Marnergate
That needs to be taken with a grain of salt. The story was written by Dave Feschuk who previously called James Reimer's mother a few years ago asking if he had a concussion. So he has a history of writing negative Leafs stories and should not be taken seriously.

Last edited:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Shanaplan intact, then

- Matthews injuries
- bad Nylander deal
- bad Matthews deal
- Marnergate
- Babcock publicly threatening his coach thatthat h fire him if the PP doesn't improve.

Hot takes out the wazoo I see

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Shanaplan intact, then

- Matthews injuries
- bad Nylander deal
- bad Matthews deal
- Marnergate

I agree, but they are also close to the top, but you are right they have completely underperformed.

Shanahan can control Matthews' health? Maybe he should've just taken Laine instead, he's doing so well.

Rightfully so, he sucks.

Nylander got paid slightly more than his comparable, his deal was completely fair relative to his production.

Same thing with Matthews.

Marner's agent gate*.

Babcock is an egotistical moron, ofc he calls out stagnation while ignoring his own awful coaching, it's what he does.

That's closer to what happened than what you said.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Hot takes out the wazoo I ee
One of the worst of those is the Leafs not being at the top of the standings. I don't recall anyone predicting them to be in 1st place. I remember Tampa Bay was talked about being in 1st place and Toronto would finish 2nd in the Atlantic. So far that's what is happening and in the overall standings Toronto is currently 6th out of 31 teams.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
One of the worst of those is the Leafs not being at the top of the standings. I don't recall anyone predicting them to be in 1st place. I remember Tampa Bay was talked about being in 1st place and Toronto would finish 2nd in the Atlantic. So far that's what is happening and in the overall standings Toronto is currently 6th out of 31 teams.
Nah bro, that's ridiculous. Nobody predicted the leafs would finish 2nd. Nobody would predict contract issues with Matthews or Marner or anyone else. Lies!

ijuka

May 14, 2016
without JVR the PP just doesn't work, he held everything together with his net front presence.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Who's a good lip reader and can tell me what they said

:laugh:

Hes from Northern Ontario.... most people cant even understand the guy when hes looking right at him and they can hear his voice. You want a lip reading from the side?

"Hewh Hilsy man, think bout changingthatthere powerplay. Give yah 5 bucks for some new ideas, that's a disgrace it's the NHL man. Please. Faceoffs nothing to do with it...give ya a five. Give ya a five just draw em up."

And his mouth never moved once...

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Their problem is not having a shooter anyone really fears.

Matthews and Tavares are great goal scorers but that is mostly in front of the net.

Im hoping that Muzzin is the guy who can blast it from the point. I agree though. Mathews has a nice release but it tends to be in close.

I think it has something to do with good players being married to the pretty passing plays

YES! so much this!

So much fancy dangling that rarely translates into a goal. Garbage goals carry the same weight on the scoreboard. I kind of miss JVR for those.

Reactions: Kcb12345

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
The PP is absolutely loaded with talent having the main unit consist of Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Rielly, and Kadri. They were red hot to start the year but since December have been at the bottom of league, and their PP has fallen to 21st in the league.

There has been 0 changes to the PP outside of splitting them into two units for 2 games before putting things back. It's become predictable and is a massive flaw in the team heading into the playoffs. At what point are there changes made? Jim Hiller is in charge of the PP and last night after yet another disgusting PP this was the scene on the bench

What do people think about this?

That they kissed and made up later in the hotel room.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Leafs: "Our PP is an embarrassment"

Penguins: "Hold our beer"
Penguins are tied for 6th in the league man, far from an embarrassment.

Meanwhile the Capitals powerplay (13th in the league) has been doo doo for nearly 30 games now. Ultimately this happens to powerplays and Babcock is a preening peacock, guys just annoying and he's done a pretty mediocre job coaching this Leafs team this year.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I think the far more troubling stat for the Leafs is that they draw the least amount of penalties in the entire league. It really shows they're more of a finesse team then ever and I really don't see that translating to playoff success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad