Maple Leafs PP is embarrasing (Babs rips into assitant)

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Their problem is not having a shooter anyone really fears.

Matthews and Tavares are great goal scorers but that is mostly in front of the net.
Wow didn't even see this when I skimmed through the thread. Here's 3 from the PP this year:

The problem is that because Matthews' shot is so good and so feared, teams are giving him absolutely no space now on the PP, and we are struggling to find shooting options other than him. Embarrassing post.

Reactions: Kamiccolo

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
They have no one timer on the PP

Caps have Karlsson and Ovechkin ripping bombs the whole time , leafs have no bombs

This is exactly why I think teams with skill but no real one time threat can go hot and cold a lot more than teams who do have that option. When the PK is taking away all the passing options, especially in close/in the slot, you need that one timer from the point/top of the circle to score.

IMO, it's the reason both the Leafs and Penguins struggle at times. When the passing lanes and quick movement is there, potent. But when the down low options aren't there, they have no real long range threats to do some damage and force the PK to not focus on within 25 feet of the net.

Reactions: Leafy Undergrowth

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Why are you posting in a thread you don't care about? Move along if this is the case. There is actually a story here and for someone like Babs who is so known for being stoic and calm no matter what it's very odd to see him go off on him like that.

13 posters agreed with me that they don't care about this.

Does HF have a leafs forum?

Reactions: nturn06

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
The funny thing is, they're not even arguing about the pp here lol

Towards the end you can see Hiller say "Im just saying, when its tied....."

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Leafs PP is just too predictable. Rielly rarely shoots, so you can just apply light pressure there. The pass is going to Marner on the right halfboards (Plan A) or Matthews on the Left. If it goes to Matthews he is going to shoot it or give it back to Rielly. If it goes to Marner he is going to attempt a low pass to Tavares or cross zone to Kadri/Matthews. So easy to defend and almost no movement. Its a powerplay full of highly skill offensive experts. A monkey could make this powerplay dangerous. Every player on that unit is a great passer and puck handler, they need to add a whole bunch of player movement and not be so predictable.
This. It's a boring setup that is easy to defend against and it shouldn't be.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Stick to a pk system/don’t focus on single players and have a goalie play up to it, that’s how teams shut down all star filled power play units

Keep it simple

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
13 posters agreed with me that they don't care about this.

Does HF have a leafs forum?

I'll answer the same way I always do, if you check the main board right now, there are several threads about specific teams / players that could also go on their boards. The main board is abot stories around the league, which includes the Leafs. I suggest just moving along if it doesn't interest you and letting it fall off the first page if no one cared, or alternatively, let the mods know your opinion and allow them to make the decision to keep it opened or not.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Leafs PP is just too predictable. Rielly rarely shoots, so you can just apply light pressure there. The pass is going to Marner on the right halfboards (Plan A) or Matthews on the Left. If it goes to Matthews he is going to shoot it or give it back to Rielly. If it goes to Marner he is going to attempt a low pass to Tavares or cross zone to Kadri/Matthews. So easy to defend and almost no movement. Its a powerplay full of highly skill offensive experts. A monkey could make this powerplay dangerous. Every player on that unit is a great passer and puck handler, they need to add a whole bunch of player movement and not be so predictable.

I’d love to see Tavares swing out to the half boards from time to time, or move down to the side of the goal where JVR used to be more as opposed to right in the slot.

Flip Matthews and Marner sides to mix up the angles.

Toss Muzzin on the point for a bit to have a one timer/slap threat.

They don’t need to overhaul the idea of Marner dishing stuff into the slot or Matthews coming in off the half board and toe dragging into a wrister, that stuff is deadly as evidenced by them having a historically good unit last year with basically the same setup. But as you said, that can’t be the *only* thing they do.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I
I'll answer the same way I always do, if you check the main board right now, there are several threads about specific teams / players that could also go on their boards. The main board is abot stories around the league, which includes the Leafs. I suggest just moving along if it doesn't interest you and letting it fall off the first page if no one cared, or alternatively, let the mods know your opinion and allow them to make the decision to keep it opened or not.
its certainly thread worthy. It's a power play with a ton of fire power that is in the bottom third of the league. That's why there is an ignore thread function. Ignore threads you don't like, instead of continuing to post in them saying you don't like them.

Reactions: Kamiccolo

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I thought they were just arguing over who was going to be the last one standing in Game of Thrones...

Speaking of bad PPs, anyone seen Montreal's lately? Brutal. Cost them the game last night. 4 on 3 in OT and they still can't score?

Reactions: dukeofjive

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Only on the second unit.

There’s been basically zero changes to the PP aside from shifting I think I was Kadri or Matthews to the second unit for like 2 games.

Feel like Nylander as a RHS in the bumper playing a role like Oshie and Bergeron might be interesting.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I thought they were just arguing over who was going to be the last one standing in Game of Thrones...

Speaking of bad PPs, anyone seen Montreal's lately? Brutal. Cost them the game last night. 4 on 3 in OT and they still can't score?
Honestly though, Habs have been a bit of a surprise in the standings but I'm not surprised at their power play. But a team that has AM, JT, Marner can't score on the power play? Burke at the start of the year said key to beating Leafs is stay out of the box and avoid overtime.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If you have Marner and Matthews switch sides, they'd likely pick it back up. Otherwise, take Kadri off for Muzzin or Nylander.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Their problem is not having a shooter anyone really fears.

Matthews and Tavares are great goal scorers but that is mostly in front of the net.

By this do you mean that Matthews and Tavares are not capable to scoring from center ice or from their own blue line? Because, most power plays recently the Leafs can't even manage a controlled zone entry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->